5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should you engage 4WD periodically?

CSPCRX

Reaction score
On my Tacoma it was advised, per owners manual, to engage 4WD high at leased 10 miles per month.

looked through the owners manual of my 2024 1500 Limited and I only found how to use. Anyone aware of a similar recommended practice by RAM?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i am not a tech for ram nor have any credible info to post to this but ive seen many people talk about engaging it periodically and i do on my rig

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’ve yet to come across anything in the owners manual suggesting this.
That being said.. I put it in 4WD auto when it’s raining and…a time or two, it’s engaged…

I think it’s safe to say, if it’s not in the owners manual, it’s not needed.
But that doesn’t mean others aren’t going to do just what they’ve always done…from their own routines to their own maintenance schedule, no matter what the manual says.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would say it's a good idea to. I ha e seen multiple threads from people who never switched it, then two years later they tried to engage 4wd and it wouldn't shift.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With vehicles, I'm stuck on old habits that may or may not still matter. I turn the A/C off 15-30 seconds before my destination. If I have a turbo, I let the car/truck idle for 15-60 seconds before turning off. And, I try to engage 4WD and 4LO (on the proper surface) every so often just to keep it used.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a friend that used to have a nissan titan, his front axle failed (seized up) and nissan told him it was from not engaging 4x4 frequently enough to lubricate the front drive axle/components

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea to me, as I often do this but not on any regular schedule. I try only to do this on grass, dirt or gravel.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is a good idea to take your truck places 4wd can be used and enjoyed.

They enjoy being used as intended! And like to get away from society from time to time!
View attachment 187260
Exactly. Mine gets used weekly so I know 4HI and 4LO work perfectly fine. Also periodically engage my electronic locking rear axle when off pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread