5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I did a thing this afternoon/evening...(bed lights, running board lights)

fubar414

Reaction score
For the bed lights each side is its own strand of led lights, so I just tapped into the factory bed light of each side. They turn on when I press the unlock button on key fob, open door, open the tailgate, and when you press the factory bed light switch it’ll turn on off.
F3208585-D8A5-4F46-8A54-7F9128167EC5.jpeg 34636483-D0D6-49A2-BAD6-2B5449354BDC.jpeg

The running board lights I tapped into the black and yellow w/purple stripe wire on the driver side, footwell courtesy light. The lights will turn on when unlock, and open the door. I poked a hole in the rubber grommet and snaked the wire through there to get in the cab.
I ran the passenger side light wire to driver side, and ran 1 wire into the cab.
C27EA0F8-5AE4-42E0-AB25-F79011D03713.jpeg 0E5237D9-5DC4-42B1-8045-9EEF21AC4969.jpeg 7C567814-CBB7-4EB8-A534-276CF0784778.jpeg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Nice!! I’ve been wanting to do the exact same thing! Can you post a link to the lights you used as well? So the light’s wires just tap directly into the factory wires you mentioned and that’s it, or do you still need power and ground as well?

fubar414

Reaction score
Nice!! I’ve been wanting to do the exact same thing! Can you post a link to the lights you used as well? So the light’s wires just tap directly into the factory wires you mentioned and that’s it, or do you still need power and ground as well?
Xprite White Truck Pickup Bed Light Kit, 24 Led Cargo Rock Lighting Kits w/Switch for Van Off-Road Under Car, Side Marker, Foot Wells, Rail Lights - 8 PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XFF9I...abc_2H7GHPSPWSN8XCNA2KSD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

no extra power needed. Got power and ground from the wires I mentioned previously.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Xprite White Truck Pickup Bed Light Kit, 24 Led Cargo Rock Lighting Kits w/Switch for Van Off-Road Under Car, Side Marker, Foot Wells, Rail Lights - 8 PCS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XFF9I...abc_2H7GHPSPWSN8XCNA2KSD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

no extra power needed. Got power and ground from the wires I mentioned previously.
Well this should make it easier. Clicked your link and got the message: "You last purchased this item on October 23, 2018." Almost forgot I had them boxed away in the shed. 😎

fubar414

Reaction score
Well this should make it easier. Clicked your link and got the message: "You last purchased this item on October 23, 2018." Almost forgot I had them boxed away in the shed. 😎
Lol! Sounds like you didn’t “almost forget” 🤣

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Do the lights flicker when they turn off? I installed the Xprite mirror puddle lights and they flicker a little bit and I saw a video of these rock lights on the Amazon reviews and it flickered when it turned off on a Chevy.

fubar414

Reaction score
Do the lights flicker when they turn off? I installed the Xprite mirror puddle lights and they flicker a little bit and I saw a video of these rock lights on the Amazon reviews and it flickered when it turned off on a Chevy.
Mine don’t flicker.

Yangster

Reaction score
Too funny!

Yangster

Reaction score
For the bed lights each side is its own strand of led lights, so I just tapped into the factory bed light of each side. They turn on when I press the unlock button on key fob, open door, open the tailgate, and when you press the factory bed light switch it’ll turn on off.
How did you tap into the factory bed light? Do they just pop out?

Johnnyd75

Reaction score
View attachment 90048 View attachment 90049

The running board lights I tapped into the black and yellow w/purple stripe wire on the driver side, footwell courtesy light. The lights will turn on when unlock, and open the door. I poked a hole in the rubber grommet and snaked the wire through there to get in the cab.
I ran the passenger side light wire to driver side, and ran 1 wire into the cab.
View attachment 90050 View attachment 90051 View attachment 90052
Looks great! I bought the lights. Can you post a pic of where you mounted under doors exactly? Also you have power steps correct? Thank you!

fubar414

Reaction score
Looks great! I bought the lights. Can you post a pic of where you mounted under doors exactly? Also you have power steps correct? Thank you!
Thanks! Yes power steps. I'll get a pic when I head out to my car in a little while.

WolfRam21

Reaction score
If I dont have bed lights yet where are the factory connections??

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I dont have bed lights yet where are the factory connections??

Installation instructions. Not sure if the install is easier on a 2021, also I'm not sure if these are the updated version. There was an issue with where the wires were connected on the original installation instructions. However it can give you an idea of what is involved. Again not sure of a 2021.

Attachments

• Ram Bed Light Installation PDF 82215272AB.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

fubar414

Reaction score
Did you use just the tape or use the hole to screw it in?
I know this is a bit...old...apparently I missed the fact that you asked a question...sorry...but I just used the tape.

Users who are viewing this thread