5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your Step bars!

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The G/T Laramie i test drove had those, and i didn't expect it haha, so when they moved after i opened the door i was like "wtf is happening rn??" hahah and i did also notice that they won't open if something is in the way. (they had this one parked up on a like rock climbing looking display and there was a giant chunk of granite under the passenger one, and it would start to open then go back up) pretty interesting.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The G/T Laramie i test drove had those, and i didn't expect it haha, so when they moved after i opened the door i was like "wtf is happening rn??" hahah and i did also notice that they won't open if something is in the way. (they had this one parked up on a like rock climbing looking display and there was a giant chunk of granite under the passenger one, and it would start to open then go back up) pretty interesting.
First three our four times I opened my door to get in my truck, I completely forgot about them. My shins reminded me.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Good look! I have a 3 1/2 year old granddaughter who climbes in and out of my truck with just the Nfab side steps. She's like a little monkey though. Cute as a button but very tomboyish already! She likes riding in JerBear's big truck. She's my heart!
Haha I know exactly what you mean. I can't leave the house to go anywhere (except work) without taking my 3 year old daughter with me. She doesn't get excited to go anywhere in momma's van but anytime there's a chance to go in dada's truck she's in! It's cute and it makes me feel good. Watching her climb up the truck into her little seat is also entertaining.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Tyger Star Armors as well. For the price they're great, but the reinforcement bar on the bottom hangs lower than the skid plates. If I had the money I'd go with the Mopar power steps just for the tucked away look. Oddly enough, my wife doesn't need them but the kids and I do. Marry a tall girl, guys!

Never had any problems with missing the step even if you don't hit the plate. Unless you're doing something like dipping your toe down you'll still land on one of the tubes.

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
Finally got my truck delivered on February 2, 2022. Had it over to the Line-X dealer the following Friday and had the bed liner sprayed as well as my RB20 powder coated running boards. Very happy with how they came out and look on the truck.

Attachments

• Ram Rebel_Running Boards.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 103

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK fellow Rebels,

I ordered my 2022 but i did not get the Mopar steps. I don't like the long flat "running board" look they have. I prefer the oval or round pipe style with step pads. Tho, i am still on the fence about some of the drop step "off road" style that sit right up against the rocker panel with only the small step portions sit lower.

I'm looking thru the Rebel pics thread and there's some interesting ones in there. but just curious what everyone's seen/experienced with durability, weld quality, and most of all the powder coating lasting... i feel like that in particular is my nemesis with these things as they always flake at some point. Lemme know your thoughts... and what they look like on your Rebel!

some i have looked at are Westin HDX, N-Fab podium LG, Westin Pro-Traxx, Rough Country Ovals, and even Tyger Riders.

lemme know! and thx in advance!
1644702171009.jpeg
NFab Podiums.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had two different steps on my truck. The first set were Nfabs, they were nice and looked good but they were really loud when the roads were wet. I took them off and purchased the Go Rhino RB20's. I love these steps. They look super mean and they are very sturdy.
Thats very interesting... "loud when the roads were wet..." :unsure::unsure:

I actually prefer the look of the curved oval tube step style myself so after all this research and all these photos i think i'm gonna TRY the Tyger Auto Rider running boards. (which is a misnomer cuz they are tube steps) They have a textured powder coat finish (which looks pretty good), are pretty cheap, and the reviews and install instructions and vids I've seen are positive. And they attach on the 5th gens the same as all the other ones. If for some reason those don't work out i'll likely go to the Rough Country tube ones... but I can't see putting ones on that cost over $400 again like Westins since powder coating on all brands eventually flakes off... (and by eventually i mean within 2 years) And it could be my region, but still.

Powder coating and me have a love/hate relationship. Powder coating loves to flake off and have me hate it and want to take the steps off and bring them to the range and turn them into screen doors... but then I wasted money on the steps AND the ammo. :cautious:

So this time i'm gonna take them and get them Line-x'd when it happens haha.

Last edited:

RamRebel1258

Reaction score
Haha I guess that does sound strange. BUT! When the roads are really wet or you hit a puddle at 55+ mph you could hear the water hitting the steps. I know that there is increased road noise when roads are wet put this was a very noticeable high pitched sound. That is honestly the only reason I switched. I loved the look and usability of the Nfab epyx step. E333DA13-C71A-4553-8FD0-6684E5E42271.jpeg

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense. Guess ya don’t know til ya try em. Hahha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
I have had two different steps on my truck. The first set were Nfabs, they were nice and looked good but they were really loud when the roads were wet. I took them off and purchased the Go Rhino RB20's. I love these steps. They look super mean and they are very sturdy. View attachment 120464
yours look like they are tucked up a bit higher. is there any adjustments for that? the dealer put them on mine so i am not sure

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I actually prefer the look of the curved oval tube step style myself so after all this research and all these photos i think i'm gonna TRY the Tyger Auto Rider running boards. (which is a misnomer cuz they are tube steps) They have a textured powder coat finish (which looks pretty good), are pretty cheap, and the reviews and install instructions and vids I've seen are positive. And they attach on the 5th gens the same as all the other ones. If for some reason those don't work out i'll likely go to the Rough Country tube ones... but I can't see putting ones on that cost over $400 again like Westins since powder coating on all brands eventually flakes off... (and by eventually i mean within 2 years) And it could be my region, but still.

Powder coating and me have a love/hate relationship. Powder coating loves to flake off and have me hate it and want to take the steps off and bring them to the range and turn them into screen doors... but then I wasted money on the steps AND the ammo. :cautious:

So this time i'm gonna take them and get them Line-x'd when it happens haha.
The mopar brands hold up years without rusting, check out the reviews on them. Although you may not like the styles

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The mopar brands hold up years without rusting, check out the reviews on them. Although you may not like the styles
Yeah I've seen em... and correct i am not a fan. They used to have the step bar style but changed to this flat style along the way, which is why i didn't put them on my order... they're also approaching $600 aftermarket and were a $700 option on the list... another HUGE turn off for something I still don't believe the powder coat will hold up on. Not really worried about rust in particular since most of these made of stainless or aluminum now. They just still can't get that powder coat to stick in an area that has a bunch of snow/ice removal chemicals half the year. And i've had 5 sets of step bars different trucks over the years, all different manufacturers and 2 sets of OEM... the only ones that looked the same on the last day as they did on the first day were the bare brushed aluminum ones. No coat... so no coating can fail, hahaha unfortunately those don't look good at all IMO on a dark, sexy truck like these new Rebels.

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed!, And yeah, that was my plan with my current truck which looked like they had leprosy. But then i got this crazy new Ram deal and i took em off, and rattle canned those b!tchiz. New one can't get here fast enough!

i DID call a shop and they gave me a crazy-pants hight quote for what i asked. do you remember what you paid fore the line-x? (not that i could use the info down here, but just curious.)

Users who are viewing this thread