5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

Amazing93

Reaction score
So far, NY and CA are the only States that I know of that banned sales of gas cars in 2035. Used gas cars will be allowed to stay on the road and resold. We'll see in 12yrs if other States follow suite, if EV prices go down, and EV charging station infrastructure will be set. I'm just hoping gas prices doesn't sky rocket.
WA state had also banned them. They have also banned the ability to bring a ice vehicle into the state if it is after 2035. So say you moved into WA with your 2036 Ram with gas engine you can not register that vehicle. It's absolutely ridiculous. Hell as of last summer I can't even buy a can of R134a to recharge a vehicles AC. Now I have to drive 40 minutes to Idaho to buy a can of freon. WA politics suck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nobody is force feeding anything. EV is an option right now.
Sure, right now they are an option. The change to EV should happen organically. People will drive what makes sense to them, and if EV's ever get to the point that it makes more sense to the vast majority to drive them, then that change will happen because of demand. Governments that force its people to buy electric vehicles is in fact force feeding. How many car companies will continue to invest in making ICE powered vehicles if they can't sell them in some of the largest markets? That's not organic change.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, right now they are an option. The change to EV should happen organically. People will drive what makes sense to them, and if EV's ever get to the point that it makes more sense to the vast majority to drive them, then that change will happen because of demand. Governments that force its people to buy electric vehicles is in fact force feeding. How many car companies will continue to invest in making ICE powered vehicles if they can't sell them in some of the largest markets? That's not organic change.
I don't foresee the states that have passed bills keeping them unless technology greatly advanced by the deadline. Especially a state like California with such a large agriculture economy is large parts of the state where EV just isn't practical. Unfortunately for Cali, the people making the laws and passing the bills don't understand nor live in this areas to even care.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't foresee the states that have passed bills keeping them unless technology greatly advanced by the deadline. Especially a state like California with such a large agriculture economy is large parts of the state where EV just isn't practical. Unfortunately for Cali, the people making the laws and passing the bills don't understand nor live in this areas to even care.
I think there will be exemptions, extensions and lawsuits along the way.
if affordability doesn't drastically change the infrastructure might be able to keep up
yea we get morons after morons running and ruining Cali

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Anyone else watch the movie, "Who killed the electric car?"
California tried the push to EV decades ago and pulled the plug so there's nothing saying they couldn't do it again after another 2 yr shot at it.
The fastest way to find out of its going to work is to test run it.
The people loved the vehicles but they were not allowed to keep them at the end of the leases.

As a sideline, I started looking at the cost of different charging stations. I was actually surprised to see what I believe to be pretty reasonable prices on level 2 home chargers.
$400-$600 for the average charger.
I'm an electrician so install cost is irrelevent to me but could be a deciding factor for others.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pretty much every state has large areas where it's not practical to only have EV's. And don't think it will stop with California, NY, and WA either. There are plenty of other states considering following in their foot steps. As mentioned, there will be lawsuits a-plenty. But in the meantime, while those work their way through the courts, car companies would be stupid not to see the writing on the wall and stop or at least drastically slow down on producing ICE powered vehicles. Even just the threat of mandates can be enough to eventually force EV's on us. It's the willingness of government officials to dictate mandates like these that's the problem, not the actual EV's.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Even Harley Davidson announced they’re going full electric gradually over the next decade.😲
I predict unless things change this will be a slow death for a lot of these companies. Eliminating the ICE completely just isn’t practical.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No surprise there… California, New York and WA.. I’m sure Oregon isn’t behind. I’m guessing all those gas Subarus will be gone lol. Theres loophole to everything hopefully those that will be impacted have family down south somewhere who they can register their vehicle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even Harley Davidson announced they’re going full electric gradually over the next decade. I predict unless things change this will be a slow death for a lot of these companies. Eliminating the ICE completely just isn’t practical.

Just dumb especially with the huge following Harley guys are. Im sure some newer younger guys wouldn’t care if they have to go electric but I can’t see to many of the older guys willingly go electric lol guess goodbye loud pipes lol now unless I see you in my mirror I wont know that your there anymore lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s 10’ more than the competition😆

At least it will look better. Why do they have to go bat crap crazy with lights on EV’s? Obviously they wanna stand apart and be more noticeable but at some point that’s WAY over the top and just gaudy looking. Not everybody wants to be noticed. Just make a normal looking truck except it’s electrified. Same with the cars. Most are just butt ugly.

I agree with you about the lights but take a look how many guys are adding lights to their trucks. Bug deflectors with lights, lights in the wheel wells, cab roof lights, A pillar lights, grille lights, hood edge lights, etc...those guys are giddy about the illuminated emblems. :LOL:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They probably will follow suit unfortunately. That said the CA/NY ban does allow internal combustion engines to still be sold if they are part of a hybrid system, not sure if the Ram etorque would count as a hybrid but most cars and light trucks will be hybrids by 2035.
It doesn't count.
It is considered a "mild hybrid" system. Insurance and taxes also don't treat it as a hybrid, because it's not. You can't drive on battery EVER with eTorque thus it's not a hybrid. Same reason why we aren't getting the 30-40 mpg city we might be able to if Ram actually made a real hybrid which would be WAY better then an EV.
Placed my $100 refundable deposit already.
You didn't place a $100 refundable deposit.
You clearly did not read the terms and conditions before throwing your money out the window.

What you bought was the ability to place a pre-order 2 weeks before anyone who did not spend the $100.
Once pre-order date is announced your $100 is not refundable even if you choose not to pre-order.
The $100 is NOT a deposit and does NOT go towards the purchase price of the truck.

Thanks for letting Ram know there are suckers like you who will spend money on nothing.

Kumba1010

Reaction score
It doesn't count.
It is considered a "mild hybrid" system. Insurance and taxes also don't treat it as a hybrid, because it's not. You can't drive on battery EVER with eTorque thus it's not a hybrid. Same reason why we aren't getting the 30-40 mpg city we might be able to if Ram actually made a real hybrid which would be WAY better then an EV.

You didn't place a $100 refundable deposit.
You clearly did not read the terms and conditions before throwing your money out the window.

What you bought was the ability to place a pre-order 2 weeks before anyone who did not spend the $100.
Once pre-order date is announced your $100 is not refundable even if you choose not to pre-order.
The $100 is NOT a deposit and does NOT go towards the purchase price of the truck.

Thanks for letting Ram know there are suckers like you who will spend money on nothing.
Damn...why are you so harsh?..

Renegade34

Reaction score
It's definitely more than a "few" states that plan on banning ICE engines. It's also all of Canada by 2035. We have some seriously remote areas here so I'm not sure how that's going to work. I think it's ridiculous, the majority of our power grids are almost at full capacity now but they want everyone charging EV's. Doesn't make sense to me.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there will be exemptions, extensions and lawsuits along the way.
if affordability doesn't drastically change the infrastructure might be able to keep up
yea we get morons after morons running and ruining Cali
I'm old enough to remember when California was actually a very good state. A very decent industrial base when aerospace was still here, even a few automotive plants. You could get almost any industrial process done in CA, and done well. The school system was good. Lordy, how far CA has fallen...it's a cryin' shame.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Remember, California had just announced the their EV mandate, and a few days later told everyone not to charge them because of the lack of electricity. I think everyone else will see the same if everyone switched today.

The grid is not prepared for this, especially places that use unreliable sources like solar and wind turbines. These are not solutions. If you charge your EV with fossil fueled electricity, you’re just relocating emissions, and pretending to save the planet.

Maybe if we start adopting nuclear, and upgrade infrastructure to support the charging load, that would make more sense.

I would rather use Carbon engineerings fuel if they could get that off the ground. Carbon neutral fuel that can be used in todays ICE engines. You can fill up in less that an hour still get that exhaust tone we all love.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering the current Ram is already best in class for interior styling and quality, and exterior styling, why mess too much with a good thing? And if you read the articles it's a completely different chassis platform specific to the EV trucks. So they didn't just "slap a new front" on it.
I myself am very disappointed in Ram. Not for losing the radical styling and the silly "suicide doors" of the Revolution concept truck, but for losing all of the truly useful work-related features (bed extender, long-item pass-throughs, track seating in the cab, tracks in the bed, the huge Ram Boxes, the work surfaces in the cab). The "3rd-row jump seats" were just weird and wouldn't add much value for probably 80% of owners, so no loss there.
I'm also disappointed that Ram still isn't saying anything about the range-extender. In fact, one online auto magazine had a direct quote from Mike Koval that could be interpreted as him back-pedaling on the REPB. Which isn't much of a surprise, because where would they package the REPB gas engine inside of the existing 1500 body? If they had any chance of packaging in a small REPB engine, it WOULD require a radical departure in design (not swoopy design, just plain old packaging design).
EDIT: Here's the link where Koval is backpedaling on the REPB:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/reaction-strong-for-2024-ram-1500-rev-electric-pickup-truck-design/
"While Ram is looking at a REPB, it is not a done deal, Koval tells us. There are engineering challenges and it would make a good addition to the lineup, but so far it is not a lock that Ram will proceed."
I dunno...to me this embodiment is a huge letdown. I didn't expect the radical styling of the concept vehicle, but I am disappointed in the apparent loss of most of the genuinely useful features.

Last edited:

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm guessing we don't get the avalanche-esque fold down rear seat bed extension or the long cargo bed-to-boot console passthrough either. None of the good ideas, only a spontaneously combusting short range battery and a minor style tweak.

Yup. Textbook Bait & Switch.

Bait us with the Truck shown at CES in January / take our $100 in February / Switch and show us the Production version 2 days later.....

davidn0021

Reaction score
I would prefer a hybrid. At least until they can overcome the short towing range.

I'd jump on a plug-in hybrid in a heartbeat. Maybe something like, 40 miles on electric only and still have a large capacity fuel tank (26/33). That would be more than sufficient for me to get around town and not have to fill up ever while still giving me the confidence to do roadtrips and not have range anxiety. Not sure why no truck company ever offered this??

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember, California had just announced the their EV mandate, and a few days later told everyone not to charge them because of the lack of electricity. I think everyone else will see the same if everyone switched today.

The grid is not prepared for this, especially places that use unreliable sources like solar and wind turbines. These are not solutions. If you charge your EV with fossil fueled electricity, you’re just relocating emissions, and pretending to save the planet.

Maybe if we start adopting nuclear, and upgrade infrastructure to support the charging load, that would make more sense.

I would rather use Carbon engineerings fuel if they could get that off the ground. Carbon neutral fuel that can be used in todays ICE engines. You can fill up in less that an hour still get that exhaust tone we all love.
We got more than a decade to go but things aren't looking great from the get go. If only we had true leadership. Our last nuclear plant is due to close in the next few years. There were ongoing talks about its future but i stop following so not sure if anything was decided.

Users who are viewing this thread