5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Trouble1233

Reaction score
I agree 100% I unplugged mine and it made a difference did it fix it completely nope.mine shakes like crazy also when it’s put back like it’s suppose to be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Yea that makes sense and for some it might help. But I believe that's for a vibration. My truck and many others are having a full on shake coming from the rear on the highway. Which there is no way noise cancelling is causing that. Mine shakes my entire seat, center console. I can literally feel the rear of the truck almost consistently wobbling. I think for many on here that's what they are feeling. For people to test that I feel like turning off the modules or the noise cancelling, or turning off both would eliminate that miss que in communication. I unplugged the modules and it did not alleviate the full on shake from the rear of the truck. Once again, yours it could for sure work and for others as well. But for many in here they are describing the same thing I have which has to be a full on issue from the rear of the truck.
Well you very well could be right. I know for myself when I first noticed it, I could feel it in the floorboard, the seat and if I put my leg against the door. Magnified 10x’s pulling my trailer. Yours very well could be an issue in the rear, but also I believe the noise cancelling signal comes from the sub in the rear. I could be wrong about that though. According to my mechanic that vibration could be enough to shake the inside of the cab. Again I’m no mechanic and I’m just relaying what I’ve been told. Either way it’s frustrating for all of us that have been experiencing this. Hopefully we all get a resolution sooner than later.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Well you very well could be right. I know for myself when I first noticed it, I could feel it in the floorboard, the seat and if I put my leg against the door. Magnified 10x’s pulling my trailer. Yours very well could be an issue in the rear, but also I believe the noise cancelling signal comes from the sub in the rear. I could be wrong about that though. According to my mechanic that vibration could be enough to shake the inside of the cab. Again I’m no mechanic and I’m just relaying what I’ve been told. Either way it’s frustrating for all of us that have been experiencing this. Hopefully we all get a resolution sooner than later.

So hypothetically if I had the modules unplugged as well as the noise cancelling unhooked that would undoubtedly prove for my truck if that was the issue. Just seems crazy that the speaker back there would cause such a shake. Plus I've set in the back seat as well and had someone drive and I definitely didnt feel anything in the back seat like I do in the driver's seat. Definitely not amplified sitting back there.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Here’s how it was explained to me. The noise cancellation system and the modules are working against each other. The modules are activating when they aren’t supposed to and when that happens the noise cancellation system is sending a signal through the speakers that is almost like a vibration. So he claims between the mass modules shaking at the wrong time and the false signal through the noise cancellation system, it’s causing the vibration. Look through all the responses on this thread, guys have changed tires, wheels , did lifts, changed suspension and it’s still there. I myself have had tires road force balanced , rotated and still was there. It wasn’t till my dealer had it a week that the tech found the info. Like I said in my earlier post, mine has basically stopped. Once in awhile it will do it briefly and it’s always the same, between 53-65. Maybe my tech is blowing smoke but at this point I’m believing him.
First off, Chrysler's Tires suck ****. They are out of balance from the factory. All four of mine were way off and had to be road force balanced, and while it did help with some vibrations, it didn't eliminate the issues with over 50mph vibrations.

Like one of the other guys, I can't take this thing on the highway. At 70mph, it's undriveable. My hands start to go numb from holding the steering wheel and I feel like I'm sitting in one of those freakin' Sharper Image vibrating chairs. it's horrible.

My question to Jasonml24 is you said yours has basically stopped. So did you dealer actually "fix" anything or just identify that the issue was with the module. Or did the vibrations just eventually go away around 10k miles? Because if he did fix something, can you get that information to share with us so we can take that to our dealers?

Reaction score
Update on my truck, last weekend I went down the balance rabbit hole, dynamic balance, static balance, moved all the wheels and tires around etc.
I was very close to having someone put Counteract Balance beads in but decided I would try roadforce even though there are mixed reviews. Now I have stated before my issue is more in the 70 to 85 MPH range, where I live the highway speed limits are 70 to 80 MPH so i run around 80 all the time.
I went to a tire shop that only does tires, no inspections, no mechanical, tires are their bread and butter.
they brought me back to watch the process as I have never seen how it works. Essentially a drum is placed against the tire as it turns to identify if there is a high spot. if there is a high spot it measure the force that the high spot puts on the drum in LBS.
The tech noted in most cases for cars and light duty trucks anything under 25 lbs of resistance is acceptable. Anything over that, there is a gauge on the machine that they can ride along the weight lip on the wheel to find the low spot on the wheel and then they “match mount” the tire on the rim lining up the low spot in the wheel with the high spot in the tire.
my theory is that these trucks are so smooth and quiet and that anything even slight is super noticeable. If you have a limited or longhorn with the wood top wheel the slight vibration is even more noticeable.
The tech found that two of the tires had 40 + lbs of resistance, I think one was 43 and one was 47. The other two were under 20. They were able to match mount both and reduce resistance to 11 on one wheel/tire and 13 on the other. They also rebalanced the other tires and I have to be honest, I was way skeptical having worked in a tire shop for 2 plus years and balancing 1000’s of tires without issue without road-force but to my surprise The road-force fixed 90% of what I feel. Maybe even 100 and I just have some PTSD at 80 and feel what I think is there but idk.
my recommendation, Go to a tire shop tire shop, not an NTB or Costco or Walmart, honestly I may not even do a firestone or Goodyear, I’d find I privately owned shop, call around and find one with roadforce, not everyone does it. I know everyone thinks the dealer is the place to go, but they have the part time high school kids doing tires, the ASE techs are working on real mechanical repairs and if one of them does balance your tires, it is not necessarily their specialty, they may not really know how The road-force machine works, there is definitely an art to it.
FYI...
2019 longhorn
20” Bridgestones HL’s
10k miles
3.92 rearend
33 gal tank

