5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have gone with the 12" screen?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The air suspension would have been cool, but it sounds like a way more complicated system to lift or lower....
It was a pretty straight forward system and I did like the auto level feature. At the end of the day the price seemed a bit excessive since you can add aftermarket bags with auto level for under a grand.
For the autophiles out there, I suspect they have a similar mind set with the 12" v 8.4" radios. They'll probably replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket one, and probably for less money.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turn off or adjust the heated/ventilated seat level, turn on or off the heated steering wheel. There are no actual buttons for those, so it requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than if I just had a button to press. Maybe you don't ever do either of those, but some of us do.
Turning those on/off with the 12" is just one more step than the physical button. Yes, more of a distraction, but not a big deal. I normally turn those on before I start driving, but I have made adjustments while I'm driving.
you've never had to change any climate settings while driving?
I change the temperature with the up and down buttons along the side of the screen or use voice commands. It's no more or less of a distraction than spinning a knob.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are people really having trouble with the seat controls? It's at the best position on the screen...

ONeill88

Reaction score
I just moved from the 8.4 to the 12 in my new truck and I couldn’t be happier. It’s gorgeous and it’s to the already amazing look of interior of the truck.

As other have said the lack of some physical buttons isn’t the best but I’m already used to using the display for heated seats etc. I wouldn’t let that stop you from how great it is otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In terms of the heated/cooled seats, we use them a lot as well and have to adjust them on a somewhat regular basis from the settings they are on from remote starting. So for us, the best setup is to have our music on top (carplay) and the heated/cooled seats and wheel on the bottom. They are always just right there ready to adjust. And otherwise for the climate/defrost I almost never have to go to that screen, the physical buttons on the side suffice 99% of the time.

snowy.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think some people are able to use their peripheral vision better than others.
Haha...gotta love it when people feel the need for passive aggressive replies. It has nothing to do with peripheral vision. I never said I couldn't use the controls, just that I prefer to have actual buttons.

Edit: After reading Joe's post, it seems to be more of an issue with not knowing fully how to use it. I'll have to look into setting up a split screen. Thanks Joe!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha...gotta love it when people feel the need for passive aggressive replies. It has nothing to do with peripheral vision. I never said I couldn't use the controls, just that I prefer to have actual buttons.

Edit: After reading Joe's post, it seems to be more of an issue with not knowing fully how to use it. I'll have to look into setting up a split screen. Thanks Joe!

Glad to help Mike! The heated/cooled controls are in the climate section when you do the lower split screen, just have to swipe over to the second page once you select climate.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think you took my comment to heart more than I intended.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
And for those who are saying the 12" radio is a $2000 option, you're over estimating a bit. If you get the 8.4" with nav on a Level 2 Big Horn it will cost you $795. Getting the 12" with nav on the same truck will cost $2095. Yes it's a 2K option, but that's a difference of $1,300 over the 8.4 radio. It's not a fair comparison to price the non-nav 8.4 against the 12 nav radio. You're getting more than just the bigger screen so of course it cost more.
That said, $1,300 is a pretty hefty price for a bigger screen and LED footwell lighting, but it's not a $2000 difference. Obviously that extra expense isn't worth it to everyone, which is why they make things like this optional.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like the case, here.

I understand that I have basically every package selected. I understand that the Nav-8.4 is $800, making the 12" only $1300. But when I select the 12", it still adds $2100 to my total price.
1648466678237.png

I’ll I can tell you is I have 8 inch with no nav as that is what it was when I bought it . I have An iPhone but never had a vehicle with CarPlay Until this one. The CarPlay and the iPhone work seamlessly together and quite frankly google maps on carplay is much better than my wife’s cars navigation system. It is always up to date and rarely gives false info. But I kind of suspect whatever you go with will look amazing. After a year I still go get in my truck sometimes and just marvel at the interior and dash and just pinch myself!
What I do like about the 3 options is that I can run Waze on-screen, and that's all that really matters.

I really liked it when I was looking at trucks. It certainly has a wow factor.

When I built my truck to order I thought about the practical side for me.

1. How much will this cost if it breaks in the future and will a replacement be readily available?
2. I can be hard on a truck. Will I damage that big slab of a screen?
3. How much light will that throw out at night? If I turn it off, why have it?
4. I get tired and like to modify. It doesn't look like it will allow for an audio upgrade. At least not at my skill level.

I went with the 8.4 Alpine. It is a good stock system and the screen is ok.
I agree, I think it looks extremely clean and extremely nice. I'd say if it were under $1000 for the 'upgrade' (8.4+Nav), I would go for it.

As mentioned, I think Ram did a good job about relocating the physical buttons so you're not choosing between buttons or on-screen taps for most things.

Yep, very cluttered. That's 150% more knobs.

Busy...
View attachment 124394
Clean...
View attachment 124396
Continuing on from my last thought. I like how clean the 12" was made out to be, and most of the knobs were replaced with physical buttons, making the experience about as good. It's not like the VW ID4 where you're supposedly hunting through menus for simple things.

That said, I still like knobs and overall things that just exist without me needing to pay much mind. See Below

I think some people are able to use their peripheral vision better than others.
I think you're giving yourself too much credit. Sure, I can reach for knobs and buttons through my peripheral without taking my eyes off the road, but anything more than that, even pushing buttons for the heated seats do require your front-focus.

On-Screen menus have 3 major disadvantages
1. Muscle Memory doesn't really apply. Even if the button is in the same spot, we don't have an absolute coordinate system. We're either feeling for a starting point, or we're looking for a starting point.
2. There's nothing to rest your hand on, so your arm is often floating in space. In a moving vehicle, it makes it very hard to operate touch screens without constantly looking. I often miss buttons in Waze because my arm is bobbing up and down with every slight imperfection in the road.
3. Scrolling is still easier on a knob, especially if you're not paying full attention to that task. Like a volume knob, temperature knob, or tuning knob, once my hand is resting on it, I can continue to adjust without any attention to it.

In the end, I DON'T like giant tablet-in-your-face cars, but I think Ram did a fantastic job....to the point, I almost regret not opting for it. Still, I don't think it's worth the $2100.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I understand that I have basically every package selected. I understand that the Nav-8.4 is $800, making the 12" only $1300. But when I select the 12", it still adds $2100 to my total price.
It's because the 8.4" is included in Level 2 and you don't get money back for upgrading.
Still, I don't think it's worth the $2100.
It's definitely worth it. If you're going to pay $3.5k for black trim, not sure I'd skip the 12" screen over $2k.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are people really having trouble with the seat controls? It's at the best position on the screen...
Not to mention the "buttons" are quite large. You can press them without much focus at all after using them a time or two. Or at least I can. It only takes a glance, I don't have to stare at it.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
For the record, MD responded to my inquiry. I'm going to stick with the 8.4"

To correct, it is a $1300 upgrade, the website is wrong. It will remove a $800 option for a $2100 option.
1648476490650.png

I don't really have a strong desire to have the 12, aside from aesthetics. I don't really want to start the build over, nor do I want to pay a ton more for something I don't really think I'll use much over the 8.4 setup.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd leave it alone if I was in your shoes. I like the 12" radio but I wouldn't restart the build for it.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 124447

What I do like about the 3 options is that I can run Waze on-screen, and that's all that really matters.

I agree, I think it looks extremely clean and extremely nice. I'd say if it were under $1000 for the 'upgrade' (8.4+Nav), I would go for it.

As mentioned, I think Ram did a good job about relocating the physical buttons so you're not choosing between buttons or on-screen taps for most things.

Continuing on from my last thought. I like how clean the 12" was made out to be, and most of the knobs were replaced with physical buttons, making the experience about as good. It's not like the VW ID4 where you're supposedly hunting through menus for simple things.

That said, I still like knobs and overall things that just exist without me needing to pay much mind. See Below

I think you're giving yourself too much credit. Sure, I can reach for knobs and buttons through my peripheral without taking my eyes off the road, but anything more than that, even pushing buttons for the heated seats do require your front-focus.

On-Screen menus have 3 major disadvantages
1. Muscle Memory doesn't really apply. Even if the button is in the same spot, we don't have an absolute coordinate system. We're either feeling for a starting point, or we're looking for a starting point.
2. There's nothing to rest your hand on, so your arm is often floating in space. In a moving vehicle, it makes it very hard to operate touch screens without constantly looking. I often miss buttons in Waze because my arm is bobbing up and down with every slight imperfection in the road.
3. Scrolling is still easier on a knob, especially if you're not paying full attention to that task. Like a volume knob, temperature knob, or tuning knob, once my hand is resting on it, I can continue to adjust without any attention to it.

In the end, I DON'T like giant tablet-in-your-face cars, but I think Ram did a fantastic job....to the point, I almost regret not opting for it. Still, I don't think it's worth the $2100.
I'm probably assuming everyone else has my sick skills... But tbh I'm a cop so driving and typing on a computer are kind of second nature.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to help Mike! The heated/cooled controls are in the climate section when you do the lower split screen, just have to swipe over to the second page once you select climate.
Could always just set the heated seats and steering wheel buttons as standard buttons in bottom of screen. Instead of having to select a sub menu. I have drivers side heated seat on far left, then heated steering wheel next to that. Passenger side heated seat is in far right. No need to change menus it swip left or right. They are right there all the time

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
you've never had to change any climate settings while driving?
Nope, not at all. Select the "auto" setting and set the temp to 71 and I'm set year round. If it's nice enough to have windows open, I turn off climate control before I go anywhere, and open windows.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the 8.4" screen in my previous truck, and really liked it. My current truck has the 12" screen, and frankly, I'd rather have the 8.4". Most of the soft buttons on the screen have actual buttons as well. But the buttons for the seat heat/ventilation and steering wheel heat are only on the screen. I don't like having to change screens before I can adjust those things. I'm also concerned about having no control of them if the screen goes out, which is not unheard of with these. Don't get me wrong, I love how it looks. But I could do without it and not regret it.
You can set the "buttons" for heated seats/steering wheel to be in main screen without having to do anything else.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a single instance where my OEM navigator didn't have a road I was looking for. I should note that Ohio is pretty rural, and even the "big" cities in my area are a far cry from Memphis, so roads aren't added or eliminated very often. It's also worth noting that I used it to get me to just outside of Pittsburg to pick up my Rebel wheels/tires and it navigated that just fine. That concern may be specific to your area, or major metropolitan areas in general.

I've had OEM nav on all my Rams and Jeeps since 2014 and have had zero issues. In fact, like it so much, navigation is a must have item on my purchases. I pass on a truck once because it didn't have nav and the salesman tried explaining the "convenience" of Android Auto and Apple Car Play. He obviously ignored the fact that you have to have cell signal for those to work, and you have to have your phone with you, which has to have data. With OEM nav all you have to have is the antenna accessible to the gps satellite.
For the younger generations, AA/ACP may be the way to go. It's not for me though, I'll stick with my built in nav. Which btw you can update if your maps are out of date.
With your phone, you can "download" maps for your route so they are still available even without a cell signal. And there are plenty of rural roads in Nebraska that aren't on the factory Nav screen. It's actually rural areas where I have the most issues with maps not being updated when they change the course of highways to bypass towns, or add in another highway. Granted that happens from time to time with Google maps as well, but they are far quicker to update than the factory updates that are usually 5 years behind, if they even include your area in the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread