5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive parking sensors

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I'm referring to the active warning brake system and how in reference to the truck slamming the brakes on ... This goes for all sensors that activate it .. In his post it reads as the trucks slamming the brakes on , Do you understand now or does it need to be a tad more clear
The original post was about the rear parking sensors. Maybe try reading that again or do I need to make it a tad more clear?

shanora

Reaction score
Mine have done this to me on multiple occasions. Backing out of a parking space at the store, no one around, as I was looking in my mirrors and back-up camera, dead stop. I've also had the front sensor flashing red, and beeps when stopped behind someone at a red light. That was weird.... Nothing was there, but the signal was going crazy. I have my rear sensor turned off, and just monitor my front ones...
I should turn off the auto breaking part...I'm always worried it'll apply the breaks on me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer about this and a couple other things. Of course he couldn’t replicate the problem. I knew this was going to be the outcome. They never can replicate the problem. If something doesn’t throw a code, then the problem doesn’t exist.

sarge40

Reaction score
Saved me from backing into a ditch once, but has otherwise proven on multiple occasions to do nothing but scare the crap out of me thinking I'm about to back over something that isn't there.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the flash done to adjust the sensitivity (front would ding with nothing around it and my brakes would come on backing out of a driveway or for no reason when backing up on a flat surface).

The flash fixed 95% of my issues. They are much better now my brakes don't come on and make me look like a fool when backing out of driveways. On some steep ones (bumper gets close to the ground when backing out) the brakes will activate but the truck legitimately thinks I'm about to hit something.

Bugsy

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 1500 for a couple of months now and I'm having similar issues with my parking sensors. They're way too sensitive in my opinion. I've experienced steam / condensation from the exhaust in the cold weather to cause sudden braking in reverse. I've had the sudden brake when there are one or two low hanging leaves even somewhat close to the truck. The slightly declining driveway has also gotten me a couple of times. After I'm done cursing it out and I've gotten out to check for obstructions, I usually turn the sensors off. I'd really like them to just work better. All of my previous vehicles managed to work pretty well. I also get the front sensor alerting me of nearby objects, even when I'm not moving and the truck is in reverse! WTF were they thinking on this situation when they programmed it?

I haven't brought it in to the dealer yet, but I may just have to make a special trip to get it looked at. I'll bring the TSB with me in case I can't reproduce the problem with the service writer.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
My fronts got me in a parking garage yesterday. I was entering real slow and Bam. Looked and felt like a total idiot. There was nothing at all in front of me. I guess it sensed the dip in the floor but hard to say. I quickly turned off front and rear sensors and moved on. I'm almost used to it now to the point I pre disable then a lot when I know they might trigger. Pretty sucky RAM!

Airbearmd

Reaction score
Hey, so is anyone else’s rear parking sensors ultra sensitive, to the point of picking up things that aren’t there and the truck slamming the brakes? My truck has done is for shrubs, which is actually something. But my truck has also done it backing out of a friends driveway that is a minor incline and thinks the street is an object and smashes the brakes. Is it just me, or do others find themselves turning off certain parking sensors in seemingly ridiculous situations?
After reading other posts here regarding this issue, I thought I should weigh in. The post regarding being in drive and someone getting to close to your rear and the computer slamming on the brakes is concerning and has never happened to me. When the vehicle goes into D that feature is suppose to turn off. This feature has saved my butt several times in parking lots from the soccer Mom's in their battle wagons doing 30mph between parking lanes. I do aggree it is overly sensitive and maybe that needs a software adjustment.

supercanadian

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck the first thing I did before leaving the dealer was turn off the auto braking part. Sensors are still on but no real issues.

Hope you can get a resolve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixate

Reaction score
I shut off the auto braking. The sensors suck, my only complaint about the truck is this feature. Had the brakes slam on more than a couple times withing the first few days for no reason. Shut it off and moved on.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Have had this in my 19 LoneStar for a year. Have the dealer check it every time I take it in (oil change, recall work, etc).

They say they apply flash, but no real change. The last time, the service guy did say the have had several trucks in for the issue, but no real fix, so far.

I had a 5 300C and a 12 300S that had these sensors and never had an issue, not sure why these sensors are so bad and unfixable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I left the sensors on, but shut the auto-braking in reverse off ... A couple of unnecessary panic stops and whiplash action was plenty for me. It is odd the front sensors work when I'm in reverse, or vice versa. Or maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic for all those decades we've driven without these aids. Admittedly, I do now rely on reverse cameras more than I ever thought I would.

smashweights

Reaction score
Mine have only activated with backing up my drive and trying to inch close to the garage door with a bit too much gas. Probably was helpful. Surprised to hear the issues with it.

Jallenb11

Reaction score
Build date of 12/19 and couldn't back out of my drive this morning until I shut off auto braking. About lost my (stuff) trying to figure out why I couldn't back up.

derp

Reaction score
Today my overprotective park sensors emergency braked on me while pulling into a parallel parking spot. There were no cars behind me, but the 6 inch curb was triggering the braking.

I just tell passengers to get out before I park the truck in a lot these days. less total distraction, and if the emergency stop engages, it isn't so embarrasing.

"I swear I didn't hit anything, the truck was just afraid I was about to!"

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Build date of 12/19 and couldn't back out of my drive this morning until I shut off auto braking. About lost my (stuff) trying to figure out why I couldn't back up.
Is there a way to keep the sensors active but deactivate the auto braking? I’ve turned off my rear sensors because of the auto braking for no reason

Users who are viewing this thread