5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifts and Grins Fabrication 2019 Rebel Build Thread

Boost Monkey

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Ram one on the first page at all. I do like the Toyota one though. The first front bumper I build will be similar to that and many other offerings similar to that for just about everything except Ram trucks.

150% agreed on that Yota bumper looking good. In fact, that is literally exactly what I have been looking for, including I want the bull bar on it also. Preferable mid-height but i'd take a full height one too if need be.

I spoke to N-Fab who makes a bunch of nice pre-runner style front bumpers for other platforms and since I'm local to them, I offered my truck for measurements, test fittings, whatever they needed to actually produce a nice bumper for the Rebel. But of course... for business reasons of spending the extra money making an alternate product version, taking up more warehouse shelf space for the alternate version, etc. for a smaller market... None of these off-road product manufacturers will actually sack up and do the right thing.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
150% agreed on that Yota bumper looking good. In fact, that is literally exactly what I have been looking for, including I want the bull bar on it also. Preferable mid-height but i'd take a full height one too if need be.

I spoke to N-Fab who makes a bunch of nice pre-runner style front bumpers for other platforms and since I'm local to them, I offered my truck for measurements, test fittings, whatever they needed to actually produce a nice bumper for the Rebel. But of course... for business reasons of spending the extra money making an alternate product version, taking up more warehouse shelf space for the alternate version, etc. for a smaller market... None of these off-road product manufacturers will actually sack up and do the right thing.
That's why I'd like to specialize in Ram. It's different than most businesses out there. There is certainly enough of a market to keep us more than busy enough. When we get production rolling and can handle lead times with 5th gen Ram Rebels we will branch out to other Ram trucks. Most likely Power Wagons will be next.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jumping into this convo. I love prerunner bumpers and loved the N-Fab RDS bumpers.

With respect to our Rebels, I completely get the limited availability, for factory bumpers the OEM ones do function pretty well and can handle a pretty decent approach angle.

Evil MFG has some bumpers available but I guess there’s some cutting/welding involved to install them. Not sure what specifically is cut and welded but I’ve heard that this is why there aren’t more options like this available.

I’ll stay tuned to see what you guys come up with. A bolt on pre-runner style bumper would be awesome and the cherry on top for these rebels.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Jumping into this convo. I love prerunner bumpers and loved the N-Fab RDS bumpers.

With respect to our Rebels, I completely get the limited availability, for factory bumpers the OEM ones do function pretty well and can handle a pretty decent approach angle.

Evil MFG has some bumpers available but I guess there’s some cutting/welding involved to install them. Not sure what specifically is cut and welded but I’ve heard that this is why there aren’t more options like this available.

I’ll stay tuned to see what you guys come up with. A bolt on pre-runner style bumper would be awesome and the cherry on top for these rebels.
I'm confident we can come up with a bolt on option. I think a big problem we run into with our trucks is that most fab shops have established business making stuff for other brands of vehicles. Prototyping is time consuming and expensive. All of my work was one off stuff, mostly for Toyotas, and I decided I want to jump in to manufacturing on a larger scale. Since I was in a position to pivot my business, I was able to devote time and money to start prototyping. I will prototype front and rear bumpers and bed racks to go along with the rock sliders I already finished. I am also going to offer a few smaller items like bolt on brackets to accept the TRX rear tow hooks. I have plans for a full belly skid as well. I won't offer everything at once but once the prototypes are done I will start offering a few products and eventually grow it into offering everything. I have to make sure I can keep up with the demand so I don't want to offer everything at once and be a year behind because that isn't good for anybody.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you. Love watching your Instagram work.

While we’re on the topic of our trucks (and really ALL trucks) it’s be nice to see a bed rack that uses the stakehole pockets so you can retain the use of a hard folding tonneau.

I’m probably missing an obvious obstacle but this seems like a no brainer idea. I’d love the ability to carry my kayak and fishing poles up top but keep all our suitcases out of the elements on our lake house trips.

I chat with a lot of manufacturers and this doesn’t appear to be a priority for any of them....

I’ll get off my soap box...

Awesome work man!

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I hear you. Love watching your Instagram work.

While we’re on the topic of our trucks (and really ALL trucks) it’s be nice to see a bed rack that uses the stakehole pockets so you can retain the use of a hard folding tonneau.

I’m probably missing an obvious obstacle but this seems like a no brainer idea. I’d love the ability to carry my kayak and fishing poles up top but keep all our suitcases out of the elements on our lake house trips.

I chat with a lot of manufacturers and this doesn’t appear to be a priority for any of them....

I’ll get off my soap box...

Awesome work man!
Thank you. I have been looking at that. It would be ideal to make a rack that will work for many options just like you mentioned. I've actualy been thinking about that and trying to figure out a way to make it very versatile.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
A buddy of mine loaned me some Tomar TRX Lights to use as a mock up on the rear bumper build. They will be hooked up to the reverse lights (which will be awesome because they are super bright) and I am thinking about offering an option to switch them on with an auxilary switch as well.
Tomar Lights.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A buddy of mine loaned me some Tomar TRX Lights to use as a mock up on the rear bumper build. They will be hooked up to the reverse lights (which will be awesome because they are super bright) and I am thinking about offering an option to switch them on with an auxilary switch as well.
View attachment 85429
FYI start at post #364. I did this with my reverse lights and a set that lights up at the tailgate. Works great if you use the tailgate to work on.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
FYI start at post #364. I did this with my reverse lights and a set that lights up at the tailgate. Works great if you use the tailgate to work on.
I like it. I love good lighting! Thanks for the link

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like it. I love good lighting! Thanks for the link
Good luck with the lighting. I'm real happy and the lights are a real asset on the occasional long work day into night. Could have used them years ago when involved in Boy Scouts, nice addition for the hunter/camper crowd.

Fauji Rebel

Reaction score
I've been asked for some pictures of the underside to see clearance. Here is one. Both sliders attach to the frame with 11 1/2" grade 8 bolts for each side. To say it is sturdy is an understatement. Yesterday I jacked the entire passenger side of the truck off of the ground by the outer round tube with no issues. Now I want to knock out some brackets to mount to the rear receiver hitch that you can bolt the TRX rear tow hooks to before I pull my rear bumper and get started on that portion of the build.

View attachment 85171 View attachment 85172 View attachment 85173 View attachment 85174 View attachment 85175
Very nice, luv the kick out. Can’t wait to see it with dimpled holes top plate sections
Looking awesome for sure

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey so i installed a offroad bumper on my rebel and basically from what i seen its the head lights panels that throw off the after market bumpers but honesty if we can get just. the braacket made to fit 2 inchs higher i think it would work great ... look at this for example .. im like 1/4 of inch off. gonna redo the plates for mounting again soon

Attachments

• 4115DE11-CC7F-4849-AFA3-CDE2174B0C73.jpeg
    4115DE11-CC7F-4849-AFA3-CDE2174B0C73.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 106
  • AC7CA084-BE54-41B6-A99B-500A246A4052.jpeg
    AC7CA084-BE54-41B6-A99B-500A246A4052.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 105

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
hey so i installed a offroad bumper on my rebel and basically from what i seen its the head lights panels that throw off the after market bumpers but honesty if we can get just. the braacket made to fit 2 inchs higher i think it would work great ... look at this for example .. im like 1/4 of inch off. gonna redo the plates for mounting again soon
Yes it looks like you got it up there pretty good. Some I've seen have a pretty good gap.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I've made a little progress on the rear bumper. It won't be near as boxy as it looks right now. You'll just have to trust me on that. lol I also got working on brackets for rear TRX tow hooks that I will be producing soon. Enjoy. Bumper and Receiver Removed.jpg Start of Rebel Rear Bumper 2.jpg Start of Rebel Rear Bumper.jpg

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I'm loving how much room there is under the back with the bumper and receiver hitch out of the way. I am planning a high clearance rear bumper for this truck. The spare tire will get moved to a tire carrier mounted to the bumper and the exhaust will be deleted in the rear (it actually already is.... my tail pipes are only there to mock up the bumper). It may never be offered to the public as it will require cutting but I'm excited to get to that one soon. This prototype I'm building now is already sold to a vendor I will be working with.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It doesn't look good yet but hang in there. I have some ideas in mind and my vision for this bumper is starting to take shape. Keep in mind this is a prototype. Once I am happy with everything it will be far fewer pieces and weld joints. It is kind of like patch work right now to get my vision to come to life. Rear Bumper Angles.jpg Rear Bumper Angles 2.jpg Rear Bumper Angles 3.jpg Rear Bumper Angles 4.jpg Rear Bumper Angles 5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread