5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Towing Help, Please...

Savagescott

Reaction score
I tow an 8800# boat/trailer and my 2015 Tahoe won't cut it. I've been a GM guy but love the look of the new RAM. Did a test drive towing my boat w/ a 1500 Limited and it seemed to be solid - acceleration/power was good, no issues stopping, etc. However, guys that know trucks better than I are telling me I really need to consider going to a 3/4 ton for this size trailer, which I'd rather not do., if possible. (I tow about 1800 miles in the summer, the longest trip usually about 100 miles).

I've also been told the GM 3/4 tons ride and handle more like a 1/2 ton because they don't have a solid front axle, etc. vs stiffer riding Ford and RAM 3/4 tons. Considering towing is only about 15% of my miles, I'd rather stay with what I perceive as the smoother ride of a 1/2 ton.. The 1/2 ton I'm most interested in is the 1500 Limited etorque w. 3.92.

Comments, suggestions and advice are much appreciated.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I tow an 8800# boat/trailer and my 2015 Tahoe won't cut it. I've been a GM guy but love the look of the new RAM. Did a test drive towing my boat w/ a 1500 Limited and it seemed to be solid - acceleration/power was good, no issues stopping, etc. However, guys that know trucks better than I are telling me I really need to consider going to a 3/4 ton for this size trailer, which I'd rather not do., if possible. (I tow about 1800 miles in the summer, the longest trip usually about 100 miles).

I've also been told the GM 3/4 tons ride and handle more like a 1/2 ton because they don't have a solid front axle, etc. vs stiffer riding Ford and RAM 3/4 tons. Considering towing is only about 15% of my miles, I'd rather stay with what I perceive as the smoother ride of a 1/2 ton.. The 1/2 ton I'm most interested in is the 1500 Limited etorque w. 3.92.

Comments, suggestions and advice are much appreciated.

@devildodge will be right with you - tow wizard :geek:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are so many towing heavy with this 1500 that if you are only towing less than 100 miles at a time, and I guess about 18 times a year...I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ram.

Now if you can tell us your terrain and what other gear/passengers you are taking...I can make a better assumption as to ask you why you don't already own it ;)

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tend to lean towards your line of thinking. Buy the vehicle you’re going to use most of the year rather than the one you’re going to use a few times a year. A properly configured Ram will handle that boat without issue as long as you’re not being unrealistic about the weight, ie, filling bait or live wells, a ton of equipment, etc.

Savagescott

Reaction score
There are so many towing heavy with this 1500 that if you are only towing less than 100 miles at a time, and I guess about 18 times a year...I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ram.

Now if you can tell us your terrain and what other gear/passengers you are taking...I can make a better assumption as to ask you why you don't already own it ;)

Great question! The boat was a late season acquisition; just got it in August and since boating and towing season is now unfortunately over in MN, I’ve been able to take my time in my search for a new vehicle.

We don’t have a lot of additional stuff... estimating maybe 600# in passengers, tops, and maybe an additional 200# in the bed.

If I were to consider a 3/4 ton, what would the benefit be? How will the ride, comfort differ? Is the claim about GM being a more comfortable 3/4 ton true?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The benefits to a 3/4 ton is towing with payload.

With 800 lbs of payload you would be pushing the limits of the Limited. Another Trim would help, but since your towing time is limited...the Limited would work I am sure.

One thing the Ram 2500 have is Coil spring rear suspension. I have no experience with Chevy trucks. But i would bet the Ram ride would be as good. And plenty have said the Ram 3/4 ton handles loads better than the fords and chevys.

If you are only towing the little you say and terrain is not steep grades...get the 1500 and enjoy your Truck more often...the 2500 is only going to be a joy while towing, and others have said the 1500 is a joy for that also.

Tow what you feel comfortable...and it seems on your test ride you were comfortable

Savagescott

Reaction score
The benefits to a 3/4 ton is towing with payload.

With 800 lbs of payload you would be pushing the limits of the Limited. Another Trim would help, but since your towing time is limited...the Limited would work O am sure.

One thing the Ram 2500 have is Coil spring rear suspension. I have no experience with Chevy trucks. But i would bet the Ram ride would be as good. And plenty have said the Ram 3/4 ton handles loads better than the fords and chevys.

If you are only towing the little you say and terrain is not steep grades...get the 1500 and enjoy your Truck more often...the 2500 is only going to be a joy while towing, and others have said the 1500 is a joy for that also.

Tow what you feel comfortable...and it seems on your test ride you were comfortable

I was comfortable during my little test. My former boat was about 5800# which the Tahoe handled fine. I felt like the RAM handled the new rig as well and maybe better than the Tahoe handled the former.

I’m a conservative driver when towing .. especially when towing 4 tons. I suspect others expect to drive with a load like they do empty and in that case, I can see where a bigger tug would be necessary.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I was comfortable during my little test. My former boat was about 5800# which the Tahoe handled fine. I felt like the RAM handled the new rig as well and maybe better than the Tahoe handled the former.

I’m a conservative driver when towing .. especially when towing 4 tons. I suspect others expect to drive with a load like they do empty and in that case, I can see where a bigger tug would be necessary.

And btw.... pretty flat terrain around here so that’s not really a concern.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate on the 1500. Seems like you respect the load you are towing and respect other people on the road. On flat terrain and staying at the speed limit...I think the Ram 1500 will be all the truck you need.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate on the 1500. Seems like you respect the load you are towing and respect other people on the road. On flat terrain and staying at the speed limit...I think the Ram 1500 will be all the truck you need.

I appreciate your input... especially since it looks like your a 3/4 ton kinda guy!

DeanKing

Reaction score
I bought my Ram to tow a travel trailer and haul stuff. I maxed out its towing capacity with options (3.92 and etorque). Then I found out that 11000 lb towing figure was really misleading. I have 1240 lbs of payload. 15% tongue weight on an 8800 lb boat is basically the entire payload. You can’t put any actual people in the vehicle. You can always tow over the capacity and hope nothing goes wrong cause that’s a get out of jail free card for FCA in a lawsuit. At least you were smarter than me and asked these questions BEFORE you bought the truck. One thing I read is that one of the limiting factors in payload tends to be tires. So perhaps beefing up the tires would buy you some more capacity. I bet the new RAM HD is going to be really nice....

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking a boat would be closer to the 10% tongue weight.

@Savagescott do you know the tongue weight of your boat.

I use 3/4 ton trucks cause I haul more than I tow and I haul when I tow.

I have plenty of threads on here that show my dilemma with the 5th Gen 1500.

I just sold my 2013 Cummins, cause well I learned I need a 3/4 ton but the Cummins Is overkill and not needed.

If you have the tongue weight of your boat we can look into this more...and 4x4 or 4x2

GATORB8

Reaction score
Have you thought about storing the boat at the lake? While we've towed ours around a good bit, I certainly enjoy the freedom that comes with just tying up in a slip at the end of a long day.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I was thinking a boat would be closer to the 10% tongue weight.

@Savagescott do you know the tongue weight of your boat.

I use 3/4 ton trucks cause I haul more than I tow and I haul when I tow.

I have plenty of threads on here that show my dilemma with the 5th Gen 1500.

I just sold my 2013 Cummins, cause well I learned I need a 3/4 ton but the Cummins Is overkill and not needed.

If you have the tongue weight of your boat we can look into this more...and 4x4 or 4x2

Took it to the truck scale before I put it away... tongue weight in 700#. (which I was concerned about. It ties fine-no swaying, etc.). Current weight of the boat is actually 8540#... I estimated 8800# to accommodate some additional weight. And.... I’d say my 800# payload estimate would be max.

I’ll look for your threads about the 2019 2500.... Are you optimistic about what they’ll be?

Savagescott

Reaction score
Have you thought about storing the boat at the lake? While we've towed ours around a good bit, I certainly enjoy the freedom that comes with just tying up in a slip at the end of a long day.

