5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your Step bars!

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK fellow Rebels,

I ordered my 2022 but i did not get the Mopar steps. I don't like the long flat "running board" look they have. I prefer the oval or round pipe style with step pads. Tho, i am still on the fence about some of the drop step "off road" style that sit right up against the rocker panel with only the small step portions sit lower.

I'm looking thru the Rebel pics thread and there's some interesting ones in there. but just curious what everyone's seen/experienced with durability, weld quality, and most of all the powder coating lasting... i feel like that in particular is my nemesis with these things as they always flake at some point. Lemme know your thoughts... and what they look like on your Rebel!

some i have looked at are Westin HDX, N-Fab podium LG, Westin Pro-Traxx, Rough Country Ovals, and even Tyger Riders.

lemme know! and thx in advance!

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
I am hoping my Rebel is delivered within the next 2-3 weeks. It was supposed to be shipped on 12/31. I have looked over a lot of options and think I am going to get the Go Rhino RB20 side bars. I am going with the powder coat finish and when I get my truck off to the Line-X shop for the sprayed in bed-liner, I am having them do the side rails the same as the bed. I think they look really good. If you go to American Trucks and put in your vehicle information there are a lot of custom build photos that help you decide. Here is the one that best matches the color of the Rebel I ordered with the side rails that I am contemplating. I will be glad to be loosing the white labeling on the side rails as seen below. I am hoping that the LineX on them holds up and stays nice......

1641169126507.png

Rebel2022

Reaction score
i’m not a fan of any steps, just don’t like the look and being 6’4 have no need for them but the wife and kids insisted on my new Rebel so I went with the Mopar power steps. Can’t really even see them when retracted which I really like.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i’m not a fan of any steps, just don’t like the look and being 6’4 have no need for them but the wife and kids insisted on my new Rebel so I went with the Mopar power steps. Can’t really even see them when retracted which I really like.
yeah i get that... my buddy who is 6'1" got his truck off a lot and it came with steps and he took em off. Same for him, doesn't need em and doesn't like the look. I on the other hand, am 5'-8" and my wife is 5'-1" imma need em with a rebel. hahaha

jerbear

Reaction score
Here's my 2021 Midnight Edition Rebel. Mine are Nfab. I have a 6 inch lift on the truck sitting on 35 Nittos.

Attachments

• 20220103_150419.jpg
    20220103_150419.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 279

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I'm another person who didn't want side steps but with a wife and 3 kids it wasn't really an option. I thought hard about installing the Amp Research powered steps but was worried about all the salt and crap on the roads here destroying the little motors. Ended up with powder coated Go Rhino RB20's and I think they look good and function well. This is only my 2nd winter with the truck and so far there's no damage to the coating.

20200912_181137.jpg

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my 2021 Midnight Edition Rebel. Mine are Nfab. I have a 6 inch lift on the truck sitting on 35 Nittos.
Looks mean! I like that about this style of step. do you ever open the door and get out w/o looking and miss one cuz its not just the whole bar length? That might sound stupid haha but i've never even been in a truck with this type, so idk.
I'm another person who didn't want side steps but with a wife and 3 kids it wasn't really an option. I thought hard about installing the Amp Research powered steps but was worried about all the salt and crap on the roads here destroying the little motors. Ended up with powder coated Go Rhino RB20's and I think they look good and function well. This is only my 2nd winter with the truck and so far there's no damage to the coating.

View attachment 115751
I hear ya. and every step i've ever had that's power coated ends up flakin off around the 3 year mark or so. maybe that's as long as i should expect it to last, and i too have to deal with all that salt/chemical deicer winter joy, and i know it doesn't help... so i guess i sorta accept that about them at this point.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not bad. I actually like tyger’s rider steps. Not too pricey either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
do you ever open the door and get out w/o looking and miss one cuz its not just the whole bar length? That might sound stupid haha but i've never even been in a truck with this type, so idk.

I have that exact step on my truck, and while I prefer the look of it, the functionality sucks. Getting in is no problem, but getting out I have to face the front of the truck, use the grab handle, and slide out sideways to get my foot on the rail. I can't turn to the side and just go like on every other truck I've owned. For 20+ years I had the full length step, and I imagine I'll be back to it before long.

O.G.B.

Reaction score
Went with these, very happy for 6 months no issues.
OGB

Attachments

• 50AF4335-CD02-4F7D-98B0-DC35221F4C1F.jpeg
    50AF4335-CD02-4F7D-98B0-DC35221F4C1F.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 197

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have that exact step on my truck, and while I prefer the look of it, the functionality sucks. Getting in is no problem, but getting out I have to face the front of the truck, use the grab handle, and slide out sideways to get my foot on the rail. I can't turn to the side and just go like on every other truck I've owned. For 20+ years I had the full length step, and I imagine I'll be back to it before long.

Yeah that’s kinda what I’m worried about. I don’t wanna drop $400+ on steps I’m gonna hate for a reason like that. But they do look nice.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love my stainless Westin HDX Drop Steps.

See I love the look of those, especially the two-tone. But again I’m worried I’m gonna hate them because I know how I get in/out of my trucks. And they don’t seem to agree with that. Plus (and idk if this is unrealistic or not but) if you crank your shin into ones of those in the summer…. Yowza. And I’ve done on regular bars that aren’t sharp like that.

jerbear

Reaction score
Looks mean! I like that about this style of step. do you ever open the door and get out w/o looking and miss one cuz its not just the whole bar length? That might sound stupid haha but i've never even been in a truck with this type, so idk.

I hear ya. and every step i've ever had that's power coated ends up flakin off around the 3 year mark or so. maybe that's as long as i should expect it to last, and i too have to deal with all that salt/chemical deicer winter joy, and i know it doesn't help... so i guess i sorta accept that about them at this point.
I haven't had any issues missing the step on the way out. However, while we don't get much snow we do get ice and ice does build up on the step (there's no way around it whether its a step or board). I make sure I kick the ice off. I'm 6 foot tall and my size 11 1/2 boot doesn't have a problem getting a firm hold on the step. They have a good grip too. My wife is 5'7" and doesn't have a problem pulling hersulf up in the truck (even with the 6 inch lift). She loves my truck. My previous truck, also a Ram (it was 8 years old when I upgraded), had running boards that rattled... drove me bonkers! These Nfabs are very solid. I've only had the truck almost a year so it's too early to make a determination on the powder coating. Just at a year I don't see any flaking. I get lots of compliments on the truck, the tires and the steps.

jerbear

Reaction score

View attachment 115751
Good look! I have a 3 1/2 year old granddaughter who climbes in and out of my truck with just the Nfab side steps. She's like a little monkey though. Cute as a button but very tomboyish already! She likes riding in JerBear's big truck. She's my heart!

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues missing the step on the way out. However, while we don't get much snow we do get ice and ice does build up on the step (there's no way around it whether its a step or board). I make sure I kick the ice off. I'm 6 foot tall and my size 11 1/2 boot doesn't have a problem getting a firm hold on the step. They have a good grip too. My wife is 5'7" and doesn't have a problem pulling hersulf up in the truck (even with the 6 inch lift). She loves my truck. My previous truck, also a Ram (it was 8 years old when I upgraded), had running boards that rattled... drove me bonkers! These Nfabs are very solid. I've only had the truck almost a year so it's too early to make a determination on the powder coating. Just at a year I don't see any flaking. I get lots of compliments on the truck, the tires and the steps.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread