5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Real World MPG Numbers

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish that were true but each individual truck has its own components, and no two trucks perform identically.
I think this will have to be a circumstance where we have to agree to disagree respectfully. Each component is identical to the next one as they're made on an assembly line by machine.
I think each truck has its own personality and will perform as such. My last truck I got 15 mpg. Some were getting more (18-19) and some were getting less (12-13). While age plays a role (these were 20 year old trucks) there is something to be said for the assembly as well.

Even though this isn't 20+ years ago, there are assembly tolerances. These aren't Ferraris so trucks will roll off the line and pass the QA check without perfect alignment of every part. All of these tiny differences will add up to the vehicle's "personality".
If the machines built every truck the exact same way then all of us would have cracked/leaking rear windows or nobody would.
My truck is similar to many others and is "bone stock" except for Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, but very few are in my area. Weather, altitude, driving habits (no matter how slightly different), road conditions, etc., all play into the end result.

I've got 30K miles and have never reset Trip B. It tells me that I'm getting 15.0 mpg average overall (which is probably closer to 14.6 mpg). Would I like 16 mpg? Yes. Would I want a different vehicle (car, SUV, etc.) to do that? Nope. I love my truck and it does what it does. If I really anticipate traffic and drive at 65 mph on the freeway I can get in the 16's for mpg for the tank. It only takes a few miles of fun for the mpg to plummet. I drive how I want (still 65-70 mph on the freeway) and end up around 15 mpg usually.

I drive 25K+ miles a year. If I was concerned about my fuel costs I would have gotten a car (Lexus or Mercedes) for about the same as I paid for my RAM). I thought about it but I've had a pickup truck for 20 years and can't ever see myself without one.

I would have gone the eTorque route except it was the first year out and it was a $1200 option for 2019 (for 2020 trucks it's only $200).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think each truck has its own personality and will perform as such. My last truck I got 15 mpg. Some were getting more (18-19) and some were getting less (12-13). While age plays a role (these were 20 year old trucks) there is something to be said for the assembly as well.

Even though this isn't 20+ years ago, there are assembly tolerances. These aren't Ferraris so trucks will roll off the line and pass the QA check without perfect alignment of every part. All of these tiny differences will add up to the vehicle's "personality".
If the machines built every truck the exact same way then all of us would have cracked/leaking rear windows or nobody would.
My truck is similar to many others and is "bone stock" except for Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, but very few are in my area. Weather, altitude, driving habits (no matter how slightly different), road conditions, etc., all play into the end result.

I've got 30K miles and have never reset Trip B. It tells me that I'm getting 15.0 mpg average overall (which is probably closer to 14.6 mpg). Would I like 16 mpg? Yes. Would I want a different vehicle (car, SUV, etc.) to do that? Nope. I love my truck and it does what it does. If I really anticipate traffic and drive at 65 mph on the freeway I can get in the 16's for mpg for the tank. It only takes a few miles of fun for the mpg to plummet. I drive how I want (still 65-70 mph on the freeway) and end up around 15 mpg usually.

I drive 25K+ miles a year. If I was concerned about my fuel costs I would have gotten a car (Lexus or Mercedes) for about the same as I paid for my RAM). I thought about it but I've had a pickup truck for 20 years and can't ever see myself without one.

I would have gone the eTorque route except it was the first year out and it was a $1200 option for 2019 (for 2020 trucks it's only $200).
Did you really just compare machined engine components to window seals? Lol. Drive for smiles, not miles my friend.

river rat

Reaction score
You all do realize that the cafe mpg numbers are complied using the base model truck, correct? In other words the lightest, bare bones, no frills truck is how they got the mpg stated on the windows sticker.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you really just compare machined engine components to window seals? Lol. Drive for smiles, not miles my friend.
I was merely using that as an example that if every truck was made exactly the same then they would all have exactly the same problems...and they don't.

I agree...drive for smiles. (y)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You all do realize that the cafe mpg numbers are complied using the base model truck, correct? In other words the lightest, bare bones, no frills truck is how they got the mpg stated on the windows sticker.
Idk why everyone thinks that without actually looking it up. Here you go...

There is a catch though...EPA numbers are developed in a area that's no warmer than 70°F and no more than 18% humidity (I think it said). Which those factors yield the best gas mileage. (Per EPA website). So Manufacturers won't ever test their vehicles for gas mileage in the summer.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was merely using that as an example that if every truck was made exactly the same then they would all have exactly the same problems...and they don't.

I agree...drive for smiles. (y)
Not always the case....you said it earlier though. Even If 2 trucks were built exactly alike...there are factors like temperature, climate, elevation, humidity, driving habits that will effect performance, gas mileage and longevity more often than anything else. So no...they wouldn't all have the same problems. See what I'm saying? I think we're both correct to an extent here lol.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Ive got the 3.92. Just went through 2 tanks at 70 mph no traffic and no stopping inbetween fill ups. 19.9 and 20.6 hand calculated. The truck said 20.5 and 21.2 respectively.

Reactions: cj7

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 20 Laramie crew short bed 5.7 etorque 3.92, payload 1310.
Drive like a Granny, 60/40 highway/city, regularly get 20-21 real.
Drive like normal, same conditions, get 17-18.
Drive with a heavy foot, knowingly or not, and more local, get 15-16.
Towing a 28’, 6700# travel trailer with 70sqft frontal, get 10.

I am sure that the driver accounts for the biggest part of the differences everybody sees, then environment, then equipment, and then, production variation.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Idk why everyone thinks that without actually looking it up. Here you go...

There is a catch though...EPA numbers are developed in a area that's no warmer than 70°F and no more than 18% humidity (I think it said). Which those factors yield the best gas mileage. (Per EPA website). So Manufacturers won't ever test their vehicles for gas mileage in the summer.
From the EPA list for 2019 there were six different Ram pickup vehicles used in testing, both the 3.5 V6, 4x4 and 2wd, the Hemi, and the HFE model. All are listed as having a 3.21 axle ratio.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035944 miles.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the EPA list for 2019 there were six different Ram pickup vehicles used in testing, both the 3.5 V6, 4x4 and 2wd, the Hemi, and the HFE model. All are listed as having a 3.21 axle ratio.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035944 miles.
I could swear I saw one with a 3.55 ratio...maybe not...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could swear I saw one with a 3.55 ratio...maybe not...
I rechecked.

My apologies. Yes, the V6s are listed with the 3.55 axle.

That sure is an ugly xl spread sheet to view on a 20" monitor!

Best regards,
Dusty

Gozar

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn longbed 5.7 eTorque,
local/city driving and I get maybe 15mpg/highway 17mpg,
heavy foot and it is 13-14mpg
towing a 29ft 7000lb travel trailer 10mpg or 6-7mpg in the mountains.
So I put in a pedal commander and at least enjoy the rapid acceleration while sucking up the gas.....

Adrian

Reaction score
Ive got the 3.92. Just went through 2 tanks at 70 mph no traffic and no stopping inbetween fill ups. 19.9 and 20.6 hand calculated. The truck said 20.5 and 21.2 respectively.
Hi there, how many miles on your truck? That’s pretty good mpg. Have heard it takes upwards to 20k kilometres before you see better gas mileage.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I rechecked.

My apologies. Yes, the V6s are listed with the 3.55 axle.

That sure is an ugly xl spread sheet to view on a 20" monitor!

Best regards,
Dusty
Hehe, try viewing it on a phone...takes a while.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Hi there, how many miles on your truck? That’s pretty good mpg. Have heard it takes upwards to 20k kilometres before you see better gas mileage.
Ive got about 6500 miles on it now. Ive noticed it improve over time. This was the first big drive i made buring through 2 tanks in a day.

Adrian

Reaction score
Ive got about 6500 miles on it now. Ive noticed it improve over time. This was the first big drive i made buring through 2 tanks in a day.
Thank you. I have about 10k kilometres about half and half city highway and dash shows 11mpg. Hoping it improves over time.

The Critic

Reaction score
Since I bought my truck back in March 2020 I have been tracking the real-world MPG. I know this has been talked about before but I wanted to throw out my 2 cents Fwiw, Some comments below:
  • When I bought the truck I was hoping to average 18 mpg.
    • Currently Averaging 15.90 mpg after 5750 miles, I believe I am past engine break-in period, just need to get a first Oil change done
    • This was considering the gearing and additional weight for my truck
  • I opted the extra $$ for the E-Torque (yes I know it's unproven, but as an engineer, it had my attention and curiosity)
    • As people have stated on this forum before there is the belief the E-Torque actually decreases Mpg, I am beginning to think this may be true as potentially the Electric motor is not disengaging as it should, requiring the Hemi to work harder leading to less mpg
    • The Auto start/stop isn't that bad honestly
  • "Don't expect to get good mpg in that big truck, you idiot!"
    • I drive like a grandpa, never accelerate fast and if I can use cruise control I will
      • I have read the Hemi gets better Mpg when you accelerate hard so I have been considering giving it a try.
    • I would hope to be somewhat close to the sticker...
    • My father averages better than the sticker on his F150 (16',23.4mpg, 2.7EB, 2wd,45k miles)
  • I understand Mpg will vary truck to truck spec to spec and most sticker mpg rating systems are flawed
    • If this is true then give me a more realistic estimate of what I will achieve, just be honest up front.
  • "Bro! I average 23mpg in my rebel lifted blah blah blah"
    • Track the numbers as I have and prove it to me.
  • The game of premium fuel, technically the engine is optimized for 89 but can run 87
    • I am still testing out different fuels to see if the price difference is worth the extra mpg.
Overall I love my truck, I just wish Ram was more upfront about the Mpg values because at the end of the day we all pay at the pump.
  • Some key things about my truck
    • Completly stock
    • Crew Cab 4x4
    • 6'4" Bed
    • 5.7 E-Torque
    • Off-Road Group
    • Air Ride (truck will drop to Aero Mode)
    • 33gal tank
    • GVWR (7100 lb)
    • Max payload (1172 lb)

Honestly, your fuel economy is an excellent considering your configuration. The longer bed, 3.92 and 4wd will reduce your fuel economy....especially the 3.92 gears.

I have a 3.21, short bed, 4x2 and eTorque. My average over 1300 miles is showing 18.5 on the onboard computer....which is usually .5-.7 high. My driving is a mix of city and highway.

Zig10

Reaction score
New owner here with only 1600 on the odometer, but I am seeing 16.5 on my normal driving, which is a mix of suburban and small urban driving.
2020 Limited short bed crew, 5.7 etorque, 3.92 rear. I bought it for work a d towing my boat, and it does that very well. I am hoping once broken in I'll get it up over 17 MPG, but right now it's been in the 90s pretty much non-stop, so that's not particularly helpful on fuel consumption. My only highway driving so far was into a 40 MPH headwind from that wonderful tropical storm that just blew up the coast, and I still got 17 MPG in that crap.

I will say that it does better than my '18 Expedition Max with he Ecoboost 3.5 / 3.73 rear. That usually only gives us 15.5 on the same routes...which is identical to what my 2016 Yukon XL got with the 5.3 / 3.42 rear...and the Ford tows significantly stronger.

Big, heavy trucks with deep rear ends for towing...not conducive to great mileage regardless of the manufacturer.

It would've been nice to see them offer the 3.55 rear in the big engine configuration, though.

Users who are viewing this thread