5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do it? Buying a 20 Ram 1500

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that...I'll call BS on. Provide a video, showing your app working as fast as Onstar or Ford PASS for all to view. Even the dealers told me, presale, that this system was very slow.
Why the heck did you buy a Ram truck knowing in advance that it was not up to your standards?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Why the heck did you buy a Ram truck knowing in advance that it was not up to your standards?
I bought a truck...not an app to start or lock one. I can live without the app (and will once the freebie expires)

camaro430sut

Reaction score
Jeez, if I wanted keyboard cowboys I'd have asked this question on facebook. Can we not turn this thread into a pissing contest

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me clarify one thing regard my comments about flawlessly operating. Compared to using key fob to remote operate, it is slower. So what. If I am reasonably close to truck and it is locked, more than likely I am not going to jerk out my phone to start or open it when I probably have my keys with me. If I am so far away I can’t use my key, yep, I can use my phone and even if it is slow, by the time I get to the vehicle it will be started. I have owned two trucks with Onstar, actuation was not lightning fast either.

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
You get a pass

Just go in eyes open. No truck is perfect. These trucks have more than a few, ongoing issues that are pretty significant and very well documented here and elsewhere. I usually keep a truck 2-3 years tops so it doesn't affect me as much as someone who is planning to keep one 10 years.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So without the $25/month Sirius Guardian subscription the app is worthless? Just trying to be clear.

Thanks

The one year trial is full service. After the year is up, you'll still get mileage, tire pressure fuel level for free.

It'll take a subscription to get the location, remote start, lock and unlock. $149/6 months. I wasn't willing to pay that and I knew that when I ordered my truck. Once it expires they'll give you $49 for 6 months. That I did.

If they are like SiriusXM, call before you run out and get the deal. I do that with both my vehicles and pay $5/month per vehicle for the full audio package and have for 2+ years.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just go in eyes open. No truck is perfect. These trucks have more than a few, ongoing issues that are pretty significant and very well documented here and elsewhere. I usually keep a truck 2-3 years tops so it doesn't affect me as much as someone who is planning to keep one 10 years.

Nothing compared to the F150s with the frozen door latches, making your truck inaccessible in the cold!

camaro430sut

Reaction score
If it's like SXM for radio service I can definitely negotiate a better deal. I havent paid monthly service on any of our vehicle or our boat

camaro430sut

Reaction score
Most recently I think I did 65 for 12/mo

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Yep, l miss read that connection, you were definitely only commenting on the app features. My apologies. Still, you should check out your wireless service or phone.
No worries.

I have tested both. I have 2 new droids that I carry and I've tried it on my daughters iPhone X plus (or whatever the big one is called) I've tried it at home with the truck parked in the garage, out of it, at work (a city center) and several other places. The behavior is similar everywhere I've tried it which should rule out cell coverage issues. Having read here and elsewhere, that many endure the same performance I've just figured it's never going to work well. I've lived with using a remote all these years...it won't kill me to continue doing so. It's annoying that a $72K flagship truck would have these issues with such basic systems, but it is what it is I suppose.

At some point, I'll have my dealer flash the RFHUB with the info in the TSB for this and see if it helps. A few reported good luck after having that done while others had no real change. My truck has a new enough build date that it should have all that already baked in, but...it doesn't. Several systems on the truck were not enabled when the BCM was flashed at the factory. This all points to poor QC by FCA. I've said it before...this is a good truck that could be a great truck if FCA would fix the QC issues. I'd also love for them to open the API or provide an SDK so a third party could go through the code, correct the bugs and offer additional features...stuff like turning on the interior lights when you shut the truck off. My wife's 19K Honda does that. Every car and truck I've had in the last decade did that. Since everything is software controlled or software defined, this is easy stuff to do. Hopefully, they'll open it up. I guess we'll see.

I like the truck. The ride is great, the interior is the best in the category by far, the exterior appearance is the best to my eye, plenty of power, sounds good, mileage sucks, but it's a big brick with a V8 so....

Good luck.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most recently I think I did 65 for 12/mo

That is the best I've been able to get as well. Get the Ram, you'll enjoy it. Sounds like your like me and trade every few years, you should be good to go. 18 months in and best truck I've owned so far.

MF2020

Reaction score
To say that other trucks are inferior or that the Ram is better than all is just a moronic statement. It's a nice truck. Do other trucks do some things better, yes. Some worse, of course. One thing I'm sure we can all agree on is Jap trucks do suck.

I've had the truck for an hour, one thing I've noticed is that I cant seem to find a comfortable seating position vs my Denali. The seat puts pressure on my upper back.

Excuse me! What is with the attack. Considering all the Ram offers and based on everything else I considered buying I found the Ram superior. Period! You can be disagreeable but the the name calling is uncalled for. This is my opinion and you can have your own but spare me the name calling nonsense.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that...I'll call BS on. Provide a video, showing your app working as fast as Onstar or Ford PASS for all to view. Even the dealers told me, presale, that this system was very slow.
Yeah I’ll get right on that. You send the command and walk out to a warm/cold vehicle 10 minutes later, not sure what’s so difficult to understand.

MF2020

Reaction score
So I decided to try starting the truck with the Uconnect application and it started in slightly less than 1 minute. Lucky I guess based on what others are saying here. Perhaps because Im in the house and on WIFI instead of LTE or 4G/3G whatever. I don't know but I'll try again another time without the WIFI and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread