5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The Rebel Be My Next Vehilce

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, this forum is WAY more responsive than ramrebel.org I was on earlier. Let's see if I can address some of you guys. thanks for all the responses!

That makes total sense, as I will not be using the truck to its "fullest" but honestly I really love the look of the Rebel package. I think it's important that if I'm spending upwards of 50k on a truck, it excites me when I look at it. I know that might not be a common sentiment in the truck world as usually function is over form... but I really love the look. To me the Rebel looks sporty enough while still retaining the muscular nature and capabilities of an off road truck. Typing it out is sounds pretty stupid, but I just like the way it looks. *shrugs*

I'll be hauling metal, but most of my welding work is furniture related and I haven't needed that long of material... yet. if that day comes I could always rig up some sort of bed extender (would be a fun welding project to make actually). I need a crew cab as this will be a family vehicle as well and I really would rather not sacrifice space.

Thanks everyone for the input, the more I look into the Tacoma the less enthused I am and realize how outdated it is. I'll be sure to keep the forum posted on my decision. I love the Laramie sport package especially the wheels, but there's something about the Mustache grille...

I'm talking with a local dealer on locking in employee pricing even if I factory order (fingers crossed)! there aren't many trucks with ramboxes and MFT without air suspension, without eTorque.... etc
I had the same sentiment as you with the great look of the Rebel as compared to the other models. I myself do not go crazy off-road, if you get the Laramie you get nice wheels but unless you change the tires don’t plan on going on many gravel roads with those 4 ply tires.
I decided on the ecodiesel and so far have been very impressed with the performance and the fuel efficiency compared to my older 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi.
The Ram boxes are my best convenience and are not offered in any other brand of trucks

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I currently own the performance spec of the ford focus (Focus RS), but I don't race or do track days... I guess it's just in my nature
That’s a little different imho. Speed and handling you can use vs off-road stuff and being a mall crawler is diff.
The gas mileage is probably gonna hit you a lot harder than you think.
If you are getting 17mpg in your RS, plan on like 13 in your Ram. Lol

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a little different imho. Speed and handling you can use vs off-road stuff and being a mall crawler is diff.
The gas mileage is probably gonna hit you a lot harder than you think.
If you are getting 17mpg in your RS, plan on like 13 in your Ram. Lol
I'm getting the poor mileage in my focus due to the tune and not so much driving habits. maybe the off-road goodies will help me in the snow. like I said I would like to do the occasional off-road/camping trips with the family.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I'm getting the poor mileage in my focus due to the tune and not so much driving habits. maybe the off-road goodies will help me in the snow. like I said I would like to do the occasional off-road/camping trips with the family.
Its not due to the tune unless you have a terrible tuner. Turbo vehicles are usually a tad richer from the factory under open loop. The power usually comes from leaning it out a tad. Pretty much all tuners will be leaning out fuel maps a decent bit in open loop mode
Closed loop operation is stoich regardless of tune unless a tuner shuts off the o2 feedback for some reason to bypass typical closed loop correction, (not common on vehicles in the last 20 yrs or so), so there will be NO gas mileage change in closed loop (ie: normal part throttle driving) as the o2's compensate a small percentage to keep the car stoich for gas mileage and drivability
You are getting worse gas mileage likely because of your right foot. I own several turbo and blown vehicles, I know its not easy to stay out of it. I drove my GT500 across country and got like 18mpg in the cold because I didnt hit boost at all. Since I have had the car home, I can say I have never seen over 11mpg with the car. lol.

For offroad goodies, it may be a hit or miss with snow as well. I think the tires from the factory are not soo aggressive that they will work well, but talking to people with extreme offroad tires, typically they say traction is significantly worse in the snow as usually they are more designed for mud and dirt type surfaces. Knobbier tires are louder too.

Not trying to detract you from what you want, but being a person I like to always look at all the angles before spending big money, I just wanted to remind that offroad packages can be a little bit of a bear to deal with if you do not plan to utilize those functions.
Going from a hot hatch to a truck all in itself will be a major life adjustment, let alone to an offroad package truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boy. Turbo sure does bring out the debate.

Maybe we should ban turbo talk till the twin turbo super six gets here. Which I noticed has nit been discussed lately.

The rebel is the only way to get the look.

The rebel goodies are available on every trim.

The big compromise with the Rebel was the transfer case. Now I see you can get the 4wd auto as an option.

As mentioned a Laramie Sport with ORG is an awesome package.

Get the RAM. Decide between the Laramie and Rebel.

