5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip e-torque?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here you go…one of the first hits on Google:

Still waiting for a video disproving official Stellantis or FCA statements…

At absolutely NO point in that video did he state that eTorque provides additional torque to the wheels while cruising.

He only reiterated what I and others have said a million times, which is that this is used from 0 to 3 MPH to help get the vehicle rolling, that it "smooths out" shifts, and that it can recover some energy from braking.

I'm still waiting for that video you speak of....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
At 60k miles and after one PPU replacement at 34k, my balls are shaking...
My truck and I have a small prayer every morning before I push the start button. It's sunny out and the skies are clear. Hopefully our prayer will be heard when the rain comes and there are some reception problems..
It gives me so much anxiety, I'm probably not going to buy another eTorque.
Anxiety over what?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At absolutely NO point in that video did he state that eTorque provides additional torque to the wheels while cruising.

He only reiterated what I and others have said a million times, which is that this is used from 0 to 3 MPH to help get the vehicle rolling, that it "smooths out" shifts, and that it can recover some energy from braking.

I responded to another member’s claim in post 67 that eTorque does nothing but stop-start (before you jumped in and responded to me). This video (and even your comments here) support my challenge to that incorrect statement.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

“As it has been for many years, the HEMI V8 is equipped with a cylinder deactivation system that can shut off four cylinders during light load conditions. However, since most roads aren’t completely level, the engine often ends up cycling back and forth between four and eight cylinder modes. With the mild hybrid system, the BSG can give the engine enough of a boost on gentle grades to keep the engine in four cylinder mode to keep the other four cylinders shut down.” In simple terms, it may not keep you in ECO mode longer in the Rockies or the Texas hill country but it does help you stay in ECO mode longer in the flats like the Gulf Coast.

www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2018/08/24/2019-ram-1500-etorque-getting-mildly-hybridized/amp/

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 60k miles and after one PPU replacement at 34k, my balls are shaking...
My truck and I have a small prayer every morning before I push the start button. It's sunny out and the skies are clear. Hopefully our prayer will be heard when the rain comes and there are some reception problems..
It gives me so much anxiety, I'm probably not going to buy another eTorque.

Did the dealer tell you what it would’ve cost if not under warranty?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Anxiety over what?
The power pack blowing up on me again.
It's really not something I want to deal with again, especially with no warranty.

Did the dealer tell you what it would’ve cost if not under warranty?
I was very involved in this process and knew exactly how much everything cost and how long it takes to get/replace.
PPU $2500
Labor $1000-1500
Programming $175

Drewster

Reaction score
The power pack blowing up on me again.
It's really not something I want to deal with again, especially with no warranty.

I was very involved in this process and knew exactly how much everything cost and how long it takes to get/replace.
PPU $2500
Labor $1000-1500
Programming $175
You're at 60k? Well then eTorque still has 20k more miles of coverage as discussed earlier in this thread.

MNbeardie

Reaction score
I like the etorque. It's the wave of the future. All Chevy & Fords have start/stop as standard equipment. RAM only has it on the etorque models. I average 19 mpg with 5.7 etorque & 3.92 gears. I bet I'd average 21 if I had the 3.21 gears. That's excellent for a full size truck. It's hard to find a Bighorn with etorque. Only 3 on the lot. I noticed almost all the Limited trims have etorque.
For comparison. I'm getting 16mpg with a gas 5.7 and 3.92 gears. And that's being really conscious of my acceleration.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Had 5 RAMs without it. On my 2nd with it. I can't tell ANY difference with it. Long trips, short trips, and in all kinds of terrain from flat lands to mountains. Towing and not. If it didn't have start stop, ain't no way I'd know if it was or wasn't there. My 2020 with it got rhe worst mpg of any RAM I've ever owned by just little and my 2021 is right on that same path so far. Then again I've never seen above 17 mpg in any RAM I've owned, no matter how hard I tried to milk more out of them.

I wouldn't choose to have it, but wouldn't choose to avoid it. It is a total non factor to me.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You're at 60k? Well then eTorque still has 20k more miles of coverage as discussed earlier in this thread.
I know... But they can always blame it on something/someone(I was accused of blowing it up) else...
I'm sure it's not going to be easy for me to have it replaced now that there's 0 warranty on anything but the emission parts(ET included)...

MontFla

Reaction score
Hi I've settled on buying a Ram as my first truck and need some advice; hope this isn't too contentious.

In researching the regular 5.7 or 5.7+etorque, most discussion seems to focus on cost vs. value, but except for that thread on etorque problems, generally speaking, most people seem to be happy with this addition. When most of these threads were started, there was a price difference between the two - today it's a $200 difference which is basically negligible.

I do a lot of long distance driving and I would like to benefit from the extra mpg. But I found a truck that has everything I want except it's just the regular 5.7. Since cost is not a factor: is there a good reason to pass and find another truck with etorque? Conversely, other than technical issues covered in the appropriate thread, is there a good reason that I should accept the lower mpg of the non-etorque setup and buy the 5.7, again, with cost being no factor?

Thanks for your help
I got the e torque and love it!!

Users who are viewing this thread