5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The Rebel Be My Next Vehilce

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for my FIRST pickup. Up until a few days ago I was pretty set on a manual Tacoma (TRD Off-Road or TRD Pro). I don't work in construction, but I like the idea of having a truck to haul large bulky items for projects/home improvement. I am a TIG welder (hobby) and ordering metal online is NO fun ($$$). I really feel like I could benefit from a truck for it's increased utility. I've been the owner of a few hot hatches in the past. 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, 2012 Mazdaspeed 3, and currently I own a 2017 Ford Focus RS. I LOVE this car... but I I've always been tempted to pull the trigger on a truck.
I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago, so off-road prowess is not the top of my list. Road trips to the occasional off road/ car camping site are on the to-do list though. also, I'd like to haul/carry mine and the wife's motorbikes in the bed if possible.

Like I said I have been eyeing the Taco, but recently I started diving deeper into the Ram rabbit hole. I initially shyed away because everyone I talk to about trucks always rags on Dodge/Ram and says to avoid at all cost.

I know I am asking a potentially biased crowd, but why the bad rap? Has Ram turned around the issues that have plagued them, if any?

Anyways just thought I'd introduce myself as I'll be lurking around for a while.

Thanks!

Vinnie

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have owned many trucks during my lifetime, I consider myself a Ford guy generally, several generations of F150, had Tacoma in the past and just bought a new Toyota C-HR for a family member. Currently have a RAM Rebel and a couple of BMW sedans, so I can give you some honest opinions on this.

The current RAM is without a doubt the best overall truck on the road, for pretty much all metrics except mpg. Now, the all new F150 may just nudge past the RAM, especially the hybrid version, but it's just coming out, though the reviews have been good. But getting a RAM would be a good choice regardless if you want a full size truck.

The current Tacoma is a dinosaur, a good one, but still very dated. Resale is great, but so is everything else that is a truck and Wrangler. You really can't go wrong with any of these vehicles to be honest, it's just whatever suits your wants. Just note that the Rebel comes with 33" tires and a 3.92 axle, so mpg won't come close to matching the window sticker. Expect around 13 - 15 mpg mixed.

As for quality, it's just as good as anything within it's price range, better in many circumstances. The one negative is the dealer network, which is overworked. FCA has been on a record run of vehicles sales they probably weren't expecting, so they are slammed. If you have an issue, you may not have the best dealership experience.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get the Rebel

I have owned RAM and Dodge trucks my whole life. I have never had any if these terrible trucks the internet talks about. Guess I am lucky.

We currently own 3 MOPAR trucks 99, 03, And 15

The RAM BRAND has made the trucks spectacular

Join us. You will be glad you did.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
My suggestion is, if you don’t off-road, do not spring for a more off-road package.
Just my humble opinion.

That being said, the Ram in general is a much nicer truck that Toyota. Toyota is decades behind the times. I was dead set on getting a Tacoma in like 17/18 era, but the power was terrible, as was gas mileage and they just really weren’t all that nice to be honest.
Toyota is and always will be my absolute last option for a truck..... well maybe Chevy is the last, but Toyota is right before that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for my FIRST pickup. Up until a few days ago I was pretty set on a manual Tacoma (TRD Off-Road or TRD Pro). I don't work in construction, but I like the idea of having a truck to haul large bulky items for projects/home improvement. I am a TIG welder (hobby) and ordering metal online is NO fun ($$$). I really feel like I could benefit from a truck for it's increased utility. I've been the owner of a few hot hatches in the past. 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, 2012 Mazdaspeed 3, and currently I own a 2017 Ford Focus RS. I LOVE this car... but I I've always been tempted to pull the trigger on a truck.
I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago, so off-road prowess is not the top of my list. Road trips to the occasional off road/ car camping site are on the to-do list though. also, I'd like to haul/carry mine and the wife's motorbikes in the bed if possible.

Like I said I have been eyeing the Taco, but recently I started diving deeper into the Ram rabbit hole. I initially shyed away because everyone I talk to about trucks always rags on Dodge/Ram and says to avoid at all cost.

I know I am asking a potentially biased crowd, but why the bad rap? Has Ram turned around the issues that have plagued them, if any?

Anyways just thought I'd introduce myself as I'll be lurking around for a while.

Thanks!

Vinnie
I love the look of a Tacoma...they’re just too small to be comfortable for family trips or practical for 4x8 loads. You really need to test-drive both!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to be hauling metal. You may want to get that Rebel in a quad cab so you can get the 6'4 bed and some more payload.

Or if you need the crew cab. Get a different trim for a 6'4 Bed

Either way get the RAM

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I don’t see an argument for a rebel fully, i would assume get a bighorn with ORG and some small goodies and save like 6/7k over a rebel.

I just couldn’t get the appeal of the smaller trucks, they feel like sitting in a car with extra ground clearance, without the added interior space or too much extra bed space.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Ram has the upper hand the truck market currently, I'm not really brand loyal but this is my second Ram and I have not had any major issues with either of them. The Tacoma like all the other small trucks is just to cramped for me on the inside to be comfortable.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, this forum is WAY more responsive than ramrebel.org I was on earlier. Let's see if I can address some of you guys. thanks for all the responses!
My suggestion is, if you don’t off-road, do not spring for a more off-road package.
Just my humble opinion.

That being said, the Ram in general is a much nicer truck that Toyota. Toyota is decades behind the times. I was dead set on getting a Tacoma in like 17/18 era, but the power was terrible, as was gas mileage and they just really weren’t all that nice to be honest.
Toyota is and always will be my absolute last option for a truck..... well maybe Chevy is the last, but Toyota is right before that.
That makes total sense, as I will not be using the truck to its "fullest" but honestly I really love the look of the Rebel package. I think it's important that if I'm spending upwards of 50k on a truck, it excites me when I look at it. I know that might not be a common sentiment in the truck world as usually function is over form... but I really love the look. To me the Rebel looks sporty enough while still retaining the muscular nature and capabilities of an off road truck. Typing it out is sounds pretty stupid, but I just like the way it looks. *shrugs*
If you are going to be hauling metal. You may want to get that Rebel in a quad cab so you can get the 6'4 bed and some more payload.

Or if you need the crew cab. Get a different trim for a 6'4 Bed

Either way get the RAM
I'll be hauling metal, but most of my welding work is furniture related and I haven't needed that long of material... yet. if that day comes I could always rig up some sort of bed extender (would be a fun welding project to make actually). I need a crew cab as this will be a family vehicle as well and I really would rather not sacrifice space.

Thanks everyone for the input, the more I look into the Tacoma the less enthused I am and realize how outdated it is. I'll be sure to keep the forum posted on my decision. I love the Laramie sport package especially the wheels, but there's something about the Mustache grille...

I'm talking with a local dealer on locking in employee pricing even if I factory order (fingers crossed)! there aren't many trucks with ramboxes and MFT without air suspension, without eTorque.... etc

PM-Performance

Reaction score
@Vinnie. , my point of that post is just think about what you will use it for.
Off-road parts of you aren’t planning on off-roading can potentially turn you
Off of the truck in time.
The Laramie has all the same stuff pretty much minus the off road stuff and the grille .
If you love the look though, enjoy the Rebel. Just my suggestion to think it through and noise and ride comfort will change with an off-road package

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Vinnie. , my point of that post is just think about what you will use it for.
Off-road parts of you aren’t planning on off-roading can potentially turn you
Off of the truck in time.
The Laramie has all the same stuff pretty much minus the off road stuff and the grille .
If you love the look though, enjoy the Rebel. Just my suggestion to think it through and noise and ride comfort will change with an off-road package
oh I hear ya and I appreciate the advice. I should probably test drive a rebel and a Laramie for comparison. I do love the Laramie Sport package. I think something might be off with the configurator, but every time I add the sport package to the Laramie it removes the 5.7L? is that real?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The same with my post. I just wanted to be sure you understood the Rebel Crew Cab only comes with 5'7 bed. But that you could get a 6'4 with the quad Rebel or any other trims Crew.

No other trim is going to give you the Rebel look. But every other trim can have the Rebel equipment.

I wasnt sure which you wanted more the look or the capability.

It is now obvious you are going for the look.

So I double down on my vote. Get the Rebel.

I also think RamBox and MFT is an awesome cargo management system. That said, it also can only be had on 5'7 bed, another plus of thr Rebel.

Good luck in your search. Just go order that truck and get exactly what you want.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
oh I hear ya and I appreciate the advice. I should probably test drive a rebel and a Laramie for comparison. I do love the Laramie Sport package. I think something might be off with the configurator, but every time I add the sport package to the Laramie it removes the 5.7L? is that real?

I had issues with the online configurator few months back. Id address with a specific dealer. Is it removing the 5.7l and forcing e torque 5.7l or is it forcing the 3.6l? Either way, id have a ball park what you want to make and tell the dealer to assist with order.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had issues with the online configurator few months back. Id address with a specific dealer. Is it removing the 5.7l and forcing e torque 5.7l or is it forcing the 3.6l? Either way, id have a ball park what you want to make and tell the dealer to assist with order.
it's forcing the 3.6L I know it's messed up I see plenty of Laramie sports with the 5.7

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Nope, I have a Laramie sport with etq. The configurator is likely glitching

Last edited:

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always thought of a Rebel as an offroad Laramie. If your not going to take the Rebel offroad there is no point in getting one
I currently own the performance spec of the ford focus (Focus RS), but I don't race or do track days... I guess it's just in my nature

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I currently own the performance spec of the ford focus (Focus RS), but I don't race or do track days... I guess it's just in my nature
Got rid of my stage 1 17 Golf R for my limited. These hot hatches are amazing daily drivers! If i wasnt looking for land I would have bought an RS3.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got rid of my stage 1 17 Golf R for my limited. These hot hatches are amazing daily drivers! If i wasnt looking for land I would have bought an RS3.
yeah the hot hatches are awesome. I've got your typical bolt ons and a pretty aggressive tune. I was setting up for E40 tune (E85 93 blend) but I'm wanting some more utility. my focus RS only gets around 17mpg now so the switch to the Ram won't be too bad in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread