5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Towing Help, Please...

Savagescott

Reaction score
I’m no expert, but a couple things that may be worth considering. I did tow my much lighter 4K boat 900 miles recently and the 5.7 (non ET) 3.92 handled it superbly even through the steep interstate terrain in TN & NC. Trans in tow/haul picked gears spot on.

1. Blind spot with trailer coverage is awesome, even with non tow mirrors. I assume tow mirrors still have this but may want to confirm.
2. Air suspension may be the way to go, but I’ve read it can error out past max load.
3. May be worth considering a WD setup.
4. Depending on trailer brakes, may be worth an upgrade.
5. Etorque may not be worth the extra expense, it’s basically a high end start stop and is not a real hybrid/power on demand setup.

I like the idea of the air ride. I understand about the overloading shutoff but I don’t think that would a big risk for me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 will be a refreshed 4th Gen that will look like the 5th Gen both inside and out. 2022 model year will be the refreshed 5th gen 1500 and ththe redesigned 5th Gen HD.

That is the best info so far. January will be the debut at NAIAS.

Really, the best I can tell you is the 1500 is like a SUV of the early 2000s, the HD is now like a 1500 ofthe early 2000s. If that makes any sense about ride quality and capacity is the opposite. I have a thread comparing the 5th Gen to the 2nd Gen and the 1500 is comparable to the 2500 of then.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either...but then I have seen people here having issues parking their 1500 and a 2500 is only gonna be harder.

You can also see in my signature that I am having this same dilemma. My current plan is to wait til January to see the 2019 HD and then make a decision. I really have til 2021 calendar year til I want to makethe leap. But am getting anxious. So right now the plan is April for a decision.

Last edited:

Savagescott

Reaction score
The 2019 will be a refreshed 4th Gen that will look like the 5th Gen both inside and out. 2022 model year will be the refreshed 5th gen 1500 and ththe redesigned 5th Gen HD.

That is the best info so far. January will be the debut at NAIAS.

Really, the best I can tell you is the 1500 is like a SUV of the early 2000s, the HD is now like a 1500 ofthe early 2000s. If that makes any sense about ride quality and capacity is the opposite. I have a thread comparing the 5th Gen to the 2nd Gen and the 1500 is comparable to the 2500 of then.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either...but then I have seen people here having issues parking their 1500 and a 2500 is only gonna be harder.

You can also see in my signature that I am having this same dilemma. My current plan is to wait til January to see the 2019 HD and then make a decision. I really have til 2021 calendar year til I want to makethe leap. But am getting anxious. So right now the plan is April for a decision.

While still not 100%, I’m leaning toward the 1500... if it doesn’t do the job next summer, I’ll look to upgrade. I just keep going back to the distance and type of towing/hauling I do and I think the 1/2 ton will meet my needs 99% of the time.

What did you mean by “issues parking their 1500...”?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The size has some people having issues with garages and some seem to have issues parking by curbs and etc.

Most likely first time truck owner stuff...the stuff that one day will get easier for them.

I live in the country and have driven trucks since I was able to reach the pedals...so I sometimes forget there are people who are new to this and I have forgotten the learning curve.. lol

RebelMike

Reaction score
I had the same thoughts you did @Savagescott before I bought my truck. I really considered a 2500 just to be safe. After doing some thinking and research, I ended up going with a 1500 Rebel. I just didn't think the 2500 was practical for everyday driving. I have the 3.92 rear, etorque combo, and I have not been sorry so far. I tow and haul quite a bit as well, and this truck handles the job great. I think as long as you do some homework and get a truck with the right tow and payload capacity, you will be fine with a 1500. Just as a side note I have the tow mirrors with blindspot detection, and they work great with trailers.

I also have driven trucks forever, and agree with devildodge that some newer drivers may need a learning curve. One thing I have noticed, this is the first truck I have had with tow mirrors, and parking lots, and some side streets can be exciting with them.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I had the same thoughts you did @Savagescott before I bought my truck. I really considered a 2500 just to be safe. After doing some thinking and research, I ended up going with a 1500 Rebel. I just didn't think the 2500 was practical for everyday driving. I have the 3.92 rear, etorque combo, and I have not been sorry so far. I tow and haul quite a bit as well, and this truck handles the job great. I think as long as you do some homework and get a truck with the right tow and payload capacity, you will be fine with a 1500. Just as a side note I have the tow mirrors with blindspot detection, and they work great with trailers.

I also have driven trucks forever, and agree with devildodge that some newer drivers may need a learning curve. One thing I have noticed, this is the first truck I have had with tow mirrors, and parking lots, and some side streets can be exciting with them.

The "daily driver" question is where I'm stuck. I'd have a 1 ton in the garage for towing and something else for everyday if I could but, I can't. As I've said, I was comfortaable on my towing test drive - I don't really think I'm at much risk of overloading so I guess the decision is good enough, good enough.

I've been driving SUVs and pick-ups for a long time, too, so no worries about the newbie effect.

Rocket930

Reaction score
I just started towing my enclosed trailer with car in it
With my 2019 limited crew cab 4x4 limited 5.7 with 3.21 towing package .the truck was great when to Virginia from mass. And
Back 11.5 mpg at 75 to 80 most of the way tow mirrors are great
Also blind spot mirrors with trailer detection can be changed to 39 feet so changing lanes at night in rain was easy had plenty of power up and down hills
Weight 7500 to 8000 handled like a dream

Rocket930

Reaction score
Should of said 2019 1500 Ram 4x4 crew cab limited with air suspension

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea of the air ride. I understand about the overloading shutoff but I don’t think that would a big risk for me.

When it over loads, it just goes to normal height and won’t let you go higher or lower until you pull some weight off the hitch. It does not seem to effect the towing.

Bigguy

Reaction score
Devildodge, 2019 Rebel 4x4 with non e-torque hemi and air suspension on order. Looking at a 5th wheel shortly after. Model I'm interested in has a 1445 lb hitch weight, 8891 UVW, 2019 CCC, for a total of 11,000 GVWR. You see any tow issues with this combo? Thanks

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Devildodge, 2019 Rebel 4x4 with non e-torque hemi and air suspension on order. Looking at a 5th wheel shortly after. Model I'm interested in has a 1445 lb hitch weight, 8891 UVW, 2019 CCC, for a total of 11,000 GVWR. You see any tow issues with this combo? Thanks
You looking at a 2500? What trim? If you are looking at a 1500, I feel you should read a few of our other threads here in the towing section.

1445 lb hitch weight is all of the payload on 90 % of the trucks we have data on and in some cases is 300lbs more than most have available.

We need more info about the truck you are planning on buying.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would say 1445 lb hitch weight on a Rebel with air suspension, maybe just a little too much...others may think differently, but that is 2500 territory...possibly 3500 on higher trims.

But i am sure the RV company says half ton towable:)

Bigguy

Reaction score
I would say 1445 lb hitch weight on a Rebel with air suspension, maybe just a little too much...others may think differently, but that is 2500 territory...possibly 3500 on higher trims.

But i am sure the RV company says half ton towable:)

Thanks - No, I wouldn't ask the RV dealership - they'd be biased for sure. ;) 2019 Rebel 4x4, Hemi, 5'7"bed. Says it has a 1930 lb payload capacity. With a couple hundred pounds for the hitch, I am getting close. Just wondering if it would be "too close" for the payload and towing capacity. I tow a 6k boat with my 2017 Ram 4x4 5'7" and it's a non issue with it. 11K will be the heaviest I've towed.

2019 Rebel
  • Payload Capacity - When Properly Equipped - Standard
  • Towing Capacity - Maximum
  • Towing Capacity - Standard

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks - No, I wouldn't ask the RV dealership - they'd be biased for sure. ;) 2019 Rebel 4x4, Hemi, 5'7"bed. Says it has a 1800 lb payload capacity. With a couple hundred pounds for the hitch, I am getting close. Just wondering if it would be "too close".
Did you get the 1800 lb number from a door sticker or from a towing chart?

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/page-13

Check this out. The highest Rebel is 1623, and that is without air suspension. So that leaves you with 178 lbs. You don't have the hitch in yet which you say is a couple hundred pounds and for reference I weigh 295...way over weight.

2500 territory for sure...but some will try to say the 1500 can do it.

Bigguy

Reaction score
Did you get the 1800 lb number from a door sticker or from a towing chart?

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/page-13

Check this out. The highest Rebel is 1623, and that is without air suspension. So that leaves you with 178 lbs. You don't have the hitch in yet which you say is a couple hundred pounds and for reference I weigh 295...way over weight.

2500 territory for sure...but some will try to say the 1500 can do it.

Thanks Man - I appreciate the responses. Looks like I'll be trading the Rebel I haven't got yet, in a year or so. :(

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Rebel
  • Payload Capacity - When Properly Equipped - Standard
  • Towing Capacity - Maximum
  • Towing Capacity - Standard
Just saw this. Yeah those are very inflated numbers. Our highest documented Payload is 1856, and most are under 1500.

7100 is GVWR and 17000 is GCWR.

So if you max the truck out of GVWR your trailer can weigh 9900 lbs.

I am not real familiar with 5th wheels...but if you stay close to unladen weight on the trailer would the number for hitch weight go down, or is that base and it will actually go up if you load the trailer?

I too am trying to convince myself the 1500 could work for me.
But, it just doesn't have the payload for my needs. Now running empty...it will haul more trailer than I could need. Unfortunately, mine won't run empty.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
While still not 100%, I’m leaning toward the 1500... if it doesn’t do the job next summer, I’ll look to upgrade. I just keep going back to the distance and type of towing/hauling I do and I think the 1/2 ton will meet my needs 99% of the time.

You can do what I am doing.. going to lease for a few years.. if I like it I will buy the refreshed model of that year... I think it might be a WIN WIN, you get to test out the 1500 to see if you like it. If you do, then you get a new one in 3 years after they have fixed and improved things in this generation..

Also if you are concerned with payload capacity you can strip the options you don't want. And do it again in 3 years when your lease ends..

JoeRam

Reaction score
A fifth wheel is not advised with these trucks, ask anyone who owns a fifth wheel and they will all tell you no way. As everyone has pointed out the RAM advertised tow capabilities but, as noted they are not specific to your vehicle. the door jamb sticker will enlighten you of what you truly can and can not tow/pull/haul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread