5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signatures

ssick92

Reaction score
Did this option just become default? I'm another one who prefers to see sigs

Same here... I'd prefer the default setting to be showing all signatures with a setting to change all signatures to a link to display. I am still very new here so the signatures help me to give me ideas about what to think about for my truck. If I were a longer term user I'm sure it might start getting annoying...

Santa

Reaction score
I don’t mind clicking for signatures but I DO want to see what vehicle options were factory installed AND what mods are on the vehicles. Such short signatures do not allow for both. Limiting to such short signatures is ridiculou!

Paultg

Reaction score
Same here... I'd prefer the default setting to be showing all signatures with a setting to change all signatures to a link to display. I am still very new here so the signatures help me to give me ideas about what to think about for my truck. If I were a longer term user I'm sure it might start getting annoying...
I echo this response too. I don't understand why folks who don't want to see them can't just go into their profile and turn them off?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I echo this response too. I don't understand why folks who don't want to see them can't just go into their profile and turn them off?
Because, I still would like to see a signature on occasion without having to go in and change settings and then change them back. The Jeep Wrangler forum made the switch a few months ago and it was well received and the forum covers 60+ years of Jeep owners. The Corvette forum doesn't post signatures by default and if you want it to show, you have to go to advanced settings and manually insert it for that single post.
This way I can quickly view posts without scrolling through line upon line of redundant signatures and when there happens to be a signature that I want to see, it's a simple click to view....

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I feel we've gone from one extreme to the other now.

I too prefer seeing (small-ish) signatures by default. Users who are upset by this should use the setting in their profile to hide sigs. Perhaps there could be a third option: "link only" which is what is displayed right now.

I mean this "view signature" thing is just going to encourage more guys to copy and paste their entire signature into the bottom of each and every post (where there is a will, there is a way) and then how do we fix that?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Signatures aren't a bad idea if used correctly. Unfortunately some members go way overboard with upcoming mods or what's planned next such as next oil change or wax or they consider air fresheners and license plate frame as a mod

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

dwalton357

Reaction score
Wish there was an option to display all signatures. Not a fan of the new change. Very helpful for rookies like me that are able to get a quick glimpse of what a guy has done. Lots of signatures with the same info tells me that something is good or possible without having to click to view all the time.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do we actually have the option to display signatures all the time? Went through the setting and didn't see it. I actually preferred the old set up as it was easier for me to tell when signatures ended.

I feel like I'm seeing guys copy/paste their signature on posts that look like

"hey changed my oil today

2020 ram 1500
Blah
Bleh
Blah"

I feel like the old way had a bar or something to differentiate the text?

Personally I feel like there should be away to maybe block media like pictures or videos? Limit it to three full lines and no media and that should be sufficient I think. If you have mods then start a build log and link to it. Easy peasy.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Do we actually have the option to display signatures all the time? Went through the setting and didn't see it. I actually preferred the old set up as it was easier for me to tell when signatures ended.

I feel like I'm seeing guys copy/paste their signature on posts that look like

"hey changed my oil today

2020 ram 1500
Blah
Bleh
Blah"

I feel like the old way had a bar or something to differentiate the text?

Personally I feel like there should be away to maybe block media like pictures or videos? Limit it to three full lines and no media and that should be sufficient I think. If you have mods then start a build log and link to it. Easy peasy.
Agree.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I can see how the lengthy sigs clutter up reading panes of the board. I have a (somewhat) lengthy one myself.

Adding year/model under the avatar frame - and leaving the "link to extended sig" so someone can "dig deeper" would be a valid compromise.

Also keeping in mind - aside from the additional "visual clutter" - having 1,000's of users with ginormous sigs also eats up BANDWIDTH - both for the site (which pays for it) and the user (who has to wait for all the additional data to load and be displayed). Site supporters and advertisers contribute to the finances it takes to keep the board hosted (because it ain't FREE) - but every effort to make the board run FASTER and COST LESS are probably prudent moves.

Though I do miss seeing everyone's Fuelly badges so I can be INSANELY JEALOUS of everyone else fuel mileage, because mine SUCKS (heavy right foot, 90% city driving).

Rick

silver billet

Reaction score
I can see how the lengthy sigs clutter up reading panes of the board. I have a (somewhat) lengthy one myself.

Adding year/model under the avatar frame - and leaving the "link to extended sig" so someone can "dig deeper" would be a valid compromise.

Also keeping in mind - aside from the additional "visual clutter" - having 1,000's of users with ginormous sigs also eats up BANDWIDTH - both for the site (which pays for it) and the user (who has to wait for all the additional data to load and be displayed). Site supporters and advertisers contribute to the finances it takes to keep the board hosted (because it ain't FREE) - but every effort to make the board run FASTER and COST LESS are probably prudent moves.

Though I do miss seeing everyone's Fuelly badges so I can be INSANELY JEALOUS of everyone else fuel mileage, because mine SUCKS (heavy right foot, 90% city driving).

Rick

Your point is technically correct, but I fear the scale is way off. The background image (ram truck) at the top of each page is like half a meg; 500,000 bytes. The number of bytes it takes to download a text signature is the amount of chars in it; 50? 100 bytes? Maybe a few extra chars if they used markup/rich text?

Signatures disappearing is not due to bandwidth :)

Reaction score
I personally like the signatures always have. They give you something to read about someone else’s truck without having to do a post like “list all the things you did to your truck”. Having signatures is fun to read and it gives us all ideas of the next modifications we may want to make. So at the end of the day, thanks everyone for having a signature that cost me lots of $$$ in modifications. Thanks for making my wallet lighter Haha haha.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally like the signatures always have. They give you something to read about someone else’s truck without having to do a post like “list all the things you did to your truck”. Having signatures is fun to read and it gives us all ideas of the next modifications we may want to make. So at the end of the day, thanks everyone for having a signature that cost me lots of $$$ in modifications. Thanks for making my wallet lighter Haha haha.
Each to his own. At least you don't waste a line for each item.... But, I might want to see what y'all have once in a while. I'd rather not have to scroll past big long signatures all the time. If I wanted to see what you have it was a simple click.... Now I have my phone screen filled up with your signature for a one sentence reply...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Each to his own. At least you don't waste a line for each item.... But, I might want to see what y'all have once in a while. I'd rather not have to scroll past big long signatures all the time. If I wanted to see what you have it was a simple click.... Now I have my phone screen filled up with your signature for a one sentence reply...
Remember that you can always turn them off if you’re not wanting to see them.

silver billet

Reaction score

Just so you know... I don't see anything in your signature other than a few yellow words like "from factory" and "add ons". A few random letters like "C" and "N". Probably because I browse the forum using the white "dimension child" theme, so everything looks normal like a web page should with white/gray backgrounds and black text. So while your signature which is probably mostly white text looks fine on default forum theme, it doesn't actually show up for those who switch the theme to something else.

Reaction score
Just so you know... I don't see anything in your signature other than a few yellow words like "from factory" and "add ons". A few random letters like "C" and "N". Probably because I browse the forum using the white "dimension child" theme, so everything looks normal like a web page should with white/gray backgrounds and black text. So while your signature which is probably mostly white text looks fine on default forum theme, it doesn't actually show up for those who switch the theme to something else.
Yeah I noticed that one I switched to the white theme lol. And black text is to dark on the darker background.

Users who are viewing this thread