5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do it? Buying a 20 Ram 1500

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The one year trial is full service. After the year is up, you'll still get mileage, tire pressure fuel level for free.

It'll take a subscription to get the location, remote start, lock and unlock. $149/6 months. I wasn't willing to pay that and I knew that when I ordered my truck. Once it expires they'll give you $49 for 6 months. That I did.

If they are like SiriusXM, call before you run out and get the deal. I do that with both my vehicles and pay $5/month per vehicle for the full audio package and have for 2+ years.
If only that were true for the 12”...

MF2020

Reaction score
Ok so just tried the Uconnect application again but this time without WIFI and using the LTE network with only 2 bars on my iPhone and the truck started in 33 seconds. I then canceled the start and that turned the truck off in 7 seconds. So maybe I have some kind of crazy good connection here in my driveway but I will continue to test this away from home to see if my good luck with this application is a fluke . LOL

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Ok so just tried the Uconnect application again but this time without WIFI and using the LTE network with only 2 bars on my iPhone and the truck started in 33 seconds. I then canceled the start and that turned the truck off in 7 seconds. So maybe I have some kind of crazy good connection here in my driveway but I will continue to test this away from home to see if my good luck with this application is a fluke . LOL
Try it in the morning after it's been sitting for the night. One of the issues appeared to be that the RFHUB would go into power save (sleep) and wouldn't wake fully when the first command is sent. I have recorded this with my truck using the surveillance cameras in my shop. I send the command...the dash wakes up, but the truck never starts, locks, etc. Once the dash is awake (usually 8 seconds), I can close the app immediately, restart the app and resend the command and it'll work within 7-30 seconds. That's pretty consistent for me and what others have reported here on the big uConnect thread.

You can read about it here:

MF2020

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to know, SiriusXm GUARDIAN Version 3.4.3 Hope this is helpful to anyone having trouble with this application.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

30-45 seconds is what my experience has been over the past 18 months. Decent, however on Ford's system your talking 5 seconds, even in remote areas of the UP of Michigan. Ram worked up there as well, however the same 30-45 second response time.

MF2020

Reaction score
Try it in the morning after it's been sitting for the night. One of the issues appeared to be that the RFHUB would go into power save (sleep) and wouldn't wake fully when the first command is sent. I have recorded this with my truck using the surveillance cameras in my shop. I send the command...the dash wakes up, but the truck never starts, locks, etc. Once the dash is awake (usually 8 seconds), I can close the app immediately, restart the app and resend the command and it'll work within 7-30 seconds. That's pretty consistent for me and what others have reported here on the big uConnect thread.

You can read about it here:

Hey thanks for the tip! I might actually start using this app now. This is why I like this forum, I have learned a lot about the little nuances of this vehicle here.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
30-45 seconds is what my experience has been over the past 18 months. Decent, however on Ford's system your talking 5 seconds, even in remote areas of the UP of Michigan. Ram worked up there as well, however the same 30-45 second response time.
Ever notice how when you use a credit card at a huge store like Walmart the CC transaction is approved in seconds while in smaller stores it can take a while? Bigger volume stores spend far more in CC fees and in return they get faster approval as a benefit. The CC clearing house companies have found they can offer tiered services (like some internet providers) where the lower priced tiers have slower speeds and the higher priced tiers offer much higher speeds. It appears that FCA is buying the bargain basement service to be able to say the app works, but it's so slow that it can be annoying.

MF2020

Reaction score
Ever notice how when you use a credit card at a huge store like Walmart the CC transaction is approved in seconds while in smaller stores it can take a while? Bigger volume stores spend far more in CC fees and in return they get faster approval as a benefit. The CC clearing house companies have found they can offer tiered services (like some internet providers) where the lower priced tiers have slower speeds and the higher priced tiers offer much higher speeds. It appears that FCA is buying the bargain basement service to be able to say the app works, but it's so slow that it can be annoying.
So it seems! I guess I can live with 30 seconds or so because if I'm within 5 to 10 seconds of the vehicle then I can just use the key fob. Now I can't wait to tey this application out when I'm in the mall and the car is 3 acres away. We will see...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to know, SiriusXm GUARDIAN Version 3.4.3 Hope this is helpful to anyone having trouble with this application.
Interesting. I only see 3.4.1 available on the Google Play store. iOS or Android phone?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I start at the airport, from the plane as soon as landing all the time on a 4G connection. I assume it starts in the same 30 sec as it does at home when I've tested over wifi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Guardian pricing for the 12" is different? If so, then WOW...then I'm really glad I opted for the knobs and not the 12" screen...
There’s just no vehicle health reports for the 12”. It’s been “planned for a software update” since the truck came out.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s just no vehicle health reports for the 12”. It’s been “planned for a software update” since the truck came out.

Got it. Your not missing much. I don't drive the truck as my daily driver anymore - my wife does. In that regards, its nice to get the email from it each week. If I was in it daily, it'd be worthless.

renzo2213

Reaction score
I bought mine in September. So far no problems. Only thing that happened was when I got a phone call and then got off the phone, the screen was stuck on the Apple car play screen. The fix? I clicked the Apple car play button again lol so just a minor little glitch that happened. Other than that, it has been flawless. Traded my f150 for it. Told my wife I was just going for a test drive, wasn’t planning on buying a truck for at least another 6 months. Came home to an angry wife with a new truck. But what was the first thing she said when she got in? “You’re going to let me use it right?”....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sman301

Reaction score
I bought mine in September. So far no problems. Only thing that happened was when I got a phone call and then got off the phone, the screen was stuck on the Apple car play screen. The fix? I clicked the Apple car play button again lol so just a minor little glitch that happened. Other than that, it has been flawless. Traded my f150 for it. Told my wife I was just going for a test drive, wasn’t planning on buying a truck for at least another 6 months. Came home to an angry wife with a new truck. But what was the first thing she said when she got in? “You’re going to let me use it right?”....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. Lots of similar stories. My wife want mine lol.

sman301 sman301 sman301

RJS

Reaction score
I just reinstalled the Uconnect app on my Pixel 3aXL and it's still 3.4.1 so I'll keep checking. I had my 19 Laramie 12" in for an oil change and when I picked it up the screen took a while to power up. I was concerned but about the time I was going to walk into to the service area it came on and worked as usual, with no issues. I notice now that the Uconnect app works much better that previously albeit still slow. I'm not sure if they updated the truck or just luck of the draw. Nothing on the service record about an update but it's pretty sketchy other than the comment on full synthetic oil change being done. Truck's an early 19 build.

rphfrank

Reaction score
Jeez, if I wanted keyboard cowboys I'd have asked this question on facebook. Can we not turn this thread into a pissing contest

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If you go to the Ram website and build a truck, there is an option to prepay for up to 5 years of Guardian service. Maybe ask the dealership about that?

Users who are viewing this thread