5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow fuel fill

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well the diagnosis is in. It needs a new fuel tank, fuel pump, and a few lines.

I don't even want to know what it would cost if I didn't have a warranty - but the Service Tech told me the vent on the top of the gas tank can either break or get clogged, and if that happens its not able to get the fumes from the gas tank out, the computer senses it, and closes the tank to future filling.

All the parts are on order, it'll be fixed by tomorrow at lunch.
Thanks for the update.
I figured it would be something like this. Hopefully parts will arrive quickly and you'll be good as new.

Nut_E_4_Golf

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie new several weeks ago. Have filled it four times and had the fuel shutoff fail twice. I think it's having to pull the nozzle partway out to fill the tank. If if put the nozzle all the way in, the shutoff on the pump won't allow me to fill the tank unless I do it a half gallon at a time.

Anyone know when this might hit the threshold for a recall? This is definitely a safety issue

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie new several weeks ago. Have filled it four times and had the fuel shutoff fail twice. I think it's having to pull the nozzle partway out to fill the tank. If if put the nozzle all the way in, the shutoff on the pump won't allow me to fill the tank unless I do it a half gallon at a time.

Anyone know when this might hit the threshold for a recall? This is definitely a safety issue

Have you spoken with your dealership about this yet? We would be happy to look into any service bulletins that might help. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread instead of making a new one - I had a similar thing happen today.

Pump kept shutting off to the point where I was getting .07Gal in before it would shut off. Tried a second gas station, same thing. Third one resulted in about a half gallon of fuel shooting out of the filler neck and pump onto me, the side of the truck, and the ground.

Dealership said it’s a common issue - I didn’t have any symptoms of pumps shutting off mid fill or anything else.

I have 46 miles left on the tank and no way to fuel the truck up. It’s going to the dealership tomorrow morning.

Manager said it’s a common issue for Jeeps and Dodge Trucks.

More to follow after tomorrow morning I suppose.

I have this same problem but randomly. I've switched pumps, stations etc when it continuously happens with no luck - then about an hour or two later it will fill up fine.

Makes no sense to me.

I don't think the vent is clogged or broken since it wouldn't fill up fine sometimes and then not others.

Anyone else still having this issue? Its really frustrating especially when your at a full service station (such as in NJ) and the pump attendant has to keep standing there and holding the handle every time it clicks off.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Yeah, having same problem randomly at the same Costco fuel station on different pumps.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to have this issue anywhere. I just make sure that the nozzle is inserted deeply so that it's past the second filler flap in the neck.

Huntercj

Reaction score
Im having same gas fill issues whith my new 2020 Ram . I have a 26 gallon tank no matter where i fill gas or no matter how slow i fill gas i cant get it full. The most fuel range i have seen on my gas gauge 234 miles.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue here, could not get gas in it ever, unless I took 15 minutes holding the handle, it's at the dealership now getting fill neck replaced this should have been caught by the dealer when filling up the first time! Maybe that's why they took 3hours to "prep" the truck when I got it. The dealership s.u.c.k.e.d.! Now waiting 3 days for the parts....aurrggh

StraightArrow

Reaction score
I need to call my dealer, who is 60 miles away... Takes 15 minutes to top of my tank (from half empty, 26 gallon tank) no matter where I fill up!! This is ridiculous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Same issue here, could not get gas in it ever, unless I took 15 minutes holding the handle, it's at the dealership now getting fill neck replaced this should have been caught by the dealer when filling up the first time! Maybe that's why they took 3hours to "prep" the truck when I got it. The dealership s.u.c.k.e.d.! Now waiting 3 days for the parts....aurrggh
Hi @RIRamGuy - If you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message! We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.
I need to call my dealer, who is 60 miles away... Takes 15 minutes to top of my tank (from half empty, 26 gallon tank) no matter where I fill up!! This is ridiculous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apologies that you are also experiencing this, @StraightArrow. If it would be of interest, we are more than willing to get a case escalated on your behalf for further support while your truck is in service. We are always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, having same problem randomly at the same Costco fuel station on different pumps.
Costco seems to be the worst for this. My truck had that problem at every Costco pump and randomly at other stations.

