5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Smoot178

Reaction score
That just screams 'tire problem'.

This was my 6th documented visit to a dealer. On visit 5 they replaced all 4 tires with Michelin Defenders. Significant vibration still in the 70-90 mph range. Also shakes the wheel when coming off the highway. Not RPM or MDS related.

I documented the vibration coming off the highway (no brake application, just coasting). The vibration frequency is too high at highway speed to get picked up by the camera, but you can sure feel it.

I took a bunch of videos and this was the best one.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Today I took two vibration measurements on my phone.

The first is taken over an 18 second period:

You can see that the analysis shows a vibration of 15Hz.

When you take the calculation of my tire size and calculate it out ( https://blog.mide.com/calculating-tire-speed-from-vibration ), a vibration of 15Hz means I was traveling at approximately 85MPH which is DEAD accurate for what my cruise control was set to.

When I got off the highway and took a measurement as I was getting off, I slowed down to 50 and took another measurement:

8.9Hz comes out to 50MPH.

So after 6 visits I still have scientific proof there is an issue. Not that I can't feel it, as it is very apparent and noticeable.

BTW this app is called myfrequency on the android app store. It was worth the $10.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So is it a relatively standard procedure for the dealer to replace all 4 tires with the Michelins? Seems odd that they would put the non-OE tires on unless they absolutely knew there was a documented issue with the Bridgestones and FCA was telling them to do it.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today I took two vibration measurements on my phone.

The first is taken over an 18 second period:

View attachment 21764

You can see that the analysis shows a vibration of 15Hz.

When you take the calculation of my tire size and calculate it out ( https://blog.mide.com/calculating-tire-speed-from-vibration ), a vibration of 15Hz means I was traveling at approximately 85MPH which is DEAD accurate for what my cruise control was set to.

When I got off the highway and took a measurement as I was getting off, I slowed down to 50 and took another measurement:

View attachment 21765

8.9Hz comes out to 50MPH.

So after 6 visits I still have scientific proof there is an issue. Not that I can't feel it, as it is very apparent and noticeable.

BTW this app is called myfrequency on the android app store. It was worth the $10.
These are what are known as 1st order vibrations, meaning the vibration frequency is the same as rotational frequency of the tire. Tire spins at 15 hz vibration at 15 hz. A second order vibration would be a vibration at 30 hz when the tire spins at 15 hz. The point is that 1st order vibrations are typically caused by mass imbalance. Higher order vibrations are caused by other issues like run out and tire imperfections.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I feel like I may be getting a slight vibration between the speeds of 57-63 mph. It’s not mds related because I have used the gear selector to turn it off. Anyone else experiencing this? I can mainly feel it in the floor.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I’ve had this same problem on my Laramie with 20 inch bridgestones. Around 60 mph as well. Took it to the dealer to balance again, which they did and said they drove it and couldn’t feel it any longer. BS! Still vibrates. I ended up just getting some new tires from Les Schwab here in Oregon to see if that’d help. It did help a bit but it still vibrates around 60mph and again around 75-80mph. Thinking of taking it back to the dealer for an alignment. Let me know if any of you guys figure out what this is! Thx
Get road force balanced

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get road force balanced

I have replaced all 4 tires, had them road forced and balanced, Still there between 58-63 MPH. Took it it to a different shop that balances wheels/tires for race cars and a lot of Porsche track cars. Road forced and forced matched all 4 tires, Split plane and 0 gram balance using the 3M weighting system, not the little 1/4 oz brick weights. Better but still there. I already suffered through the "chevy shake" issue GM had with the K2XX platform and they never fixed. Looks like Ram has a similar issue hopefully they figure it out. The smoother the pavement, the more the truck shakes.

Brain h

Reaction score
That sounds like flat spotting, But flat spots usually go away after driving for 10 miles or so.

I am currently on my fifth trip to the dealer vibration. Had the air pressure adjustment..rfb and alignment done already. Going to push for a run out test for the wheels and tires to see if they are true and if possible replacement...to me it feels like bad wheel or possible driveline imbalance...but doing my research I have found d this to be interesting....

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am currently on my fifth trip to the dealer vibration. Had the air pressure adjustment..rfb and alignment done already. Going to push for a run out test for the wheels and tires to see if they are true and if possible replacement...to me it feels like bad wheel or possible driveline imbalance...but doing my research I have found d this to be interesting....

Unfortunately the 1500 doesn't have any of the components he replaced. It already has a one piece drive shaft without a center carrier, and it rides on coils not leafs. Not to say the spring rate isn't to blame. The vibration definitely feels like its coming from the rear, I can actually see the bed shaking in the side mirrors. The truck just feels very unsettled in the rear end in general like the suspension just isn't right. I don't believe the rear coils are progressive, and it very well could be an issue with the springs or shocks, or both.

Here's a link to the suspension components for the 1500 DT. 10 different shock part numbers and about 30 different part numbers for the rear coils some on revision AA some on AB all with different prices which lead me to believe they are trim/cab/drive/bed specific. Wrong coils/shocks going on the wrong trucks? possibly, we have all heard of mismatched seats, and mismatched trim going onto to trucks, it's not hard to believe some trucks are getting the wrong springs/shocks or worse yet mismatched, but who knows.

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com...gine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

1guyandtools

Reaction score
I feel like I may be getting a slight vibration between the speeds of 57-63 mph. It’s not mds related because I have used the gear selector to turn it off. Anyone else experiencing this? I can mainly feel it in the floor.
Have someone road force balance the wheels. That should determine which wheel is out of round or a tire ply separation. I have overseen a dealer that had to go through 22 new Goodyear tires and eight different rims before we had a winner. Most likely there is some type of ply separation in the rear tires is my guess. that's why you feel it in the seat/floor.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have someone road force balance the wheels. That should determine which wheel is out of round or a tire ply separation. I have overseen a dealer that had to go through 22 new Goodyear tires and eight different rims before we had a winner. Most likely there is some type of ply separation in the rear tires is my guess. that's why you feel it in the seat/floor.
You wouldn't by chance have owned a 2014-2018 silverado or sierra? I had mine forced matched below 7 lbs and balanced within 2 grams. It's not the wheels or tires.

Baile730

Reaction score
I have the same vibration issue. I find it at any speed with low engine rpm's ( around 1300 to 1600) with a slight load on the accelerator. I am thinking mine might be related to the transmission. It's coming up on winter and I have been trying out the 4-high. It doesn't seem to be working as I think it should. Even in 4-high, I am getting rear wheel hop when taking any kind of corner and there is a fairly loud whine. In other vehicles I have had, 4-high was pretty free wheeling with no noticeable difference than 2 wheel. I am bring my truck in next week to be looked at.
Same here but mine's most noticeable at about 35 MPH @ 1200 RPMS. Definitely not a tire issue as I clanged all tires and rims hoping things would be better; that's not the case.

Baile730

Reaction score
Mine is not tire related in any way. It is 100% RPM related. I can duplicate the vibration ranging from 35 mph to 70 mph. Its between 1250 rpm and 1750 rpm the worse at the 1250 ish range.
Sam here. Definitely not the tires, as I changed all rims and tires to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread