5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Towing Help, Please...

KurtA

Reaction score
I bought my Ram to tow a travel trailer and haul stuff. I maxed out its towing capacity with options (3.92 and etorque). Then I found out that 11000 lb towing figure was really misleading. I have 1240 lbs of payload. 15% tongue weight on an 8800 lb boat is basically the entire payload. You can’t put any actual people in the vehicle. .

Why such a small payload capacity?

DeanKing

Reaction score
Why such a small payload capacity?
There is a lot of weight in a fully optioned crew cab truck. I believe a minimally optioned quad cab can haul over 2000 lbs so all that stuff adds up.

KurtA

Reaction score
There is a lot of weight in a fully optioned crew cab truck. I believe a minimally optioned quad cab can haul over 2000 lbs so all that stuff adds up.
My quad cab is pretty much loaded out ( for a Big Horn, anyway). I can't imagine leather seating is going to add that much weight? 20181127_194331.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My quad cab is pretty much loaded out ( for a Big Horn, anyway). I can't imagine leather seating is going to add that much weight?
If you haven't already read this

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/

@Zeronet got most of the options down to a weight.

There is alot more weight just from the quad to the crew.

@KurtA is your truck 4wd or 2wd. You do have one of the highest payloads. If it is 4wd that is the highest I believe

DeanKing

Reaction score
If you haven't already read this

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/

@Zeronet got most of the options down to a weight.

There is alot more weight just from the quad to the crew.

@KurtA is your truck 4wd or 2wd. You do have one of the highest payloads. If it is 4wd that is the highest I believe
Just to clarify that last statement. Having 4wd lowers your overall payload capacity.

For anyone that hasn’t figured this out yet:
2wd, quad cab, v6 provides the most payload
4wd, crew cab, etorque v8 provides the least payload

That is why people say the loaded trucks haul less. It isnt the leather or a 12 inch touchscreen that make that much difference.

I feel the etorque is the biggest trickster. They market it as increasing towing capacity by around 1000 pounds. It it actually lowers payload by around 100 which is the tongue weight of that 1000. That is some irony. Also something that a lot of salespeople don’t probably know.

alantry

Reaction score
Should of said 2019 1500 Ram 4x4 crew cab limited with air suspension

When you plug In the 7 pin, does the trailer indicator show up on your dash cluster? Or is there any other indication that its reading the trailer breaking system? Last week I towed my 5'x8' trailer (no breaks) to NY, and I got the trailer light with (20 feet) showing (used the 4 pin) . I just picked up my 8.5 x 18 foot trailer and got no indication that the truck recognized it. All I got was when the vehicle started up, it said go to "vehicle settings". It seemed like the brakes were working, but I'm not 100% sure since it was an empty load.

I have a service appt, and Im just wondering if this is something else I need them to check

GATORB8

Reaction score
When you plug In the 7 pin, does the trailer indicator show up on your dash cluster? Or is there any other indication that its reading the trailer breaking system? Last week I towed my 5'x8' trailer (no breaks) to NY, and I got the trailer light with (20 feet) showing (used the 4 pin) . I just picked up my 8.5 x 18 foot trailer and got no indication that the truck recognized it. All I got was when the vehicle started up, it said go to "vehicle settings". It seemed like the brakes were working, but I'm not 100% sure since it was an empty load.

I have a service appt, and Im just wondering if this is something else I need them to check
You should be able to activate the trailer brakes with the trailer brake controller paddles in the center stack. Should be able to stop your truck with it at idle speed and no throttle.

JoeRam

Reaction score
@alantry you should be able to lock up the trailer brakes while moving along slowly using the controller paddles as well as what @GATORB8 mentioned above

alantry

Reaction score
You should be able to activate the trailer brakes with the trailer brake controller paddles in the center stack. Should be able to stop your truck with it at idle speed and no throttle.
I will try that tomorrow.

Did you get any sort of indication that you had a trailer attached?
When I connected my 5x8 using the 4 pin, it gave me the little trailer icon on the instrument cluster saying I was at 20ft (assuming for blindspot)
When I attach and plug in my 18' trailer, I get none of that. I'm just trying to determine if there is a wiring issue, or if the truck isn't recognizing a trailer being attached.

Users who are viewing this thread