5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do it? Buying a 20 Ram 1500

camaro430sut

Reaction score
I'm a GM guy. I currently have a 15 GMC Sierra Denali. I was planning to buy a 20 GMC Sierra AT4. However. Im just not feeling the truck. Its antiquated compared to what Ford and Ram have to offer. I've negotiated a pretty good deal on a 20 Ram 1500 Laramie Night edition. Pano roof, 12.1, power running boards, Laramie level 2, HK stereo. My concerns are with all the issues I've been reading about, mainly surrounding the 12 inch radio.

I travel often, and I love that I can remote start my truck via the OnStar app when I step off the plane. OnStar charges for premium services but the basic start, lock/unlock is free. My understanding with Ram is that I'll have to pay a fee after the first year? Is that correct?

Basically, what I'm asking is is this 20 Ram going to cause me issues? I love my GMC, but the warranty is up in Feb and I'm trying to cash in on end of the year deals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sman301

Reaction score
Radio issues should really be an issue to prevent your purchase of a ram since it does most thing good except for the odd issues. I use android auto and everything just works.
The quality it there in the ride, interior and overall styling. Mechanics are excellent too. These are the main reason I traded my 2017 ram for this 2019. The 2017 was good but the 2019 is on another level. I was looking at the new chevys when I was shopping around but for the money ram seem better in most areas although I like the Chevy v8 better .

sman301 sman301 sman301

jfcody3962

Reaction score
I just bought mine two weeks ago. I already had the 12" screen lock up once. WIth that said however, the truck is very nice. I have the air suspension and the ride is incredible. Quiet, powerful, and that HEMI sound. The Ramboxes and MFT are very useful, and unique to Ram. I traded a 2017 Ford for this truck.

FishNitro

Reaction score
I am(was) a gm guy too. I had a 2014 Silverado and like you I dumped it the second the extended warranty was up. I had to because that truck was constantly broken and would have cost a fortune to keep it. I drove the 2019 and hated it.

I landed in a 2019 Ram limited. I have 16k on it now and i could not be happier with the truck. I have had zero issues with it, not a single trip to the dealer for anything. I have had zero issues with the radio. I use it with apple car play and I’m am totally pleased with it. I also love the air suspension and the way this truck tows.

Mine came with a year of the SiriusXM guardian service which is the equivalent of onstar. I will have to start paying for it too, I paid for onstar so no biggie....

Overall I have zero regrets with this truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

camaro430sut

Reaction score
I'm taking the truck I'm looking at for the day tomorrow. Guess that will be the deciding factor

Tonywhats

Reaction score
As far as the remote start, it's controlled by Sirius Guardian which I believe we all get a 5 year subscription to. After that I don't know what they charge.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the remote start, it's controlled by Sirius Guardian which I believe we all get a 5 year subscription to. After that I don't know what they charge.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Guardian was just a year. Traffic is five.

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
I really been thinking about switching from my 16 F-150. Might hold out for next year model though. Rams are so nice inside.

CKSlack

Reaction score
Picked up a 2020 ED Limited 12/16/19 and absolutely love it. The ride is unbelieveably smooth and quiet and the interior is stunning. Backseat will accomidate some very large individuals comfortably. I wouldn't mind riding back there on a cross country trip.
Haven't had any issues with the 12 screen but will keep an eye out.

Best of luck on your purchase

camaro430sut

Reaction score
It is about 25 bucks per month. A little pricey considering most of the basic features (Lock, unlock, start) are free with GM's Onstar
That's kind of a deal breaker for me. I use the app often and 25/mo is outrageous considering GM gives it to me free

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's kind of a deal breaker for me. I use the app often and 25/mo is outrageous considering GM gives it to me free

That seems odd to me considering we are talking about $40k+ trucks here. $25/mo us $300 a year. It's a rounding error over 5 years, much less monthly. Are you saying you wouldn't be willing to spend $1500 over 5 years to have a newer, nicer vehicle? If finances are that tight you are probably better off keeping what you have; it's always more expensive to change vehicles than to just drive the one you have into the ground.

As for comparison between the trucks, in my opinion there is none. I drove Nissan Titans for the last 15 years and the Ram was easily the nicest truck on the market when it was time for me to get something new - and it had the best pricing of anything I looked at. What I paid in inflation adjusted dollars for the Ram was what I paid for my 2004 Nissan Titan 15 years ago. I was easily several grand cheaper than the next closest deal, on what I think is the nicest full size truck going.

Regarding the head unit, there have been more reports on here with trouble with the 12" screens than the 8.4 screens. Overall I still suspect it's a small percentage but that's my experience over the last year here.

camaro430sut

Reaction score
Money is not an issue, the fact that every other manufacturer offers this service for free is.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score

The app doesn't work most of the time so you'd better go buy something else.

drstein

Reaction score
I shouldn't ask, but I have to. " you wouldn't be willing spend $1500 over 5 years to have a newer, nicer vehicle? " I agree my RAM is nice, but how will spending that give me a nicer, NEWER vehicle ?? Twenty five / mnth is absurd.

Toothninja

Reaction score
$25 month over 5 years=$1500... how much more are you going to spend on an inferior vehicle? Rams tend to be $3k-$5k cheaper than other full size trucks, and rams are nicer than any of them. Seems like you’d still be coming out ahead...just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread