5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SiriusXM streaming through truck's cellular stopped working

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, I have an odd issue. First off I live in Alaska where traditional satellite radio does not work. However for the past 2 1/2 years I have been streaming SiriusXM though my truck's cellular connection with no issues. In the past week the service stopped working. I tried resetting the radio and my account is current and paid through next year so it should be fine. Just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem and how it was resolved. The local dealer can't even look at it until mid-March, which is whole other topic...what's the point in having a factory warranty if you can't even use it for 3+ months!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it work on your phone without the trucks wifi? Have you tried to hook up and other device to the trucks wifi to verify its working? You might need to contact the cellular service you are using for the truck. AT&T calls it connected car. Mine stopped working after an update and they say I can't get it because of a Uconnect bug that is being worked on.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it work on your phone without the trucks wifi? Have you tried to hook up and other device to the trucks wifi to verify its working? You might need to contact the cellular service you are using for the truck. AT&T calls it connected car. Mine stopped working after an update and they say I can't get it because of a Uconnect bug that is being worked on.
Yes it works fine on my phone, the cellular the truck was using was not a paid service, it just worked with the SiriusXM service.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes it works fine on my phone, the cellular the truck was using was not a paid service, it just worked with the SiriusXM service.
Is your truck new? Maybe you had a trial of cellular service and it expired. I had a trial when I bought my truck.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clearly they changed something. You will need to call Uconnect customer service to see.
Didn't think about calling them. The issue I am repeatedly running into is that nobody knows (including dealership employees) that you can stream through the vehicle itself.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I have an odd issue. First off I live in Alaska where traditional satellite radio does not work. However for the past 2 1/2 years I have been streaming SiriusXM though my truck's cellular connection with no issues. In the past week the service stopped working. I tried resetting the radio and my account is current and paid through next year so it should be fine. Just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem and how it was resolved. The local dealer can't even look at it until mid-March, which is whole other topic...what's the point in having a factory warranty if you can't even use it for 3+ months!
I think you mean that you’ve been using the radio’s WiFi hotspot to stream SiriusXM?
That’s how it works when you lose satellite reception, it will switch to streaming if there is an active WiFi hotspot. I’ve heard of people just having the WiFi active without paying for the service, and I had a 12” transplanted radio that was like that. Sounds like they finally caught on and killed your active WiFi.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you mean that you’ve been using the radio’s WiFi hotspot to stream SiriusXM?
That’s how it works when you lose satellite reception, it will switch to streaming if there is an active WiFi hotspot. I’ve heard of people just having the WiFi active without paying for the service, and I had a 12” transplanted radio that was like that. Sounds like they finally caught on and killed your active WiFi.
Maybe? Like I said I have never paid for the Hotspot service and assumed it just worked with the paid car streaming service since that is a different charge than just home access.

Users who are viewing this thread