We have many places we like to boat... land of 10,000 lakes, and all so keeping it on the trailer is the best option for us.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Took it to the truck scale before I put it away... tongue weight in 700#. (which I was concerned about. It ties fine-no swaying, etc.). Current weight of the boat is actually 8540#... I estimated 8800# to accommodate some additional weight. And.... I’d say my 800# payload estimate would be max.

I’ll look for your threads about the 2019 2500.... Are you optimistic about what they’ll be?
I am pretty excited about the 5th HD...but i really want to get a Rebel.

I would still have my 2 2500s to do the heavy lifting...but I really want a new truck that does it all. Really ththe only thing the 1500 won't be able to do is haul a ton of something in the bed...but I plan to buy a dump trailer.

700lb tongue weight, 800 lb cargo...yeah that is gonna be right on a 1500, but the 2500 is too much...lol...so it really comes down to doingwhat @YoAdrian did andget a truck with high payload, or drive cautiously and responsibly, or figure some unique cargo placement.

GATORB8

Reaction score
I’m no expert, but a couple things that may be worth considering. I did tow my much lighter 4K boat 900 miles recently and the 5.7 (non ET) 3.92 handled it superbly even through the steep interstate terrain in TN & NC. Trans in tow/haul picked gears spot on.

1. Blind spot with trailer coverage is awesome, even with non tow mirrors. I assume tow mirrors still have this but may want to confirm.
2. Air suspension may be the way to go, but I’ve read it can error out past max load.
3. May be worth considering a WD setup.
4. Depending on trailer brakes, may be worth an upgrade.
5. Etorque may not be worth the extra expense, it’s basically a high end start stop and is not a real hybrid/power on demand setup.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boy we have talked so much about the tow mirrors anand surround view, I don't know about the blind spot.

I agree with @GATORB8 suggestions.

We have lots of hills here in Pa and it isn't really the going up that is an issue, it is the coming back down.

Weight Distribution hitch really makes the towing experience better.

And if your boat has electric trailer brakes, the trailer brake controller when setup really takes the brake duties of the truck and a well balanced trailer and truck braking really takes away the white knuckle experience.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I am pretty excited about the 5th HD...but i really want to get a Rebel.

I would still have my 2 2500s to do the heavy lifting...but I really want a new truck that does it all. Really ththe only thing the 1500 won't be able to do is haul a ton of something in the bed...but I plan to buy a dump trailer.

700lb tongue weight, 800 lb cargo...yeah that is gonna be right on a 1500, but the 2500 is too much...lol...so it really comes down to doingwhat @YoAdrian did andget a truck with high payload, or drive cautiously and responsibly, or figure some unique cargo placement.

To solve the payload issue, most anything I put in the truck I could move to the boat for the trips to the cabin. I really think it would be rare that I would hit 800# of payload.

Based on your experience and your best guess about the 2019 2500, would I be disappointed in it as a daily driver? You think the interior will be the same as the 1500? How different is the ride from 1500 to 2500?

I’ve looked into WD hitch but my trailer has a long tongue and the manufacturer, Mastercraft, recommends against WD ... not sure why yet.

No electric brakes but I’ve been very impressed with the surge brakes... seem to engage at the right time and at the amount.

GATORB8

Reaction score
To solve the payload issue, most anything I put in the truck I could move to the boat for the trips to the cabin. I really think it would be rare that I would hit 800# of payload.

Based on your experience and your best guess about the 2019 2500, would I be disappointed in it as a daily driver? You think the interior will be the same as the 1500? How different is the ride from 1500 to 2500?

I’ve looked into WD hitch but my trailer has a long tongue and the manufacturer, Mastercraft, recommends against WD ... not sure why yet.

No electric brakes but I’ve been very impressed with the surge brakes... seem to engage at the right time and at the amount.
I think the expectation is 2020 is the HD refresh.
There should be some surge specific WD hitches, but it may be worth a swap to an electric/hydro setup that you can control with a trailer brake controller. May be able to upgrade the trailer without replacing. A controlled setup can literally pull your truck to a stop on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread