5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So this happened to me after one week of ownership.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
People who are stealing car rims for a living probably dont have wages to garnish. They probably dont own a home to put a lien against either. I know its frustrating but its the world we live in. My mom's vehicle got plowed into in a parking lot from some dude cutting through the lot to get to another road (luckily she was inside the store). Dude didnt have insurance. Guess who's insurance paid for it and then increased the rates?
Exactly. Can't get restitution when they are broke or in debt/criminals. You'll not do any good chasing them for $, it's the world we live in.
China probably doesn't have too much of a problem with that but then we are too "nice" to deal with crime like they do. (Bang, you no longer have the "need" to steal.)

I have to admit that I was surprised by the information in the charts below. States that I thought would have a higher % of uninsured (like Ca, Az and Tx) aren't up there while NJ is the lowest (?). Always good to learn something!
Charts from the Insurance Institute: https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-uninsured-motorists

Auto

IN THIS FACTS + STATISTICS​

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage reimburses policyholders in an accident involving an uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run driver. Twenty states and the District of Columbia have mandatory requirements for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. More than half of the states have passed laws and begun to develop and implement online auto insurance verification systems to identify uninsured motorists.
In 2019, 12.6 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, were uninsured, according to a 2021 study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). The percentage was at a nine-year high of 13.1 percent in 2017 but fell to 12.6 percent in 2018 and 2019. Mississippi had the highest percentage of uninsured motorists in 2019, 29.4 percent, followed by Michigan (25.5 percent), Tennessee (23.7 percent), New Mexico (21.8 percent) and Washington (21.7 percent). New Jersey had the lowest, 3.1 percent, followed by Massachusetts (3.5 percent), New York (4.1 percent), Maine (4.9 percent) and Wyoming (5.8 percent). The IRC measures the number of uninsured motorists based on insurance claims, using a ratio of insurance claims made by people who were injured by uninsured drivers relative to the claims made by people who were injured by insured drivers. Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia had uninsured motorist rates in 2019 greater than the countrywide rate (12.6 percent) while 29 states had rates below the countrywide rate.

Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists, 1992-2019 (1)​

YearPercentYearPercentYearPercent
199215.6%200214.5%201112.3%
(1) Percentage of uninsured drivers, as measured by the ratio of uninsured motorists (UM) claims to bodily injury (BI) claim frequencies.
Source: Insurance Research Council.
View Archived Tables

Top 10 Highest And Lowest States By Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists, 2019 (1)​

Highest Lowest
RankStatePercent uninsuredRankStatePercent uninsured
1Mississippi29.4%1New Jersey3.1%
2Michigan25.52Massachusetts3.5
3Tennessee23.73New York4.1
4New Mexico21.84Maine4.9
5Washington21.75Wyoming5.8
6Florida20.46Pennsylvania6.0
7Alabama19.57New Hampshire6.1
8Arkansas19.38Connecticut6.3
9District of Columbia19.19Utah6.5
10California16.610South Dakota7.4
(1) Percentage of uninsured drivers, as measured by the ratio of uninsured motorists (UM) claims to bodily injury (BI) claim frequencies.
View Archived Tables

Estimated Percentage Of Uninsured Motorists By State, 2019 (1)​

LowestUninsuredRank (2)StateUninsuredRank (2)
Alabama19.5%7Montana8.5%38
Alaska16.114Nebraska9.334
Arizona11.824Nevada10.432
Arkansas19.38New Hampshire6.145
California16.610New Jersey3.151
Colorado16.313New Mexico21.84
Connecticut6.344New York4.149
Delaware8.538North Carolina7.441
D.C.19.19North Dakota13.021
Florida (3)20.46Ohio13.021
Georgia12.423Oklahoma13.418
Hawaii9.334Oregon10.730
Idaho13.220Pennsylvania6.046
Illinois11.824Rhode Island16.511
Indiana15.815South Carolina10.928
Iowa11.327South Dakota7.441
Kansas10.928Tennessee23.73
Kentucky13.917Texas8.340
Louisiana11.726Utah6.543
Maine4.948Vermont8.837
Maryland14.116Virginia10.531
Massachusetts3.550Washington21.75
Michigan25.52West Virginia9.236
Minnesota9.933Wisconsin13.319
Mississippi29.41Wyoming5.847
Missouri16.412
(1) Percentage of uninsured drivers, as measured by the ratio of uninsured motorists (UM) claims to bodily injury (BI) claims frequencies.
(2) Rank calculated from unrounded data.
(3) In Florida, compulsory auto laws apply to personal injury protection (PIP) and physical damage, but not to third party bodily injury coverage.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
sorry, but that's insane. You PAY every month for insurance, and then you tell him not to use it? there is a deductible on a Comp claim, but no points, no faults, no surcharges. A full set of tires and wheels is crazy money too. Don't forget, you need 16 lug nuts, 4 TPMS sensors, on top of 4 wheels & tires. I've written a few of these claims in my day and they range from $2000 for average cars, to $4-$5K for trucks and sports cars. Taking him to court instead costs you a days pay, and guarantees you nothing in return.
Oh I think we'd all end up going the insurance route, but the problem is that unless you (or the insurance company) do something like he suggested, it just falls away without any real deterrent to the perpetrators. Having a judgment means that any tax returns or other money he would get could be seized. If he's stealing wheels, he's probably got 6 kids from six different women and claims the "earned income credit" each year to get thousands more and that's if he's even legitimately filing taxes. Hitting them back and making them remember is the key as the insurance companies will just pay for a small claim like this. The DA will probably never file in this climate as they'll sob story it away as "he needed the money for diapers and formula."

Now all that said, the real reason you don't want to go the court route is that court records are public documents and then the perp would find out where you live and what you look like and then the real "fun" would start so yeah, the insurance route is the best!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh I think we'd all end up going the insurance route, but the problem is that unless you (or the insurance company) do something like he suggested, it just falls away without any real deterrent to the perpetrators. Having a judgment means that any tax returns or other money he would get could be seized. If he's stealing wheels, he's probably got 6 kids from six different women and claims the "earned income credit" each year to get thousands more and that's if he's even legitimately filing taxes. Hitting them back and making them remember is the key as the insurance companies will just pay for a small claim like this. The DA will probably never file in this climate as they'll sob story it away as "he needed the money for diapers and formula."

Now all that said, the real reason you don't want to go the court route is that court records are public documents and then the perp would find out where you live and what you look like and then the real "fun" would start so yeah, the insurance route is the best!
Couldn't agree more! The only thing China does better is... "no 2nd chances when caught swiping wheels from party officials RAMs"

U

User_3336

Don't forget the EBT card. LOL

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Don't forget the EBT card. LOL
Ha, "this thread is now getting political". We are being mean wanting to keep what we worked hard for instead of just giving everything to everyone who "enters/visits" the country or is too lazy to work.

Wait! How could I be so heartless? Taking rims off is a type of work, right? You need the proper tools, be good with time organization, have dependable (probably "borrowed" transportation, pay competitive wages to your help (lookouts, drivers), a fully vertical business system (workers, middlemen chop shops or pawn places, transport to the docks/shipping containers, overseas contacts, sales & marketing...

You also need your legal team (pro-bono whiny legal aid) to help you "navigate" the system. It's a complex business model and there's no "official" degree program to train you, it's all OJT or there are "short courses" in those out-of-the-way places with all that razor wire on top of the fencing.

BowDown

Reaction score

The thief was caught and while what you say may very well be true, one thing that seems to be forgotten is that the thief WILL pay you back through restitution.
In Texas and I'm sure other states, once you're convicted, the state can and usually does award the victim restitution that can exceed the cost of replacing the item(s) stolen, wheels in this case.
Regardless of his situation, if the thief does not pay the restitution, the state revokes the person parole or probation and they go back to jail for the remainder of their sentence so there is a deterrent aside from just going to jail. The issue is that the people doing this are gambling on whether or not they get caught, no different than a speeding ticket for us; there's a deterrent for speeding yet we still all do it

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dealer tried blinding me with a wheel upgrade using a different package on my order slip. I was like no way. Small rims equal small tires equal small cost :D
An overlooked point for sure! I ALWAYS prefer smaller rims for this exact reason. I average 52,500 miles/year, and cannot afford tires that only last 20-30K miles, common on 20 and 22 inch wheels. (yeah, I know there are exceptions to this rule, but usually increases price)

ImageX

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea aside from the time it takes to get a hearing, lawyer fees, and the time for you to get reimbursed. Basically time and lawyers. Lawyer(s) will be needed pre, during, and post and will suck the life out of any reward. And these days with fill-in the blank matters, it's gonna be an uphill battle.

The less time dealing with lawyers and criminals the better off you are. The only caveat is if you have a friend or family member in a law firm you trust and is willing to take the case without gouging you. But even then, you need to decide if your quality of life if not your very life is worth being a criminal antagonist. The insurance company can do that.

It would be a civil trial... not criminal. Haven’t ya ever watched Judge Judy? There are no lawyers involved.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer threw in the wheel locks and the spare tire cable lock for free when I bought my truck. They should all do this just to make an appearance that they care about you and your purchase. Only costs them $30-$40 at cost

Users who are viewing this thread