5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shouldn't they come pick me up?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership I bought my Built to Serve from, drove to my house, picked up my truck, and brought it back same day when they did the spray in bed liner. Dealership is 40 miles away. And they never charged me for the spray in bed liner
Thats going above and beyond, not all dealers will do that or even meet minimum basic standards. Based on what you mentioned and my experince, you do seem to get better taken care of if you go to the dealer you pruchase from. I can speak highly of the dealers i purchase my 4th gen and my BTS but 2 others not so much. The one closest to me always has higher asking prices on new vehicles and the service deparment always trys to rip you off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Understand that some people are either handicapped or disabled to the point where they can’t do much. We don’t know his situation. I get where he’s coming from. I always tell people it could be you that has to deal with that. Be lucky you don’t. Problem is, his hands are really tied at what the dealership is going to do versus what he can do.
We don't know his situation but we know the dealerships. It's a business and businesses run on money not charity. I had a client who has a saying, "I love charity and donating but I don't have the red cross tattooed on my chest". Having the expectation that you can part waters like Jessus because of your personal situation is not realistic. People don't get special treatment just because, thus my comment about buying a BMW which went over HSKR's head apparently (BMWs are luxury cars and you get additional perks for spending so much that you will not get buying a RAM or a Ford or a Chevy for that matter).
Thats going above and beyond, not all dealers will do that or even meet minimum basic standards.
+1

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We don't know his situation but we know the dealerships. It's a business and businesses run on money not charity. I had a client who has a saying, "I love charity and donating but I don't have the red cross tattooed on my chest". Having the expectation that you can part waters like Jessus because of your personal situation is not realistic. People don't get special treatment just because, thus my comment about buying a BMW which went over HSKR's head apparently (BMWs are luxury cars and you get additional perks for spending so much that you will not get buying a RAM or a Ford or a Chevy for that matter).

+1
It didn't go over my head, you were just being an a$$. Telling someone they should just buy another vehicle, because of a bad experience with a dealer, is not a viable solution.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Considering your average truck these days cost more than your average BMW 3 series, heck they are well within the mid-price point of a 5-series. I could see how people expect more when spending $60K or so for a RAM.

As mentioned though, the 24 mile distance is probably the issue here. That's quite a distance for most dealerships to drive someone. If that was my situation, I would have insisted on a rental, if they refused, I would have gone to a dealership closer to me.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering your average truck these days cost more than your average BMW 3 series, heck they are well within the mid-price point of a 5-series. I could see how people expect more when spending $60K or so for a RAM.

As mentioned though, the 24 mile distance is probably the issue here. That's quite a distance for most dealerships to drive someone. If that was my situation, I would have insisted on a rental, if they refused, I would have gone to a dealership closer to me.
Lol you beat me to it in regards to ram vs bmw cost this days. But to darksteel165 point for the most part if you are not a truck guy to the average person that might not even look at models and just the emblem. bmw equals status and perks and a truck is just a truck

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Lol you beat me to it in regards to ram vs bmw cost this days. But to darksteel165 point for the most part if you are not a truck guy to the average person that might not even look at models and just the emblem. bmw equals status and perks and a truck is just a truck

Very true on badge prestige.

However I've been noticing more recently, since anyone can lease anything these days, I get the feeling that a posh badge doesn't quite have that same influence it once had when people didn't have such easy access.

I will tell you, we have a pretty nice late model premium vehicle and it doesn't get the looks or comments like my bright red RAM does. I do think that a lot of people know how expensive modern trucks are these days, actually all vehicles now that the median price of a new vehicle is over $42,000.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

+1
Again, I agree somewhat, It is a business and not a charity but go work at the dealer for a bit, you will realize how much they bow down to customers and kiss their ***. I have worked at the dealer for 16 yrs. I see it every day. Customers get free **** all of the time. Dealers do it to avoid headache and get a good survey. At the same time, now days, dealers are offering free loaners, some still offer free shuttle rides, free coffee, some dealers have other amenities. They try and make your dealership experience enjoyable. Its expected these days because dealers have gone above and beyond to provide that level of service. Just like when you buy a car, some offer to bring the vehicle to you. It's what businesses do these days to make a customer experience enjoyable. I don't think him asking to be picked up is asking for special treatment just because he is in a wheelchair, most customers ask for the same thing, because dealers offer it. As others have said and I agree, the distance I believe is the issue. As far as BMW vs Ram, come on, every manufacture has their base model cheap vehicles and their expensive vehicles. The ram TRX costs more than several BMW vehicles. I would consider the Limited and TRX luxury vehicles as far as trucks are concerned. I do agree though, just because you buy a BMW or Ram and spend 100K, doesn't make you any more important than someone who buys a big horn at 40K. All customers deserve the same treatment. Asking to be picked up though is not special treatment.

Gipraw

Reaction score
Based on OP’s signature, I doubt a rental or loaner is a viable option for them.

OP, do you have a friend or family member that you could Uber to the dealership to pick it up and bring it you, then you could run them home ?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Most places around here have a 10 mile radius. The private shop I use does this too.

I see a few comments about not knowing his situation. Sorry, but you could be laid up like Stephen Hawking and I don't think you deserve any more special treatment than anyone else. How are you getting around while your truck is being worked on? Go to the shop the same way.

I have never had a shop call me and say "Your car is ready sir. What would be a convenient time for us to deliver it to you?" It just makes sense to catch a ride there the old fashioned way, friend, spouse, relatives, bus or taxi.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It didn't go over my head, you were just being an a$$. Telling someone they should just buy another vehicle, because of a bad experience with a dealer, is not a viable solution.
Telling someone to buy another manufacturer that gives them additional perks similar to what they are looking for is a viable solution.
It has nothing to do with the price of a vehicle. BMW is a "luxury brand" and they give perks that regular brands don't. Same with Infinity. I do except more for my my $80k MSRP truck, but i'm treated no differently then if I bought a $30k truck but I understand why.

Different models don't give you different treatment, different manufactures do.

Again, I agree somewhat, It is a business and not a charity but go work at the dealer for a bit, you will realize how much they bow down to customers and kiss their ***. I have worked at the dealer for 16 yrs. I see it every day. Customers get free **** all of the time. I don't think him asking to be picked up is asking for special treatment just because he is in a wheelchair, most customers ask for the same thing, because dealers offer it. As far as BMW vs Ram, come on, every manufacture has their base model cheap vehicles and their expensive vehicles. The ram TRX costs more than several BMW vehicles. All customers deserve the same treatment. Asking to be picked up though is not special treatment.
See above. It's the brand not the price. You think people that buy a TRX get special treatment?

I see a few comments about not knowing his situation. Sorry, but you could be laid up like Stephen Hawking and I don't think you deserve any more special treatment than anyone else. How are you getting around while your truck is being worked on? Go to the shop the same way.

I have never had a shop call me and say "Your car is ready sir. What would be a convenient time for us to deliver it to you?" It just makes sense to catch a ride there the old fashioned way, friend, spouse, relatives, bus or taxi.
I lol'd at the end.

At this point the OP has a few options to choose from, people that are not the OP are making a bigger deal about this then OP and none of us can speak for the OP. It's unfortunate and sucks and it would be nice for the dealership to "do the nice thing" but it is what it is.
Personally I hope the dealership is able to assist them but it is a learning experience for the OP as they now know leaving a truck further away then they are able to get back to could cause problems. I bet if they contacted Ram directly (not the dealership) they could do a enterprise "pick me up" and get reimbursed if they explained the situation and it's out of the dealerships hands at that point.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the price of a vehicle. BMW is a "luxury brand" and they give perks that regular brands don't. Same with Infinity. I do except more for my my $80k MSRP truck, but i'm treated no differently then if I bought a $30k truck but I understand why.

I guess that's determined by the dealership, but I've owned 3 new BMWs over the years and I didn't recall anything special in terms of perks of service over any other dealership, well except for RAM which is a really low bar on it's own.

My Fords, Toyotas were similar in service/perks to our BMWs, Mercedes & Lexus. In fact, I think our Toyota dealer has been the best overall service so far.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Telling someone to buy another manufacturer that gives them additional perks similar to what they are looking for is a viable solution.
Have you owned a BMW? Or any "luxury" brand? I personally haven't to be able to speak of any "perks". I know people who have, and depending on the dealership, really weren't treated any different than most non-luxury brands, once the sale was completed. At least around here. Most dealers off some form of loaner vehicle option. The one CDJR dealer has a "loaner" fleet, but it's just Enterprise rentals that the dealership controls and slaps their logo on. You have to fill out rental paperwork and everything.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry the OP is having difficulty and can understand the frustration. However I have never had pickup/delivery/pickup service.

I think in many cases, it comes down to the service advisor. I had a Lexus IS250c that the battery crapped out under warranty. I was on the phone discussing how/when I could get to the dealership (25-30 miles). He knew my address and said "wait a minute my in-laws aren't far from you and I going there tonight. I'll just bring you a battery AND install it at your house" Just lucked up on a good one!! I suspect I will not get the same from RAM but that is ok in my situation.

Best of luck to the OP.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you owned a BMW? Or any "luxury" brand? I personally haven't to be able to speak of any "perks". I know people who have, and depending on the dealership, really weren't treated any different than most non-luxury brands, once the sale was completed. At least around here. Most dealers off some form of loaner vehicle option. The one CDJR dealer has a "loaner" fleet, but it's just Enterprise rentals that the dealership controls and slaps their logo on. You have to fill out rental paperwork and everything.
Yes I have.
I owned an Infinity G35x and have been at the dealership a few times with it, it wasn't purchased new, but I believe it's sticker price was 75k.
They damn near treated me like royalty there, is was actually kind of weird. A lot of their customers were older men and women (70+).

One time I was there getting control arms looked at, it needed lower control arms if I recall (but I could re-use the bushing or whatever it was) and I had a quote for around $1500 from them and I said there was no way I was going to pay that and I would just do it myself as I could get the parts way cheaper not using OEM.
They grabbed the tech that was working on my car and took me in back and lifted my car and showed me exactly what needed to be done and gave me some tips and pointers for doing it myself know for a fact I wasn't going to pay them a penny.

Other dealerships wouldn't even let you in back let alone actually give you tips or pointers for quirks of your car especially after saying you aren't spending any money.

I have a few friends who are essentially meatheads and own or lease BMWs and they can't even tell me how many liters their engine is or what kind of oil it might use and they get very similar treatment at their dealerships.

I can't say for sure why the luxury brand dealerships around here give exponentiation better services and perks, maybe better kickbacks from the manufacturer but around me it's night and day when it comes to "regular dealerships" and "luxury"-

I don't think the value is there for the luxury brands anyways regardless of perks, I do my best to stay OUT of the dealership unless I am buying a new car also.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I have.
I owned an Infinity G35x and have been at the dealership a few times with it, it wasn't purchased new, but I believe it's sticker price was 75k.
They damn near treated me like royalty there, is was actually kind of weird. A lot of their customers were older men and women (70+).

One time I was there getting control arms looked at, it needed lower control arms if I recall (but I could re-use the bushing or whatever it was) and I had a quote for around $1500 from them and I said there was no way I was going to pay that and I would just do it myself as I could get the parts way cheaper not using OEM.
They grabbed the tech that was working on my car and took me in back and lifted my car and showed me exactly what needed to be done and gave me some tips and pointers for doing it myself know for a fact I wasn't going to pay them a penny.

Other dealerships wouldn't even let you in back let alone actually give you tips or pointers for quirks of your car especially after saying you aren't spending any money.

I have a few friends who are essentially meatheads and own or lease BMWs and they can't even tell me how many liters their engine is or what kind of oil it might use and they get very similar treatment at their dealerships.

I can't say for sure why the luxury brand dealerships around here give exponentiation better services and perks, maybe better kickbacks from the manufacturer but around me it's night and day when it comes to "regular dealerships" and "luxury"-

I don't think the value is there for the luxury brands anyways regardless of perks, I do my best to stay OUT of the dealership unless I am buying a new car also.
Most dealers don't let customers in the service area due to liability reasons. Their insurance carrier wouldn't like that. Sounds more like a good individual dealership, or service writer rather than a brand thing. I know a few techs at local dealerships that would do the same for me if I asked, but that's because I know them. In general letting customers in service area is very frowned upon. And that's almost every repair shop, not just dealers.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If OP called and told them he was disabled and needed transport I don't see why they wouldn't accommodate him. But heck my trick when I used to travel to avoid expensive taxis was to call enterprise/national and have them pick you up at the hotel after taking a shuttle offsite. Paying $20 for a car rental for a day was a heck of a lot cheaper than taking a cab/lyft/uber if you were not in a hurry and it was during regular business hours, at least precovid.

I've also had no problem at any service place being able to go back with a tech to look at something with the car on a lift. It's not unheard of or uncommon. Anyone not willing to show you something is scamming you. Heck even a few will do shady crap like squirt oil on something and try to show you that.

Most of my local dealers here ( in a small town, but fairly wealthy ) all have in house loaner fleets, and if they are out will send you to enterprise, budget or avis or whomever ( really there's only like 3 rental places, all of them share cars and programs ) and endorse you. Chevy, Mazda, Honda, CDJR, Cadillac and Ford.

Dewey

Reaction score
If I lived more than 5 miles from the dealership I wouldn’t expect them to pick me up. I would however expect them to provide me with a loaner while my new truck was being serviced due to a major warranty issue. I’m guessing those days are gone as well now. Been probably 25 years since I had something that couldn’t be fixed in a few hours while I waited so thankfully haven’t had to deal with this.

RamCares

Reaction score
Call and ask again and mention that you sure hope you get a survey. Maybe @RamCares can see to it that they mail you a survey.
Thanks for the tag! We'd love to see how we can help with this. Please send us a direct message so we can collect more information.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread