5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service electronic stability control and check engine light

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What he been the solution for these issues? Bad speed sensor?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my truck as well. I’m having a similar issue. Service electronic stability control is popping up, then about 30 minutes later I’m getting several systems unavailable errors, pretty much every system in the truck, followed 6-7 minutes later with a No Bus error message where most electronics won’t work including windows and door locks fuel gauge and such but speedometer still works and radio still plays. Then about 6-7 minutes after that truck flickers and the engine cuts off while I’m driving. I still have power steering and brakes and such work so I have to pull over, put it in park and then cut it off and it will start back up. I am 6 hours from home and planned to drive back tomorrow. I changed the battery today even though I didn’t think it was that and I still have the issue.
Anybody have any thoughts on what this may be?
Added pics

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpeg
    IMG_8638.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8640.jpeg
    IMG_8640.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my truck as well. I’m having a similar issue. Service electronic stability control is popping up, then about 30 minutes later I’m getting several systems unavailable errors, pretty much every system in the truck, followed 6-7 minutes later with a No Bus error message where most electronics won’t work including windows and door locks fuel gauge and such but speedometer still works and radio still plays. Then about 6-7 minutes after that truck flickers and the engine cuts off while I’m driving. I still have power steering and brakes and such work so I have to pull over, put it in park and then cut it off and it will start back up. I am 6 hours from home and planned to drive back tomorrow. I changed the battery today even though I didn’t think it was that and I still have the issue.
Added pics
Maybe a faulty ground. Not sure where the main grounds are located tho.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Added pics
1) Check the main lead acid battery grounds, left front fender under hood.
2) Check tail lights for moisture and corrosion.
3) Check and/or replace the lead acid battery.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
1) Check the main lead acid battery grounds, left front fender under hood.
2) Check tail lights for moisture and corrosion.
3) Check and/or replace the lead acid battery.
Thank you! I’ll check the tail lights today. I have looked at the main grounds and replaced the battery yesterday in case that was it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I forgot about the tail lights. Good call

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Checked the tail lights, no visible issues at all. They look great honestly.
Might be hard to tell from the outside. You’ll probably have to drive with one tail light unplugged, then the other to see if something is wrong with them.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had my ESC light on since about 2k miles and dealer flashed my truck fixed it then came back the next day. I’ve tried going through everything myself and have never been able to get it to go away. Also, I never have any issues with ESC either. Dealer doesn’t know and says they have had bad ABS modules and have seen 5 the same way recently so they changed it when the new module came in and guess what it came back exactly one day later. So if anyone has any tips I’m obliged to check.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve had my ESC light on since about 2k miles and dealer flashed my truck fixed it then came back the next day. I’ve tried going through everything myself and have never been able to get it to go away. Also, I never have any issues with ESC either. Dealer doesn’t know and says they have had bad ABS modules and have seen 5 the same way recently so they changed it when the new module came in and guess what it came back exactly one day later. So if anyone has any tips I’m obliged to check.
That sucks. The dealer obviously doesn’t know what they’re doing.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. The dealer obviously doesn’t know what they’re doing.
They don’t he was saying oh it could be about 100 different things but this is how we always fix it. I’ve given up which is sad I love my truck and Ram but it’s just annoying that I have to take my truck in for days at a time for no resolution. I’ve even tried going through Alfa logs going through ever single thing and nothing gets rid of the code.

RamCares

Reaction score
Added pics
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealership yet regarding this? If not, we do recommend getting an appointment in place for diagnosis. If you decide to go that route, feel free to send us a private message for additional assistance.

Lex
Ram Cares

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealership yet regarding this? If not, we do recommend getting an appointment in place for diagnosis. If you decide to go that route, feel free to send us a private message for additional assistance.

Lex
Ram Cares
Dealer had my truck for almost a month and replaced one CAN Buss connector and on the 40 minute drive back home my truck did the same thing it was doing before so this didn’t fix it. My truck is still getting a no bus error every about 45 minutes or so seems like and operates and drives just fine outside of that. Whenever I get the No Bus error it takes about 5 minutes for the truck to reset with like a blip and then everything goes back to normal. While the no bus is there I can’t turn the engine off or crank it back up. If the truck is running when the blip happens after the no bus error the engine cuts off. The no bus sometimes happens when the engine is off already and my door locks, power steps and windows still don’t work but my radio does and overhead console still does so I can open my pano roof but I can’t lock the doors or anything until it resets with the blip.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealer had my truck for almost a month and replaced one CAN Buss connector and on the 40 minute drive back home my truck did the same thing it was doing before so this didn’t fix it. My truck is still getting a no bus error every about 45 minutes or so seems like and operates and drives just fine outside of that. Whenever I get the No Bus error it takes about 5 minutes for the truck to reset with like a blip and then everything goes back to normal. While the no bus is there I can’t turn the engine off or crank it back up. If the truck is running when the blip happens after the no bus error the engine cuts off. The no bus sometimes happens when the engine is off already and my door locks, power steps and windows still don’t work but my radio does and overhead console still does so I can open my pano roof but I can’t lock the doors or anything until it resets with the blip.
They would need to hook up the scanner and look deeper into the module or pcm to see where the disconnect is imo. Obviously not the connector. Maybe a loss of power or ground.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
They would need to hook up the scanner and look deeper into the module or pcm to see where the disconnect is imo. Obviously not the connector. Maybe a loss of power or ground.
Yeah I feel like it’s so hard to get a good tech at the dealership who really knows how to dig into an issue like this. I am trying to find a good mechanic in the atlanta metro area that may be familiar with this type of issue. It seems like something that happens to a few of the mopar vehicles with my internet search.

Vulpes

Reaction score
For those of us that have had CANBUS issues, (and sometimes can't get a resolution). Remember the days when a taillight went out and the vehicle didn't shut down and act like it was possessed by evil spirits, and you just put a new bulb in for a couple bucks, sometimes in the amount of time it took to fill up the tank at the gas station, and went merrily on your way?

I think those days are over, check out this video. I know it's a Ferd, but the same type of thing applies to our trucks.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
For those of us that have had CANBUS issues, (and sometimes can't get a resolution). Remember the days when a taillight went out and the vehicle didn't shut down and act like it was possessed by evil spirits, and you just put a new bulb in for a couple bucks, sometimes in the amount of time it took to fill up the tank at the gas station, and went merrily on your way?

I think those days are over, check out this video. I know it's a Ferd, but the same type of thing applies to our trucks.

So most often when mine acts up the first error I get is service electronic stability control, makes me wonder where I should have the focus on first as the possible issue… I can see the blindspot issue being tied into the taillights being the possible source of the issue to check first

Users who are viewing this thread