5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

wep1981

Reaction score
Petition signed.

Went to the dealer today for oil change and the wiper recall. Advisor asked if I needed anything else tobe looked at and I said yes but you guys can’t fix the issue. I’ve been back about 7 times.

Told him the issue and he said it seems like drive shaft issue if it happens at current speeds. I’m going to take it back at end of month so they can check it out again.

Charp

Reaction score
Petition signed.

Went to the dealer today for oil change and the wiper recall. Advisor asked if I needed anything else tobe looked at and I said yes but you guys can’t fix the issue. I’ve been back about 7 times.

Told him the issue and he said it seems like drive shaft issue if it happens at current speeds. I’m going to take it back at end of month so they can check it out again.
Funny you should mention drive shaft. Often times I hear and feel a loud clunk at start up. It seems to ride smoother on the days i hear the clunk. Not sure it at all related, or if drive shaft even moves any during startup. At this point I don't care. Just searching for a good deal to trade it in on something else. Although I did solve my dash rattle which has helped my driving experience a lot.

Brain h

Reaction score
Funny you should mention drive shaft. Often times I hear and feel a loud clunk at start up. It seems to ride smoother on the days i hear the clunk. Not sure it at all related, or if drive shaft even moves any during startup. At this point I don't care. Just searching for a good deal to trade it in on something else. Although I did solve my dash rattle which has helped my driving experience a lot.
The clunk is your slip joint..its either worn out or not greased enough.
The entire issue with our vibration is in the driveline, its either the driveshaft itself, u joints, torque converter..some have reported not enough fluid from the factory or the wrong fluid installed, or possibly the "crush nut" on the rear end itself not being torqued properly..i can't think of the proper term for it right now..

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The clunk is your slip joint..its either worn out or not greased enough.
The entire issue with our vibration is in the driveline, its either the driveshaft itself, u joints, torque converter..some have reported not enough fluid from the factory or the wrong fluid installed, or possibly the "crush nut" on the rear end itself not being torqued properly..i can't think of the proper term for it right now..
They were “crush sleeves” on my GMs. Overtighten those and you need to replace. Those slip yokes on two different trucks needed attention after 100K miles or so.

Dohc

Reaction score
I literally looked this up as my 2020 Laramie with 300 miles is doing the shake at 75 + mph. I feel like I’m about to be really mad here in the coming months.

Icecoldak

Reaction score
I literally looked this up as my 2020 Laramie with 300 miles is doing the shake at 75 + mph. I feel like I’m about to be really mad here in the coming months.

Well no matter what the dealer says, and want to try and do to fix it, its not fixable as of yet!

Dohc

Reaction score
Good luck.
Good luck.
So they came back and did not even go for the tires first. In fact they said the drive shaft is the problem. They are ordering another one and going from there. The tech said he can feel it starting at 20mph I took a video today of it is 60-80mph I never really noticed it at lower speeds. We will se how this goes

Dohc

Reaction score
Well no matter what the dealer says, and want to try and do to fix it, its not fixable as of yet!
That sucks. My dealer did not even try to say the tires were the problem. The guy cane out and they said the tech found the problem and it’s clear to them looking at the drive shaft that there is a problem. So I’m not 100% sure what they saw but I know they ordered a new shaft and it will be about 5-7 days.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
That sucks. My dealer did not even try to say the tires were the problem. The guy cane out and they said the tech found the problem and it’s clear to them looking at the drive shaft that there is a problem. So I’m not 100% sure what they saw but I know they ordered a new shaft and it will be about 5-7 days.
If I could start over I'd have kept better records for potential lemon law options later.

Icecoldak

Reaction score

I hope that fixes it---keep us up to date please!
I have also heard they have a new flash for the Active Tuned Mass Dampers as well? Some have said that has worked IDK---I do not have a Ram, I want one but this one issue has me staying away for now!

Dohc

Reaction score
I hope that fixes it---keep us up to date please!
I have also heard they have a new flash for the Active Tuned Mass Dampers as well? Some have said that has worked IDK---I do not have a Ram, I want one but this one issue has me staying away for now!
Think it’s luck of the drawl. This is my second one.
my buddy has a 19 and not one problem.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've experienced many intermittent vibration issues that tend to come and go in my 2020 Laramie 4x4 3.92 rear axle (1500 miles). Without going into all the details and several trips to the dealership, I would like to know if anyone has checked their Harmonic Balancer (crankshaft pulley) to see if if wobbles. I noticed mine wobbled and the Dealer replaced, but it still wobbles exactly the same as before. The Loaner truck they gave me did not appear to wobble at all. I'm now wondering if I happened to get two bad parts or if the crankshaft is bent.
Have you figured anything out? I’ve had vibration issues since a few hundred miles, tires have been balanced 5 times now, tires are wearing on the outer edges, rotated at 3500 miles. Rack and pinion was replaced at 4000 miles, truck still has a slight vibration. I’m wondering if this is my issue? I still think mine is in the tires or rims? Maybe other front end parts?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Have you figured anything out? I’ve had vibration issues since a few hundred miles, tires have been balanced 5 times now, tires are wearing on the outer edges, rotated at 3500 miles. Rack and pinion was replaced at 4000 miles, truck still has a slight vibration. I’m wondering if this is my issue? I still think mine is in the tires or rims? Maybe other front end parts?
Just wondering, you don't specify, have they been successfully road force balanced? Because I had a vibration, 2 tires failed road force balance, were replaced, and now I have no vibration at all. I feel so lucky BTW given all the chatter on this thread.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering, you don't specify, have they been successfully road force balanced? Because I had a vibration, 2 tires failed road force balance, were replaced, and now I have no vibration at all. I feel so lucky BTW given all the chatter on this thread.
Yes, they were road forced balanced the last time, or at least the front were.

Dohc

Reaction score
Ok so I just picked my 2020 back up at the dealer and the vibration is gone. The truck is a thousand times smother and the mpg is not so fast to react and drop to below 10. They replaced the driveshaft and also re flashed the trans. Due to it having a slight drone after the driveshaft was put in on lock up. This is believed to be because the computer got used to the bind in the driveshaft and when it was gone the trans was trying to still compensate. Hope this may help someone out.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I could start over I'd have kept better records for potential lemon law options later.
I’m wondering can we get a print out of all our records from any dealer? The first few times I went they never gave me anything! Part of the cover up?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they came back and did not even go for the tires first. In fact they said the drive shaft is the problem. They are ordering another one and going from there. The tech said he can feel it starting at 20mph I took a video today of it is 60-80mph I never really noticed it at lower speeds. We will se how this goes
Sometimes I thought I felt it at lower speeds also?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines going in for trip 7 the 3 different dealers now. The first two told me no more they can do for me. Balance tires every time, replaced rack and pinion, tires are worn. Still has a vibration. 6000 miles is all it has on it!

Users who are viewing this thread