5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snagged a '22!

Spokes

Reaction score
What's up everyone, traded in my '16 Z71 for a '22 Bighorn about 3 weeks ago. Ended up making about 10K on my Chevy with todays crazy market so figured why not try a minivan with a bed LOL. So far the Ram has been great, have ~1100 miles on it already. Not the biggest fan of the stupid dial shift knob however. So far I have tinted it, 20% on doors, & 50% on windshield and installed a rear seat cover for the pup 😂. Also installed some Diode Dynamics LED headlights & their SS3 White SAE/DOT Driving Pro Fog lamps. The light output of the fogs is great, but the fitment of them sucks (pic attached). I am thinking of cutting the plastic housing for better fitment and a little more light output. I know there are the OEM fogs available, my question is are they worth it? I like the factory look, I do have front parking sensors, I have yet to see the kit available with the parking sensors.

The other thing I have going on with the truck is the DS door speaker/upper dash speaker do not work until my CarPlay kicks in. I have to have Waze give audio guidance and then the two other speakers kick in and the whole sound system gets louder. I have the upgraded Alpine system (which is great), but I'm curious if anyone is having this issue? I am sure its a simple software update.

Curious what little mods you guys have done to these things? Also curious what you guys are doing for the rear bumper steps, I do miss the bumper cut outs my Chevy had!

Now that the Chevy is gone, we a 100% Mopar household as well! (2) XJs and wifey rocks a '21 Grand Cherokee in sting gray!

Not sure where the future of this truck will go, thinking Mopar leveling kit and some slightly bigger tires.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 144

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats! You’ll get used to the dial knob shifter and eventually come to appreciate the amount of space it frees up. Yeah it’s not the most manly thing but who cares.

gbcvtrsc

Reaction score
Welcome! I just sold my 21 Colorado z71 to Carvana for a crazy profit and bought a 21 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi eTorque and loving it. Great truck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spokes

Reaction score
Haha. After owning all gm trucks till now, that was the hardest habit to break.

Took a few weeks then you realize how nice the knob actually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My biggest worry is it decides not to work one day, least with the Chevy it had a manual linkage lol

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The knob is legit the first thing that drew me to Ram's interior.

Welcome, and congrats on your new truck!

Clv22p

Reaction score
Minivan with a bed! :ROFLMAO: You have a quad cab! The crew truly is a minivan with a bed.I put my 4 year old in and she walks to her seat while I'm strapping the 1year old in.

I love the rotary dial. So much free space in the center console!

Im glad you mentioned the Diode Dynamics fogs.. Ive been debating them, but wasn't sure how they would actually fit. Doesn't look like they do. lol

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
:cool: Welcome aboard (y)

The Hellwig rear sway bar is a no-brainer upgrade on these trucks. It makes a noticeable improvement in handling (part no. 7709)

Another of my favorite add-ons is the Lock'er Down console safe. Peace of mind storage when visiting a "gun free" zone.

The reverse lighting sucks, so a lot of us have added some form of auxiliary reverse lighting for a vast improvement.

Never thought I would, but I actually prefer the rotary shifter now. You can make it a little more "manly" with a billet aluminum AJT replacement. They also make excellent covers for the radio and climate knobs (h/t member Jeet).

20210308_175429.jpg

It's not as convenient as GM's clever rear bumpers, but if your truck didn't come with one you can order and install the OEM retractable bed step. I believe there are some aftermarket ones available as well. There are aftermarket bumpers that are similar to GM's, in so far as having the built in steps, if you prefer that route.

82215289ae-amp.jpg

Rear wheel well liners are a must in my opinion if yours didn't come with them..

Probably the most important addition is a good dash cam. Mine has already saved me a huge amount of cash/insurance ding.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
:cool: Welcome aboard (y)

The Hellwig rear sway bar is a no-brainer upgrade on these trucks. It makes a noticeable improvement in handling (part no. 7709)

Another of my favorite add-ons is the Lock'er Down console safe. Peace of mind storage when visiting a "gun free" zone.

The reverse lighting sucks, so a lot of us have added some form of auxiliary reverse lighting for a vast improvement.

Never thought I would, but I actually prefer the rotary shifter now. You can make it a little more "manly" with a billet aluminum AJT replacement. They also make excellent covers for the radio and climate knobs (h/t member Jeet).

View attachment 113733

It's not as convenient as GM's clever rear bumpers, but if your truck didn't come with one you can order and install the OEM retractable bed step. I believe there are some aftermarket ones available as well. There are aftermarket bumpers that are similar to GM's, in so far as having the built in steps, if you prefer that route.

View attachment 113735

Rear wheel well liners are a must in my opinion if yours didn't come with them..

Probably the most important addition is a good dash cam. Mine has already saved me a huge amount of cash/insurance ding.
I'll second those recommendations.

Spokes

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation guys.

So I have about 3500 miles on the truck now in 6 weeks. Took a road trip from NJ to TN, 1700 miles around trip and averaged 20.7 mpg cruising @ 80. Managed to rip the sidewall out the right rear tire running over a curb, forgot I'm not on 33s anymore lol

Also raced my friends stage 2 cammed Chevy 1500... the Ram ate it lol was very surprised.

As for the bumper/bed step I might make a ladder that folds on the tail gate, if I do ill post some pics. Not the biggest fan of the OEM steps and I'm not changing the bumper for a step lol

Attachments

• IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 23

Spokes

Reaction score
Also, thinking about deleting the middle muffler and leaving rears. Anyone done it, how loud/much drone is there? TY

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, thinking about deleting the middle muffler and leaving rears. Anyone done it, how loud/much drone is there? TY
I have the Solo Performance muffler delete and kept the stock rear resonators (ours didn't have the front resonator). There is some drone around the 1600 rpm range, but it's very, very mild. It's really not as loud as I thought it'd be initially, until you actually get into the loud pedal (underpasses are awesome). It's fairly tame when cruising around town and I just love the tone. We really like it and, just as importantly, the neighbors are still our friends.

Users who are viewing this thread