You will drive yourself crazy when you ask these open opinion questions. Sometimes you are better off to ask for specific differences than an opinion of what someone likes.

Early on the Rebel had many down falls. No 360 view. No power fold tow mirrors. No heated tow mirrors. None of the fancy seat options. No 4wd auto.

But with the 2021 model year that has been fixed on the Rebel

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

Maybe we should ban turbo talk till the twin turbo super six gets here. Which I noticed has nit been discussed lately.

The big compromise with the Rebel was the transfer case. Now I see you can get the 4wd auto as an option.

You will drive yourself crazy when you ask these open opinion questions. Sometimes you are better off to ask for specific differences than an opinion of what someone likes.

Early on the Rebel had many down falls. No 360 view. No power fold tow mirrors. No heated tow mirrors. None of the fancy seat options. No 4wd auto.

Did someone mention turbos?!?!?!

1609005732953.jpeg

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I totally understand getting the Rebel for the looks ( that’s why I got mine ) . This is my third Ram and I haven’t had an issue with any of them . I would recommend the Ram boxes ( I wish I had them ) .

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Dothe bighorn rear seats recline or are they same as rebel? I noticed the rear seats in the Laramie and limited feel a lot less like a “bench” seat (even though they all are) than the rebel I drove.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dothe bighorn rear seats recline or are they same as rebel? I noticed the rear seats in the Laramie and limited feel a lot less like a “bench” seat (even though they all are) than the rebel I drove.
We like to call the backseat “the living room” in our Longhorn.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was one of the things I was hinting at about the seats.

The problem is there at so many level packages I wasnt completely sure the Rebel still lacked rhe rear seat recline.

Yeah. It used to be that Tradesman Bighorn and Rebel do not recline.

The Laramie Longhorn and Limited do.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

Agreed, when I looked the Rebel was the same exact truck as Laramie, just with off-road goodies

I have a lot of experience with boosted vehicles. A lot of falicies go on about turbos and super chargers I noticed, so I like to clear the air when it happens.
If Ram offered a TT 6cyl, I would have jumped on it without question. Even better if it was a TT 8 cyl *drool*

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently considered the same, Laramie or Rebel? I personally like the ride of a sports car or like my old Chevy Z71 with a stiffer suspension. So, if I bought a Laramie, the price was about the same as the Rebel, but then I would want to put a small lift on it, bigger tires and Bilstein shocks. The Rebel already has this for the same money and it's sportier looking too. I didn't want the luxury model as much as the sport.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently considered the same, Laramie or Rebel? I personally like the ride of a sports car or like my old Chevy Z71 with a stiffer suspension. So, if I bought a Laramie, the price was about the same as the Rebel, but then I would want to put a small lift on it, bigger tires and Bilstein shocks. The Rebel already has this for the same money and it's sportier looking too. I didn't want the luxury model as much as the sport.
Or...a Laramie with the ORG, if you want the feel but a different look.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
welp the sales manager texted me yesterday saying they could lock in employee pricing on a factory order. i was over the moon. today he calls me and tells me they can no longer do that... womp womp!

now the question, do i do a factory order and risk it hoping the truck gets delivered mid February during some nice deals?

Laramie6x6

Reaction score
welp the sales manager texted me yesterday saying they could lock in employee pricing on a factory order. i was over the moon. today he calls me and tells me they can no longer do that... womp womp!

now the question, do i do a factory order and risk it hoping the truck gets delivered mid February during some nice deals?

Quote Mark Dodge with Aaron, he does employee pricing on factory orders and can ship to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quote Mark Dodge with Aaron, he does employee pricing on factory orders and can ship to you.

wow thanks a bunch! I just emailed them. unfortunately I am more than 250 miles away so delivery would not be free, but i'm curious as to what they're offering.

Thanks again!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
wow thanks a bunch! I just emailed them. unfortunately I am more than 250 miles away so delivery would not be free, but i'm curious as to what they're offering.

Thanks again!
Where are you located?

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've been in contact with Aaron they are super helpful. he said he cannot lock in employee pricing, but they are willing to go below employee pricing on a factory order... now the issue is me being 1000 miles away :-/

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I've been in contact with Aaron they are super helpful. he said he cannot lock in employee pricing, but they are willing to go below employee pricing on a factory order... now the issue is me being 1000 miles away :-/
Take a road trip!
I’ve done it already. I flew from Pa to Il for my Gt500 and drove it back.
I was willing to go ever further for the right deal.

Users who are viewing this thread