I took it in to the dealership thinking that I might have the tank vent issue. They ended up just replacing the filler neck and the problem went away.

I don't know when the 'new' design came out but it was sometime after my December 2018 build.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealership, they had to replace the gas fill tube, working great so far

BrianQ

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Certified Pre Owned in August. From day one the best I get is 0.5 to 0.75 of a gallon at a time before shutoff and have to wait to put in more. It's been going to a dealer now for the last 1.5 months. The first time they replaced the filler neck and told me it was fixed. I go to pick it up and they tell me oh... we just tried to put gas in and still not fixed. They keep for a week then tell me to pick it up and that more parts are on back order. 4 weeks later they say parts are ready. I schedule an appointment for 8 days later. Drop it off. No call. Nothing. I call the next morning they say oh we'll get to it today. Then they call later and tell me it's fixed. I go to fill it up..... 0.6 gallons later. Click. I've left it with them again. The service guy said they put in 5 dollars of gas with no problem. I don't believe them. They say they aren't sure what they can do next. I've not had to do a lemon call before and I'm wondering if this qualifies. It's a huge pain in the butt. The dealer doing the work is not the dealer I got the truck from. I contacted that dealer and suggested they might want to add putting gas in the car to their list of items to check before certification. He blew me off. I'm trying to figure out my options at this point. Dealer has the car but aren't sure what to do.

RamCares

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Certified Pre Owned in August. From day one the best I get is 0.5 to 0.75 of a gallon at a time before shutoff and have to wait to put in more. It's been going to a dealer now for the last 1.5 months. The first time they replaced the filler neck and told me it was fixed. I go to pick it up and they tell me oh... we just tried to put gas in and still not fixed. They keep for a week then tell me to pick it up and that more parts are on back order. 4 weeks later they say parts are ready. I schedule an appointment for 8 days later. Drop it off. No call. Nothing. I call the next morning they say oh we'll get to it today. Then they call later and tell me it's fixed. I go to fill it up..... 0.6 gallons later. Click. I've left it with them again. The service guy said they put in 5 dollars of gas with no problem. I don't believe them. They say they aren't sure what they can do next. I've not had to do a lemon call before and I'm wondering if this qualifies. It's a huge pain in the butt. The dealer doing the work is not the dealer I got the truck from. I contacted that dealer and suggested they might want to add putting gas in the car to their list of items to check before certification. He blew me off. I'm trying to figure out my options at this point. Dealer has the car but aren't sure what to do.
We are sincerely sorry to hear about your experience while addressing this concern, @BrianQ. Please know that our team is available as your advocate to offer additional support during dealer services. Do not hesitate to send us a private message!

Kathryn
RamCares

BrianQ

Reaction score
We are sincerely sorry to hear about your experience while addressing this concern, @BrianQ. Please know that our team is available as your advocate to offer additional support during dealer services. Do not hesitate to send us a private message!

Kathryn
RamCares
Thank you. They just got back to me. They are going to order a new fuel tank. Should be in in about 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4WD. I have a couple of issues, all surrounding the fuel system.
When at the fuel station, the truck takes fuel extremely slowly, in addition the fuel hose does not auto shut off and constantly overflows.
After when I believe the tank is full, and the fuel gauge shows FULL, I drive as few as 20 miles and the fuel meter on the dash loses approx 1/8 of its volume. Most vehicles will drive some distance before the fuel starts to see a decrease.
I have checked under the truck and there doesn't to be any kinked hoses etc.
Thoughts?
I had a similar problem...solution was to never go back to that same gas station ever again. Problem solved.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thank you. They just got back to me. They are going to order a new fuel tank. Should be in in about 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes.
We are happy to hear that this is being actively resolved for you, Brian. Feel free to reach out to us if you face any future concerns with this repair. We would be happy to offer help if needed.

Kathryn
RamCares

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me at a gas station in Colorado, but prior to that one time it had never happen before and none since then. So I'm in the bad pump group as the cause.

2019REBEL

Reaction score

Bet after they replace the tank it still going to happen. It's not the tank it's the fuel lines going into the tank so if they don't replace those it's still going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread