5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Real World MPG Numbers

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven’t taken an interstate trip yet at 70-80mph. At 55-60 I can pull off 23-25 mpg. Hopefully it will do ok at a higher speed.

aLarge92

Reaction score
It has been a while, but I have tracked all the miles since purchase. I just hit my 1 year anniversary with 18,000 miles. I will update the spreadsheet when I get a chance.
Some quick comments though, I have noticed the mpg increase with more miles driven. After installing a tonnou cover my mpg's have increased and stabilized more.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. Should be getting a tonneau cover soon.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has been a while, but I have tracked all the miles since purchase. I just hit my 1 year anniversary with 18,000 miles. I will update the spreadsheet when I get a chance.
Some quick comments though, I have noticed the mpg increase with more miles driven. After installing a tonnou cover my mpg's have increased and stabilized more.

Mine's been pretty consistent since day one, 17-18mpg 80/20 mixed driving. The only time mines drops is if I idle for a while which I rarely do.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There has to be something wrong with mine..
You're not alone. I get in the 12's with 80% around town, short trips. And I'm not a very heavy footed driver.
I think if ours were burning more gas than others, then the exhaust would smell of it.
But since my exhaust has no odor, I think I may just be getting more power out of my engine than these guys claiming 18+ mpg. What else would explain such vast differences? Again, I'm not a lead foot.

golfguy3253

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2021 Laramie, crew cab short bed, 3.21, 5.7 eTorque, 4x4, tonneau cover and I am struggling to get more than 15.2 for mpg.
Definitely don’t have a lead foot, and my driving is pretty even between city and highway. I’ve only got about 2,800 miles On it right now but I’ve definitely been very disappointed by the Mpg.

Velocity

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 5.7 eTorque, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, with 3.21’s. About 2500 miles on it so far, I’m averaging about 17 mpg overall with 70/30 hwy/city driving. This is my first Ram, always been a GM guy. With my last GM truck I was averaging 22 mpg on my commute to and from work and with the Ram I have to baby it to get 17.5 mpg on the same trip, most of the speeds are between 55-65 mph, rarely get above 65, not many stops and never any traffic. The mileage on the window stickers were similar, 18/24 with the GM and 17/23 with the Ram. I honestly thought they’d be closer in mileage, hoping it gets better with more mileage on the truck. I’ve never had a truck that didn’t get close to the window sticker mileage until this one.

wiskyram

Reaction score
First tankful was 26.9. So glad I got rid of that lumberwagon F150 for this truck.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a '21 Laramie CC 6-4 Bed 4x4 and I got 27.4 MPG on a 750
mile trip from NH to Newport News Va. That was on one 33 Gal Tank.

I blame the Winter Diesel Blend and A Tight Engine for not getting the
29 MPG Rating. Only had 1500 miles on it before the Trip. Hopefully
the GDE Tune can gain me another 1-2 MPG, along with HP and Torque
increases.

Malodave

Every20years

Reaction score
4X4 crew cab with the 5’7” bed, 3.92 gears, standard size tank, worst average for the tank hand calculated is 24, best is about 29, EcoDiesel of course. Almost 9k miles on it, no issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the what I am hoping for when my 1500 Ltd arrives. Someday. Been 2 weeks since I ordered and already itching to get it. I got the EcoDiesel for the mileage and the 3.92 for the mountain driving. Hate how my 2002 Dakota downshifts to go up I70 or worse when going up roads less travelled. Same with my wife’s Honda Pilot and it’s V6. Even with the 8-speed tranny on the V6 the mountains just kill you.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have just about 4500 miles on my RAM and using an app called Road Trip (iPhone only) my hand calculated mileage so far is:

Mixed (60/40) - 18.06
Highway Only - 19.94
City Only. - 15.96
City/Tow. - 13.99
Total Avg. - 17.66

I live at a 5500 foot elevation with many hills to climb just to get to a store, so the city MPG is excellent considering.
The towing is a 3500 lb load - trailer and Honda Talon. Again up and down hills and mountains all at high elevation.
The Highway only was on a single trip to Colorado at speeds of 80+ for most of it and 10,500 elevation climbing.

All things considered I am happy with my mileage so far.

Last edited:

realralfy

Reaction score
2020 Laramie Crew 4WD
2" lift
34" Tires
Mostly suburban driving, not a lot of miles on the highway....avg 13 to 14 mpg when corrected for tire size...

Truck will get approx 21 mpg on the highway at interstate speeds...(around 75 mph)

Rasmot

Reaction score
I'm still confused as how some of yall get 16+ mpg. I'm averaging ~14mpg city and a little over 15mpg highway with minimal idle time. Highway speeds are averaging 70+ mph though (in Texas). When towing my boat (unsure of load weight) mpg drops to 10-11.

I have a 2020 Laramie 5.7 etorque with 5800 miles. 4x4, ORP, 3.92 axle, 33 gal tank, peragon truck bed cover. First oil change was done at 5k miles. Didn't notice an improvement to mpg with the truck bed cover.

Could the axle size affect the mpg by that much?

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm still confused as how some of yall get 16+ mpg. I'm averaging ~14mpg city and a little over 15mpg highway with minimal idle time. Highway speeds are averaging 70+ mph though (in Texas). When towing my boat (unsure of load weight) mpg drops to 10-11.

I have a 2020 Laramie 5.7 etorque with 5800 miles. 4x4, ORP, 3.92 axle, 33 gal tank, peragon truck bed cover. First oil change was done at 5k miles. Didn't notice an improvement to mpg with the truck bed cover.

No it won't. It only affects mpg on the highway when the 3.21 can upshift yet and lower its rpms but the 3.92 can't. In the city there should be no significant difference.

Mostly MPG is affected by driver style, and speed. 70+ mph is going to really dig into it. You can only get EPA ratings by going about 60 mph on the freeway. I "park" in the right hand lane and rarely hit the brakes, never use cruise, and let the truck "coast" up hills etc. I'm not hypermiling but I'm not passing people either.

BowDown

Reaction score

3:92 rear isn't helping nor the 4x4
Not surprised about the bed cover, debated it for a while on previous truck (its fuel mileage sucked with 3:92's) but saw mythbusters debunk the bed cover fuel savings myth and decided no

BowDown

Reaction score
No it won't. It only affects mpg on the highway when the 3.21 can upshift yet and lower its rpms but the 3.92 can't. In the city there should be no significant difference.

Mostly MPG is affected by driver style, and speed. 70+ mph is going to really dig into it. You can only get EPA ratings by going about 60 mph on the freeway. I "park" in the right hand lane and rarely hit the brakes, never use cruise, and let the truck "coast" up hills etc. I'm not hypermiling but I'm not passing people either.

I disagree with only affecting highway, I have 3:21 and in the city around 40mph, I regularly see 25-26 mpg. I do agree with driving style having a big impact, I usually only use enough throttle that in normal driving my shift points are around 2000-2200 rpm

silver billet

Reaction score
I disagree with only affecting highway, I have 3:21 and in the city around 40mph, I regularly see 25-26 mpg. I do agree with driving style having a big impact, I usually only use enough throttle that in normal driving my shift points are around 2000-2200 rpm

MPG is directly related to speed + rpms. Both trucks have the ability to use all 8 gear ratios in the city, meaning the rpms will drop as low as possible for the speed you're at. That means that both trucks can drive around in the city at 1200 - 1500 rpms, no difference.

On the highway, the 3.92 runs out of gears whereas the 3.21 can upshift one more time, dropping the rpms yet again. On the highway when both are in 8th, the 3.21 will always be 400-ish rpms lower, that's where the difference is.

Users who are viewing this thread