5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have gone with the 12" screen?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I only took a look today and realized it was an extra $2100 on top of all of my other options. I think I'll survive.

I'm actually surprised it's that much more considering I already opted for all of the major packages and I'm already getting carplay/AA + Nav, I figured it would only be a $500, maybe $1000 upgrade from where I'm already at.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
No regrets getting the 12" yet. If nothing else it just makes the whole center stack look sleek and modern. There are just the right selection of physical knobs and button controls for me. Even with the steering wheel controls, most of the time I use the volume knob instead.
To me, the 8.4 looks like a generic double din aftermarket replacement unit.

jent

Reaction score
To me the 8.4" is the better option. The buttons are more accessible and the layout feels more natural to me. The screen is already distracting as it is. I feel I made the right choice

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get it, you wont regret it. TVs, monitors or screen in cars, I have never heard anyone say i should have gotten the smaller one.. Also, with the size of the dash in the ram, the 12" looks proportional. The 8" will look more and more dated as screens get larger every year. So if resale is a concern, get the 12"
I literally said I'd rather have the smaller screen in my post from page 1. :ROFLMAO:

Deciding on options based on resale makes no sense to me. You always pay more for the option up front than you'll get back when you sell/trade in the truck. It might make it more desirable, but you're not likely to get the original $2095 the 12 inch screen costs back, much less make money on it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another reason gotta think that the 12” would age better by the time its paid off and/or it’s time to get a new truck. The 8.4 has been out for awhile now. The 12” doesn’t look out of place like some other manufacturers are doing and sure doesn’t seem like an after thought. It’s no less of a distraction then a cell phone, if you get easily distracted well that’s something you need to be able to figure out on your own lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
My buddy had complained about the brightness of his wife's Laramie with 12", and I'm pretty sensitive to light, but with auto dim and auto theme set it's great.
Oh man…. Of course (right?) I had seen those 2 ”roller switches” right next to the headlight switch when I bought the truck over 3 years ago. Always thought that was to adjust the headlights and I never messed with them to avoid blinding opposite traffic.
Just last month I found out what they were really for and it’s a blessing for sure when driving at night….

Usmc041127

Reaction score
I have the 12 in mine. After having it and use to the 8.4 I wish I had the 8.4. Its simpler to navigate. Also I am aggravated that the weather app doesn't work and they haven't been able to figure out why.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And for those who are saying the 12" radio is a $2000 option, you're over estimating a bit. If you get the 8.4" with nav on a Level 2 Big Horn it will cost you $795. Getting the 12" with nav on the same truck will cost $2095. Yes it's a 2K option, but that's a difference of $1,300 over the 8.4 radio. It's not a fair comparison to price the non-nav 8.4 against the 12 nav radio. You're getting more than just the bigger screen so of course it cost more.
That said, $1,300 is a pretty hefty price for a bigger screen and LED footwell lighting, but it's not a $2000 difference. Obviously that extra expense isn't worth it to everyone, which is why they make things like this optional.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As noted, it was "only" $1300 more for me because I would have gotten the navigation on the 8.4 too. Although even that is pretty steep. I would have gotten the 8.4 if my wife hadn't liked this truck better (it was more than just the radio different).

If I was buying a truck without navigation on the 8.4 and the only incentive to get the 12" was the screen size, no I wouldn't do it either. I agree that $2,095 is too much if the screen size is all you're after.

Usmc041127

Reaction score
That's not a 12" radio issue, that's exclusive to your unit. My weather app works just fine.
I have had it to the dealer twice now. They just say there is an update coming for it.

Gary1243

Reaction score
I'm still early in my order. I have a VIN, but not much else, I think I could change my order if I really wanted to.

I went with the Laramie Level 2 with the 8.4" NAV/Carplay screen. Personally that's all I need and I mostly stuck with it because I really don't want a big screen in my face when I'm driving the highway at night. It looks like the 12" screen is basically laid out like 2 of the 8" screens stacked.

Still, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on one of the nicer features of the 5th gen. Am I going to regret it?
I’ll I can tell you is I have 8 inch with no nav as that is what it was when I bought it . I have An iPhone but never had a vehicle with CarPlay Until this one. The CarPlay and the iPhone work seamlessly together and quite frankly google maps on carplay is much better than my wife’s cars navigation system. It is always up to date and rarely gives false info. But I kind of suspect whatever you go with will look amazing. After a year I still go get in my truck sometimes and just marvel at the interior and dash and just pinch myself!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really liked it when I was looking at trucks. It certainly has a wow factor.

When I built my truck to order I thought about the practical side for me.

1. How much will this cost if it breaks in the future and will a replacement be readily available?
2. I can be hard on a truck. Will I damage that big slab of a screen?
3. How much light will that throw out at night? If I turn it off, why have it?
4. I get tired and like to modify. It doesn't look like it will allow for an audio upgrade. At least not at my skill level.

I went with the 8.4 Alpine. It is a good stock system and the screen is ok.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
That's not a 12" radio issue, that's exclusive to your unit. My weather app works just fine.
No, it is not. It is an issue with many new 22s. It is a software issue, Ram Connect has a lot of open tickets for it. They pushed an update last week that did nothing, and the guy I talked to sounded so deflated when I told him it did nothing to fix the issue.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
And for those who are saying the 12" radio is a $2000 option, you're over estimating a bit. If you get the 8.4" with nav on a Level 2 Big Horn it will cost you $795. Getting the 12" with nav on the same truck will cost $2095. Yes it's a 2K option, but that's a difference of $1,300 over the 8.4 radio. It's not a fair comparison to price the non-nav 8.4 against the 12 nav radio. You're getting more than just the bigger screen so of course it cost more.
That said, $1,300 is a pretty hefty price for a bigger screen and LED footwell lighting, but it's not a $2000 difference. Obviously that extra expense isn't worth it to everyone, which is why they make things like this optional.
No overestimating at all. When considering that the base screen being a zero cost adder, upgrading to the 12 inch screen is $2095 for most models. You're right that the cost difference between the 8.4 nav is $1395, and that's how much more it costs for your situation. But not everyone wants the 8.4 nav. Base screen in a Laramie is the 8.4 non-nav, and upgrading to the 12" screen costs $2095. The base screen in a Longhorn is the 8.4 nav, so upgrading to the 12 inch unit costs $1395. In my case, it didn't cost any extra since it comes standard on the Limited. But I'd have gladly taken the 8.4 non-nav unit if offered a $2095 credit.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate to add another point to this whole topic but you guys are factoring in the additional cost as if your paying MSRP for the truck which most of us don’t so can you really say it’s a $2k+ addition… yea on the window sticker but in reality it isn’t unless your paying MSRP. IMO anybody that’s seriously shopping should find trucks with both and try it out for themselves and decide.

The additional cost for me wasn’t an issue since In the past every vehicle I’ve owned I’ve always yanked the stock headunit out and upgraded to something better aftermarket. Once you start having to buy module this and module that and pay for quality your not far off from that $2k+ addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With everything else I got with the Southwest Edition, I might not have paid anything for the 12" screen.

Users who are viewing this thread