5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifts and Grins Fabrication 2019 Rebel Build Thread

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Drivers side outers almost done. Two support tubes left to cut, notch and weld. ThenI have to cut brackets, runners from sliders to frame brackets, and gussets. Plan is to have these ready to go to powder coat on Monday and then start the next build. Should I go bed rack for roof top tent, Rear bumper or front bumper next??? Still haven't decided. View attachment 80403 View attachment 80404 View attachment 80405 View attachment 80406
You could make up a new post with a poll to see what the masses are looking for? The poll option is just below the thread title when you make a new post.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
A few updates from today. I looked at a new house that would accomodate a very large (over 3,000 square feet shop) but my wife and daughter didn't like the house very much. So when I wasn't trying to expand shop space, I was working on actual products, (Toyoata sliders and Ram sliders)

Attachments

• Sliders end caps.jpg
    Sliders end caps.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Sliders side by side.jpg
    Sliders side by side.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Sliders side by side two.jpg
    Sliders side by side two.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Drivers and passenger side sliders.jpg
    Drivers and passenger side sliders.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 90
  • Driver's side 5th gen ram slider.jpg
    Driver's side 5th gen ram slider.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 92

nainey_09

Reaction score
Drivers side outers almost done. Two support tubes left to cut, notch and weld. ThenI have to cut brackets, runners from sliders to frame brackets, and gussets. Plan is to have these ready to go to powder coat on Monday and then start the next build. Should I go bed rack for roof top tent, Rear bumper or front bumper next??? Still haven't decided. View attachment 80403 View attachment 80404 View attachment 80405 View attachment 80406

Everything looks like its coming together nicely! When your done with the sliders i vote you go after building a steel front bumper. There arent many options out there for a bolt on strong steel front bumper. The ADD bumper looks great in my opinion, but not very protective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Everything looks like its coming together nicely! When your done with the sliders i vote you go after building a steel front bumper. There arent many options out there for a bolt on strong steel front bumper. The ADD bumper looks great in my opinion, but not very protective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By May I will have at least one front bumper design and one rear bumper design.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Some minor updates. Way behind schedule of where I wanted to be. Passenger side is completely done. Drivers side outer is done and brackets are cut. Tomorrow I will bolt up the brackets and tack everything in place. I will then remove it and final weld everything. Once that is done, I will send both sides to powder coat and final install. Bumpers will likely be my next project. I will likely do my rear bumper first as I am talking to some winch manufacturers to see which winch I will run on this build. On a side note, once the sliders are completely done, I will build jigs to make rebuiling them quick and repeatable.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do they weigh? They look great.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Got the truck out this weekend and did some testing. Sliders held up well. They will hold the entire weight of the truck just fine. I am also extremely surprised and impressed with howwell this truck does offroad. If I didn't care about the paint it would have been a much more pleasant trip. The Arizona desert can be hell on a paint job. I would say going up rocky steep loose hills (mounatains) it did as well if not better than any of my Jeeps have done.
Rebel in Superstitions.jpg Rebel on Trail in Superstitions.png Rebel on Trail.jpg Rebel Rock Sliders and Gussets.jpg

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I should be getting the sliders to powder coat tomorrow and as soon as they get back I will build a jig so I can start reproducint these. I am working with my supplieers to try to get them around the $1,200 mark powder coated. Shipping not included. For now, I can do them raw steel for $1,200 but should be able to get prices down to that with powdercoat shortly.

JDHarris

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures under the truck with them mounted? I’m curious about clearances with the body, how it mounts to the frame, and what the lowest points end up being for getting hung up on things.

Any thoughts around offering them without the rear hoops? It looks like the hoops stick out a couple inches wider than the tires?

These look nice! Really interesting.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures under the truck with them mounted? I’m curious about clearances with the body, how it mounts to the frame, and what the lowest points end up being for getting hung up on things.

Any thoughts around offering them without the rear hoops? It looks like the hoops stick out a couple inches wider than the tires?

I'll get you some more photos of all of that. I'm picking them up from powder coat today, and I need to build my jig and then I'll reinstall them and get those pictures for you.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

Oh and I will probably offer them without the kickout in the rear as well. I install them so they almost touch the pinch seam under the body. As far as clearance, I designed them with as much clearance as possible to avoid any hang up issues. They bolt to the frame and in the front and rear mounts they also bolt to a body mount. I'll get you pictures of all of it when I get them back on.

Users who are viewing this thread