5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SKAR audio 12 inch enclosure and some other stuff...

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently upgraded my low end audio with the addition of a SKAR Audio single 12 underseat enclosure. Pretty good deal at 139.00 shipped on Amazon Prime.
Wound up having to ditch my underseat storage bin (replaced it with a storage bag which actually fit everything I had in that bin👍) but am really happy overall with the box. I do not regret giving up that space.
Very nice fit and finish. Solid build, clean carpet top, really nice. Sits flat and is designed with a elevated front to clear the floor mat as well.
Loaded it with an older JL Audio 12w1v2-4 sub and powered by a just as old JL Audio E1200 200 watt mono block amp I took out from my wife's car before we donated it years ago.
Also kept my Pioneer powered sub and am feeding it the preamp signal from the E1200. Watched a bunch of you tube videos to get mounting ideas and fabbed a plexiglass/wood panel to bolt to the back wall. Left extended tabs on plexi and used my heat gun to bend them into place, just like the videos, lol! Really happy how that board came out.
Unfortunately I suck at taking progress photos so all I got are after photos of the install. While I had the seats out, I also did the backrest mod.

I had previously upgraded my dash speakers to some JBL Club 322's and the doors to Infinity Primus 6x9's and 6.5's. I also upgraded from a PAC APSub to an AP4, and will install a JBL 4086DSP 8 channel amp when I get time.

Overall, super pleased with the end result. Lots of adjustable low end on tap now and much better audio quality with the speaker upgrades. Anyone considering the SKAR enclosure, I dont think you'll be disappointed for the price. You just have to be willing to give up the space for it.

20230321_182945.jpg
20230321_182950.jpg 20230502_141023.jpg 20230502_140808.jpg
20230502_141040.jpg
20230502_141845.jpg

Attachments

• 20230502_140745.jpg
    20230502_140745.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230502_140745.jpg
    20230502_140745.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230502_140754.jpg
    20230502_140754.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230502_140808.jpg
    20230502_140808.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 89

Redram1

Reaction score
Looks good. Do you happen to have the link for the SKAR box?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Redram1

Reaction score

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good!

Man, I wish that was available last year when I was finding something that fit that location. I ended up cutting a dual under seat Silverado enclosure in half.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good!

Man, I wish that was available last year when I was finding something that fit that location. I ended up cutting a dual under seat Silverado enclosure in half.
Thanks! Cheapest option out there, and I think they’re the only manufacturer making single enclosures.
Fit and finish is awesome, and I at least retained some storage space under the driver side seat by going with a single 12. Plenty bass to be had.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! Cheapest option out there, and I think they’re the only manufacturer making single enclosures.
Fit and finish is awesome, and I at least retained some storage space under the driver side seat by going with a single 12. Plenty bass to be had.
Mine is a kicker comp vx 12” with a kicker zx400 amp. The box spends most of its time out of the truck though, since it seems like I’m always folding the seat up and putting some big stuff on the floor.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much does it overlap the hidden storage compartment? Did you have to trim your floor mat?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much does it overlap the hidden storage compartment? Did you have to trim your floor mat?

Is the nice thing about its design, too. It is cut out to fit over the floor mats and doesn’t even reach the floor bin. The front of it sits flush with the edge of the seat. 👍
Mine is a kicker comp vx 12” with a kicker zx400 amp. The box spends most of its time out of the truck though, since it seems like I’m always folding the seat up and putting some big stuff on the floor.
I’ve had the JL sub and amp for well over 15 years. Donated my wife’s 05 Altima about 6 years ago, so it’s been in my garage storage since.
Really just out the cost of the box and wiring on this one. Total budget upgrade and seriously amazed the gear still works!

Redram1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I am going for a quad cab and so far the only enclosures I have found are this site below. Box design looks really good and they can custom make the airspace to whatever you desire. I'm going with a Sundown SA Classic 12. Enclosure is pricey, but I love the design.

Fbird

Reaction score
only thing I notice of the SKAR box is .. it .must use a "shallow" sub? at only 5 3/4" depth...NOTHING I have looked at is that shallow
? the Skar

VD-12​

is a bit flat at 86 db sensitivity...vs my pioneers at 92 db BUT requires 6+ " depth.

Your PICS are awesome and provide me with a wealth of into. Basically THIS box will be awesome for MY build after I fix it a little bit!!!!
THANKYOU!!

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only thing I notice of the SKAR box is .. it .must use a "shallow" sub? at only 5 3/4" depth...NOTHING I have looked at is that shallow
? the Skar

VD-12​

is a bit flat at 86 db sensitivity...vs my pioneers at 92 db BUT requires 6+ " depth.

Your PICS are awesome and provide me with a wealth of into. Basically THIS box will be awesome for MY build after I fix it a little bit!!!!
THANKYOU!!
You’re welcome. My old JL Audio sub has a 5 1/8 depth. It just fits.
There is this sub from Crutchfield…

Ratchet

Reaction score
I've got the same box with Skar's shallow VD-12 2ohm. Powering it with a Skar monoblock. I'm not new to mobile audio, but didn't want to go crazy in a truck knowing how far that rabbit hole can go. I've been pretty pleased with it so far. Had it a few months now. More than enough low end to tickle ones fancy for the price.

Fbird

Reaction score
Here's what I just boxed up in my 06 Explorer. Make a box for the back a pr of 12"s and a MTX 1000.1 I made the box sealed with 1.3 cu ft each and I must say it rocks HARD. I feel bad letting my teenager drive it now. Figured one 12 with another 1000.1 then my 4 way kenwood 400 amp to new pioneer 6x9's in the doors should liven things up where they should be.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Dang I want to upgrade my system in my truck with some MTX or JL sub(s), but I need that entire storage space. Not to mention my ol' lady will get pissed if I spent money on that right now lol

PeteyK49

Reaction score
I have the same box with Skars vd12d2. It sounded awesome until yesterday. I’m hoping I can fit a sundown sld 12” sub in it. It has about a 1/4 more mounting depth but can be mounted up against the box since there’s no vents in the magnet.

Fbird

Reaction score
i did some mods to my SKAR box. 1st cut a big hole in it where the speaker magnet ends up. (7" hole) then made a 8 x 8 scab out of 3/4" mdf. Screwed and glued over hole. (this scab mearly pushes up on the seat cover bottom...there are no supportd in the seat) Next up remove the plastic shield on my pioneer speaker and lastly use my router to plunge hole shape in scab to allow for magnet (about 5/16" deep). I also added a USB charging port thru the box for my rear seats... next peel back the carpet in the PORT opening and make a plug of 2" mdf screwed and glued in, place carpet over plug and hit with staple gun. Sound great as a sealed box (hits pretty good). This was STILL easier than making an entire box!!!! I only had 3 hrs in it. LASTLY and always important ...to ME. ADD a thru bolt "EYE HOOK" for attaching a teather rope!!!!
If you have ever been HIT by a 65 lb speaker box AFTER some crazy Karen crashes into YOU....you will TIE STUFF DOWN ;)

Rich765

Reaction score
i did some mods to my SKAR box. 1st cut a big hole in it where the speaker magnet ends up. (7" hole) then made a 8 x 8 scab out of 3/4" mdf. Screwed and glued over hole. (this scab mearly pushes up on the seat cover bottom...there are no supportd in the seat) Next up remove the plastic shield on my pioneer speaker and lastly use my router to plunge hole shape in scab to allow for magnet (about 5/16" deep). I also added a USB charging port thru the box for my rear seats... next peel back the carpet in the PORT opening and make a plug of 2" mdf screwed and glued in, place carpet over plug and hit with staple gun. Sound great as a sealed box (hits pretty good). This was STILL easier than making an entire box!!!! I only had 3 hrs in it. LASTLY and always important ...to ME. ADD a thru bolt "EYE HOOK" for attaching a teather rope!!!!
If you have ever been HIT by a 65 lb speaker box AFTER some crazy Karen crashes into YOU....you will TIE STUFF DOWN ;)
Got any pictures of what you did. i just ordered my box and liked you mods

Users who are viewing this thread