JRadford43

Reaction score
Update on my truck, last weekend I went down the balance rabbit hole, dynamic balance, static balance, moved all the wheels and tires around etc.
I was very close to having someone put Counteract Balance beads in but decided I would try roadforce even though there are mixed reviews. Now I have stated before my issue is more in the 70 to 85 MPH range, where I live the highway speed limits are 70 to 80 MPH so i run around 80 all the time.
I went to a tire shop that only does tires, no inspections, no mechanical, tires are their bread and butter.
they brought me back to watch the process as I have never seen how it works. Essentially a drum is placed against the tire as it turns to identify if there is a high spot. if there is a high spot it measure the force that the high spot puts on the drum in LBS.
The tech noted in most cases for cars and light duty trucks anything under 25 lbs of resistance is acceptable. Anything over that, there is a gauge on the machine that they can ride along the weight lip on the wheel to find the low spot on the wheel and then they “match mount” the tire on the rim lining up the low spot in the wheel with the high spot in the tire.
my theory is that these trucks are so smooth and quiet and that anything even slight is super noticeable. If you have a limited or longhorn with the wood top wheel the slight vibration is even more noticeable.
The tech found that two of the tires had 40 + lbs of resistance, I think one was 43 and one was 47. The other two were under 20. They were able to match mount both and reduce resistance to 11 on one wheel/tire and 13 on the other. They also rebalanced the other tires and I have to be honest, I was way skeptical having worked in a tire shop for 2 plus years and balancing 1000’s of tires without issue without road-force but to my surprise The road-force fixed 90% of what I feel. Maybe even 100 and I just have some PTSD at 80 and feel what I think is there but idk.
my recommendation, Go to a tire shop tire shop, not an NTB or Costco or Walmart, honestly I may not even do a firestone or Goodyear, I’d find I privately owned shop, call around and find one with roadforce, not everyone does it. I know everyone thinks the dealer is the place to go, but they have the part time high school kids doing tires, the ASE techs are working on real mechanical repairs and if one of them does balance your tires, it is not necessarily their specialty, they may not really know how The road-force machine works, there is definitely an art to it.
FYI...
2019 longhorn
20” Bridgestones HL’s
10k miles
3.92 rearend
33 gal tank

Interesting. I might try this as I'm close to just putting in a case with Ram, lemon laying, or just selling it back. I'll take a look around and see if I can find a shop like that in my area and I'll report back what I find. I just have to locate a shop that just does tires.

I was thinking about taking mine to a trusted shop anyways just to see if they could locate the issue with the shaking and help me report that back to the dealer.

I love the truck but I'm also over it, sometimes I'm on a 2 hour drive and I'm sitting there like yep, I'm selling this truck to a dealer tomorrow. I dont want to but that's how frustrating this has been, probably the same feeling for many others as well.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
FYI...
2019 longhorn
20” Bridgestones HL’s
10k miles
3.92 rearend
33 gal tank
RuggedLongHorn, got a Laramie 6'4" crew cab with 2k miles and same tires, ratio and tank that you have. After first getting my truck, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, and they balanced the tires, but not road forced, and it did absolutely nothing. Two weeks ago, I brought it to a different RAM dealer, and they said they gave the truck to one of their more senior technicians, and he found all four tires significantly out of balance and road forced balanced all four tires.

I have to admit, most of the vibrations do seem to have gone away, although I swear they are still there in the upper speeds like you are finding. So maybe it's not your imagination. But for anyone following this thread, it can't hurt to have your tires road forced balanced. It may not solve the problem entirely, but in many cases there may be multiple issues contributing to these vibration issues, and having the tires road force balanced can help mitigate some of the vibration. Let's put it this way, next time you have your truck at the dealer, can't hurt to get it done.

I was able to get the dealer to do it under the warranty. I don't know how much that would have cost to have it done at a tire shop, but probably still worth it. If you do get it done at the dealer, make sure it's a senior technician that works on your tires.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Question though, do the 4x4 off road models run different shocks? Also, if so do any of those members have the shaking/vibration as well? I see a lot of people here have the 4x4 but my understanding is that they all run the same shocks but maybe the off road package has upgraded shocks?

flynfish

Reaction score
I have the ORP and the vibration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JRadford43

Reaction score
He has the off road package. The offroad package has specially tuned shocks. They are billestein. I'm not sure if they are the same shocks as all of the other rams or a different type entirely. Reason I asked that is because some members were thinking it could be shocks but if the normal models run different shocks than the off road package then that would not be the case I would think.

Brain h

Reaction score
He has the off road package. The offroad package has specially tuned shocks. They are billestein. I'm not sure if they are the same shocks as all of the other rams or a different type entirely. Reason I asked that is because some members were thinking it could be shocks but if the normal models run different shocks than the off road package then that would not be the case I would think.
Ahhhh...brain fart on my end..I'm still leaning towards torque converter/ driveshaft angle

JRadford43

Reaction score
Also,

I did go to an actual tire shop to do a road force balance. They went through each tire to get it to where it was in spec for their standards for trucks.
This is where they ended up.
Left front- 13
Right front - 6
Right Rear - 31
Left Rear - 20

They told me that was as low as they could go and it was within spec. They also said the place that installed my tires had them balanced correctly. The tire shop recommended that I take my truck in to replace those two rear tires.

Any thoughts from anyone that has experience with tires? Should I go somewhere else and do another road force on the rear to see If they can get it lower?

cbriscoe658

Reaction score
I just don’t think it’s completely tire related. I put nice $1300 all terrain tires on my Laramie and it still vibrates. Less than before but it’s still there. I was driving on the freeway last night and it barely vibrated at all. Hopped on again later that night and the vibrations were very noticeable. They come and go, which is really weird and frustrating. Really bad vibrations around 77-80 mph
I did same thing with new tires and still have vibration in the seat.

IVRam

Reaction score
I wish to "God" that someone could tell me how to fix this subtle yet evident vibration issue with my 2019 Ram Limited. The vibration was evident on the one I almost bought at the beginning of July of this year. Gave the dealership "hell" (service dept, sales staff and mgt] for about a week before buying one that was owned for a day from another dealership with the same issue....

Not enough space too give all the particulars.

I have a case number with FCA...2 months old...

What is the deal???

Trouble1233

Reaction score
I wish to "God" that someone could tell me how to fix this subtle yet evident vibration issue with my 2019 Ram Limited. The vibration was evident on the one I almost bought at the beginning of July of this year. Gave the dealership "hell" (service dept, sales staff and mgt] for about a week before buying one that was owned for a day from another dealership with the same issue....

Not enough space too give all the particulars.

I have a case number with FCA...2 months old...

What is the deal???

Me too I’m 6 weeks in..truck been sitting at the dealernot counting all that happen before I dropped it off this last time..Can you believe I haven’t been offered nothing a rental,another truck..nothing..1st Ram I ever owned and this is how they do business..I have to call Chrysler to check in and they tell me nothing..the same thing the dealership tells me..I talk to the tech he tells me you better raise hell because they not allocating no time to work on it and I get paid off what I turn..so basically I’m not a priority in their eyes..So I got a appointment with a attorney this week will see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I mentioned I am about as close as I think I’m going to get to making the vibration go away following the roadforce balance with the OEM tires and wheels, one think I will say, and I’ll update you when I swap my winters is that this year Ram replaces the 60 series tire on the 20 inch set up with a 55 series tire.
there is a lot of truck riding on reasonably short side walls leaving not much river to soak up imperfections in the ride.
I have a set of oem 18’s I bought in CL with the fortitudes in them that i will be running over the winter hoping to avoid banging up one of my 20 inch wheels in a pothole we notoriously get by December here in the northeast.
two things, I’ll let you know if that helps, but back to other thoughts... I still believe ithas something to do with some type of resonance in the steering column. I would not be surprised if the tires suck on these trucks and that causes issues that match mounting from the RF balance mostly alleviates and then we are left with the underlying resonance issue in the wheel from the steering column. What ever is left of my vibration is in the wheel at this point.
I am not sure if it is due to the electronic power steering motor or the steering shaft maybe being close to the exhaust or potentially something to do with what ever it is that keeps the electronic power steering centered...but I believe when this is fully figured out there will be some type of a fix That involves isolating or insulating the steering column and or identifying one of the components as a partial culprit.
mph and FYI, I went over all of the stabilizer bars and links, upper and lower control arms, and anything else that looked like it could cause a wobble or shake if Not properly torqued down and found that the brackets that hold the front stabilizer bar were a bit loose and the rear stabilizer links and mount were quite loose.

jniemuth

Reaction score
I've had the vibration since new and now have 20,000 miles. Mine is directly related to the truck going into 4 cylinder mode. I can start and stop the vibration by limiting the change and forcing the truck to stay in 8 cylinder mode. So everytime I start it up, the first thing I do is use the gear limiter and no more vibration. Sucks to have to do this, but at least there is no more vibration for me.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with the ATMMs. They should cancel the vibration when MDS is active.

Users who are viewing this thread