5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow Driving

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to owning a ram, got it this summer. I had a Tacoma previously that was great in the snow.
The taco had 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo. In snow I'd go between 2wd and 4hi depending on how much we got as 4hi made turning a bit harder if it was just a light amount, and even in 2wd the truck was a beast.

Yesterday we got our first snow of the winter. I started leaving work in 2wd and the truck was having no issues, but decided to swap to 4auto for the drive home and was very happy driving home.

What is the difference in the different settings? I know 2wd. Is 4hi locking up difference and 4auto does what?

What would you all recommend for snow driving. In the storm I drove in 3-4", nothing crazy but I am a big skier so I do alot of snow driving chasing storms.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
4auto is essentially an AWD system, where the truck will be primarily RWD but have the front diff engaged and ready to go, so whenever the truck senses a loss of grip it will automatically send power to the front wheels to help out. Obviously this differs from 4HI where all wheels will be getting power no matter what. I’d say for driving on snowy streets 4auto is probably sufficient, only really need 4HI if you know the truck is probably going to be struggling and needing all 4 wheels powered anyway.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thing to note, 4 auto incorporates a clutch in the transfer case to allow slip and allow driving on dry pavement. 4hi/lo should be locking up that clutch and NOT for use on dry pavement.

reapur

Reaction score
Is it normal for 4WD Auto to bind on turns?
I noticed a weird issue a few days ago where I was backing in to parallel park and I could feel the wheels binding and skipping. I'm in 4WD auto basically all the time. I never had this issue on my 2015.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a weird issue a few days ago where I was backing in to parallel park and I could feel the wheels binding and skipping. I'm in 4WD auto basically all the time. I never had this issue on my 2015.
They did try to increase the pressure of the clutches ( I am sure someone will be along to tell me I used the wrong term) since the 4th gen 4wd auto caused so many complaints.

And, onto the complaint that it is binding in turns.

My guess would be that is what you experienced. If you are sure you are in auto. I would not be too worried about it unless you feel it in more moderate steering applications.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt drive every day in 4-auto. I would only use it in times if reduced traction where you might get wheel spin in 2wd. Even for most people, 2wd is sufficient in light snow or wet rods.

n9ne4

Reaction score
I wouldnt drive every day in 4-auto. I would only use it in times if reduced traction where you might get wheel spin in 2wd. Even for most people, 2wd is sufficient in light snow or wet rods.
Agreed. Have seen way too many people with issues for 4auto in a multitude of vehicles causing issues. Either you need 4Hi or 2WD is enough.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well for what it's worth, the TRX doesn't have a 2WD mode. It's 4-auto, 4-high, 4-low, or Off. So it can't be that bad...
We'll technically, the TazerDT allows the owner to put TRX into RWD only if desired. So it can have 2wd. Just not from factory.

And pretty sure the TRX transfer case is a little beafier than regular Rams.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Is there a delay between the truck noticing spin and kicking into 4WD when in 4-auto? Should I feel a difference taking off on ice and “flooring it” in 4-auto vs 4-high?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a delay between the truck noticing spin and kicking into 4WD when in 4-auto? Should I feel a difference taking off on ice and “flooring it” in 4-auto vs 4-high?
Nothing that most people will notice. Might sense a slight spin on rear wheels, but it's pretty seamless

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The auto works pretty good, I never usually notice any wheel slip before engaging.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Possibly, but no you will not notice it spin. If anything you will just go a slightly different direction as by the time you could notice it spin, it would of already adjusted.

Unless you know you want to spin 50/50 4-auto is a better choice.

And you can run 4-auto 24/7 no problem.
It will more put more NORMAL wear and tear on your truck, but that's to be expected if you are using more moving parts.
TRX and a boat load of cars\trucks use AWD systems, which is the same thing and don't have problems. This is not 1980 anymore.

But unless your tires suck, you really shouldn't need 4-auto. Maybe when stopped or if you want to do sharp turns from a dead stop or something, you can just toggle it, and then toggle back to 2WD after your going.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I left my 2019 BigHorn in 4WD Auto all the time for the 4 + years that I owned it. Mainly because it had open diff (no anti-spin). I never had any issues. I’ve had my 22 Laramie for a little over a week, and so far I’ve done the same, although this one does have anti-spin.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2015 300 AWD. Loved that car. If it could have towed a camper I'd still have it. If it weren't for the little graphic in the gauge cluster I could never tell when it engaged.

I had a 2015 Cherokee before that. Same thing. It just had the junk 9-spd... 😡

Jerome10

Reaction score
Ram shopper here. Had a 2022 rental a week ago as a trial on the truck. Lots of snow so far this winter where I live.

Played around with the 4wd settings. 2wd the truck would get a bit squirrelly on me (I noticed the tires were not good for snow, so I’m sure that didn’t help), much worse than RWD BMW with Blizzaks I drive somewhat regularly.

However 4wd Auto worked excellently I thought. Loads better grip, quick acceleration. Seamless function.

The only thing I noticed is I swear there was a slight change in steering feel. I don’t know if slightly heavier or there was just a slightly different vibration but switching between auto and 2wd there definitely was a little something that felt just a wee bit different.

Honestly though the fact that Ram has the 4wd auto on even big horn trims is one of the biggest selling points for me. We average 70”+ of snow here annually and with skiing nearby. And the difference in grip vs 2wd is a huge selling point. The Ford requires manual switching and you can’t leave it in 4H permanently. Having to constantly monitor road conditions and flip the switch in the Ford just doesn’t seem like nearly as easy and functional as the Ram.

I did generally put the truck back in 2wd when on dry or wet pavement. Then side roads just pop back in 4wd auto.

Only real complaint with the ram, which was highly impressive otherwise, is no dead pedal!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram shopper here. Had a 2022 rental a week ago as a trial on the truck. Lots of snow so far this winter where I live.

Played around with the 4wd settings. 2wd the truck would get a bit squirrelly on me (I noticed the tires were not good for snow, so I’m sure that didn’t help), much worse than RWD BMW with Blizzaks I drive somewhat regularly.

However 4wd Auto worked excellently I thought. Loads better grip, quick acceleration. Seamless function.

The only thing I noticed is I swear there was a slight change in steering feel. I don’t know if slightly heavier or there was just a slightly different vibration but switching between auto and 2wd there definitely was a little something that felt just a wee bit different.

Honestly though the fact that Ram has the 4wd auto on even big horn trims is one of the biggest selling points for me. We average 70”+ of snow here annually and with skiing nearby. And the difference in grip vs 2wd is a huge selling point. The Ford requires manual switching and you can’t leave it in 4H permanently. Having to constantly monitor road conditions and flip the switch in the Ford just doesn’t seem like nearly as easy and functional as the Ram.

I did generally put the truck back in 2wd when on dry or wet pavement. Then side roads just pop back in 4wd auto.

Only real complaint with the ram, which was highly impressive otherwise, is no dead pedal!
The front diff is engaged in 4-auto which is why there is a change in steering feel. The transfer case only applies power to front wheels, via a clutch pack, when it senses rear wheel slip.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The front diff is engaged in 4-auto which is why there is a change in steering feel. The transfer case only applies power to front wheels, via a clutch pack, when it senses rear wheel slip.
There is always power applied to the front wheels when in 4-auto, but not a 50\50 split. It changes when\if it detects slip.

Users who are viewing this thread