5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

Bs32929

Reaction score
Mine did this the night I drove it off the lot. That was September 26th and its been in the shop pretty much since then and is now getting a new transmission. I'm told it will be ready for pickup tomorrow and they're hoping that fixes the issue. RAMCARES is worthless. In my state our lemon law kicks in at 30 days with out the vehicle. Almost there. Luckily I made a cell phone video of what it does. Very dangerous!

ponypride

Reaction score
I had a wierd experience today. I shifted from drive to reverse. The truck did not go backwards but the "R" on the dash started flashing. I then went from "Park" to "Reverse" and everything was fine. Any idea what the flashing meant?

Scamp30

Reaction score
Mine did this the night I drove it off the lot. That was September 26th and its been in the shop pretty much since then and is now getting a new transmission. I'm told it will be ready for pickup tomorrow and they're hoping that fixes the issue. RAMCARES is worthless. In my state our lemon law kicks in at 30 days with out the vehicle. Almost there. Luckily I made a cell phone video of what it does. Very dangerous!
Keep us posted on the result. My wife also made a video of what it's doing but I've not shown it off yet. I believe I've convinced the shop manager that it's a real thing just from discussion and he has said that he has contacted FCA to see if there has been a resolution for the problem. I am pretty sure a new tranny will be it but they need to get the problem resolved in the factory to prevent this from recurring assuming it is a defective part. The bad thing is that it's obviously still occurring since I just got mine a week and a half ago. Hopefully its a small number that the defects are getting through and you got one of the good trannys for a replacement.

Scamp30

Reaction score
I had a wierd experience today. I shifted from drive to reverse. The truck did not go backwards but the "R" on the dash started flashing. I then went from "Park" to "Reverse" and everything was fine. Any idea what the flashing meant?
Yea, that just means there was some sort of error and it corrected it. I have had 2 vehicles with the electronic 8 speed transmissions and typically had a similar result if I left it in drive when I turned the vehicle off. I think it would flash drive and then adjust to park. This shouldn't be a big concern unless it's happening a lot. Usually it's a user error or you did something it didn't like.

th3duke

Reaction score
This has happened to me on 2 or 3 occasions... gets stuck in park occasionally. Every time putting it in reverse and slightly backing up and then going back to Drive works like a charm.

It hasn't bothered me enough to bring it in yet, I am hoping the next system flash will fix the problem. I will keep everyone posted it it gets worse.

Now that I know that the reverse trick works, I'm not as worried about causing additional harm, but it's still concerning to have this issue and they can't do anything about it without a code. Next time it happens I will definitely make a video of it.

NewRAmOwner

Reaction score
Just updating my situation. My wife went back to the dealership to pick up the license plate today and dropped by the service department once more to let them know it was still having problems and to make sure that the issue was recorded in some type of service ticket. I am normally a patient person but the last few times I tried to be patient with companies it didn't fair well for me. She was very upset when we met up because there wasn't much they could do without knowing exactly what the problem is. She was told that without some sort of error code they wouldn't be able to fix it but from my experience not all issues have error codes or can even be autonomously determined to be errors. I believe this is one of the latter cases. If the parking brake is stuck in the way then the truck is just going to see that as being up against a rock or curb. Given that information I chose to attempt to reach out to the FCA group in hopes they would help to get me on the right track to a resolution. Even so I have found myself awake in the middle of the night writing an update and my head reeling over this issue with my brand new truck.
I video'd mine every time it did it so I had proof.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
new transmission? trade this in asap

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
In TN thankfully the 30 days is cumulative. Hopefully everything works great now for you.

MD82

Reaction score
I need a little input on whether or not there is a real repair for this problem... About 5 out of 10 times i put this truck in Drive, it does NOTHING. Nothing clicks and it acts as if its still in Park. Only when i slowly depress the pedal does it pop into gear and lunge forward. This is not good nor safe. Ive 500 miles on the truck already and am about ready to return it if there is no real fix for this issue. Open to opinions and input! Thanks, Doug
I'm having issues right now with gear selector knob. 800km on the truck and when you press the brake you hear a loud solenoid moving in the gear selector. Just started making noise.

MD82

Reaction score
Whoever told you that they can’t check the fluid on a ZF shouldn’t be allowed to use the term “I work at the dealership”. It’s an annoying procedure but there IS a procedure. Just need to do a series of drive sequences on the lift while
Monitoring the temperature via the scan tool. As for the issue at hand, I’m leaning away from it being a fluid issue. Seems more like an actual Elextronic Shift Module is to me though I haven’t seen any come through the dealer yet that have had tht complaint but I’ll keep my eyes open
I'm having an issue with the gear selector. The solenoid inside is making a lot of noise everytime I touch the break when it's in park. Just started happening. 800km on the truck.

Scamp30

Reaction score
I dropped mine off on Tuesday. They couldn't get it to repeat but found a couple control module updates and reprogrammed them. I have it back now on Thursday and will update again if it occurs again.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was picking up my bed extender parts this morning and actually had it "stall" in D again while pulling into the service bay. Before I gave it more gas I flagged them down so they could see it themselves. They immediately gave me a loaner 2500 diesel and said they would call when they figured it out. Fingers crossed. Great service though from them so far.

Scamp30

Reaction score
I dropped mine off on Tuesday. They couldn't get it to repeat but found a couple control module updates and reprogrammed them. I have it back now on Thursday and will update again if it occurs again.
It happened again today so the software updates are still not a fix... I'll be calling service on Monday.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked my truck up on Friday with a new transmission installed. No problems yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed this fixed it.

How's the new transmission holding up thus far?

Andray24

Reaction score
Brand new 2019 rebel. Picked it up 3 days ago(200km) and this has happened to me about 15 times so far. I have a great video of it as well as an odd noise coming from my shifter knob area. I know how to replicate it too. Dropped it back off at the dealer today. How can I upload the video it's 125 mb

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brand new 2019 rebel. Picked it up 3 days ago(200km) and this has happened to me about 15 times so far. I have a great video of it as well as an odd noise coming from my shifter knob area. I know how to replicate it too. Dropped it back off at the dealer today. How can I upload the video it's 125 mb
Can you upload it to youtube first and then insert the link here?

That really stinks on your new rebel. Mine is sitting with the dealer currently. I'm crossing my fingers it is a minor thing with mine, but you never know. I'm just going to thus far count my blessings that this service department has been great thus far to me. I'll let the warranty and service people work it out.

Users who are viewing this thread