5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self Applied Ceramic Coating Reviews

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen a plethora of information on this forum for professionally applied ceramic coatings. As some have expressed I am a little skeptical to spend $1,500-2,000 on a coating.

That got my looking into self applied coatings. I’ve been looking at something like gTechniqs Crystal serum lite kit. ( link below)

Has anyone used this, if so how was the application process, easy to make mistakes, how much paint prep did it require, and lastly how did it turn out?

If you haven’t used something like this what have you used? Hybrid waxes, hybrid ceramic sprays?

Thanks for any replies!

diamondmi

Reaction score
I’ve seen a plethora of information on this forum for professionally applied ceramic coatings. As some have expressed I am a little skeptical to spend $1,500-2,000 on a coating.

That got my looking into self applied coatings. I’ve been looking at something like gTechniqs Crystal serum lite kit. ( link below)

Has anyone used this, if so how was the application process, easy to make mistakes, how much paint prep did it require, and lastly how did it turn out?

If you haven’t used something like this what have you used? Hybrid waxes, hybrid ceramic sprays?

Thanks for any replies!

Looks interesting. Would like to know how difficult it is to apply. Also, if this is applied, will it make putting Expel paint protector on more difficult?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck going through final inspection.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Looks interesting. Would like to know how difficult it is to apply. Also, if this is applied, will it make putting Expel paint protector on more difficult?

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck going through final inspection.

FYI... You can't put Expel over ceramic coating, it won't adhere.

Damion

Reaction score
i use the mothers CMX on my truck. Easy to apply and does the job very well. Will it last as long as a professional job? Probably not, but the hour or so it takes to apply doesn’t bother me to do every few months.

It is extremely hydrophobic and washes clean easily. For the 30 dollars or so it cost for the bottle I think it’s well worth it. I did my ‘16 twice my ‘19 once and still have almost 3/4 of the bottle left over.

dsn112

Reaction score
Applying a ceramic is the same as anything else. Even coat, and wipe it off. Problem is prep is more important, so if you can't do a true machine polish, it might not look great.

The myth that you can't apply film over it is exactly that. You absolutely can, however I would prefer to film first, then coat the film too.

ericd

Reaction score
I used Color N Drive ceramic coating. It seems like it turned out ok. I didn't do a ton of paint prep other than wash and clay bar. It took almost all day. I don't notice much of a shine difference but the water beads up just like a fresh wax. The white color of the truck may also be helping hide any application mistakes. All in all im pretty happy with the end result for $60 vs $4,000

Standrk

Reaction score
I have used the GTechniq ceramic coatings before. I used it on my Challenger last year. It's really all about the prep work. I started with washing the vehicle with dawn and then clay baring the entire thing. After that I did a two stage polish using a Rupes DA Polisher with Rupes Polish. I then cleaned the entire car using Gtechniqs Panel wipe but you can use 50/50 rubbing alcohol solution. The I applied the Crystal Serum Light and then the EXO V3. It is pretty straight forward when it comes to application. If you have ever had waxed a car you can do it. You just need to break the car into 2'X2' sections. I was told not to waste money on fancy applicators. Go to the grocery store or CVS and buy the disposable makeup pads. I used each pad twice. So 4 drops or so, apply, and then repeat. After that I threw it away and used a new one. I also bought a large pack of microfiber towels on amazon. The cheap ones from the parts store are horrible. Too much lint. just follow the instructional videos on their we page. The car looks amazing and is ultra hydrophobic. Worth every penny to me. I plan on doing my Ram when it cools off a bit. Hope this helps a bit.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both good replies, thanks for the insight on your experiences. One thing I read somewhere about the Crystal Serum was that it needs to sit inside a garage for a day or two during the application process. Sadly for me my truck doesn't fit in the garage and I don't have a long enough driveway to just throw a pop up tent or two over it.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
I used GYEON Q2 Mohs kit on my ram the first weekend. It had a few flaws which were easy to repair. The process is no hard than polishing a car, it just takes time and patience. Start to finish probably took 6 or 7 hours.

I did two coats and I use Gyeon cure with each wash after. It's pretty hydrophobic makes the pearl in the paint pop but the ease of which the dirt comes off the paint is the real benefit.

If you're not comfortable fixing the paint issues that exist first, I wouldn't attempt it.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
Dare I ask if anyone uses Meguiars?!?
I used it on my Altima but I did ZERO paint correction and it looked and worked great.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dare I ask if anyone uses Meguiars?!?
I used it on my Altima but I did ZERO paint correction and it looked and worked great.

I have actually been looking at the meguiars hybrid wax and the mother’s cmx. Probably going to go with one of them. I’ve seen pretty good things about the meguiars so far.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
The Meguiars product isn’t a full ceramic coating and won’t last as long. Think of it as a ceramic coating lite.
I used Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0. I followed all of the steps they recommend on their website even though I didn’t think some were necessary. Except I polished my truck twice before putting on the ceramic coating. Used a very fine polish the second time. The lighting in my garage wasn’t good enough and I missed wiping a couple spots off good enough. I thought it was perfect until I got outside in the sunlight. Nobody else will ever see the spots but it is driving me nuts so I may have to redo those places. I have since upgraded the lighting in my garage. The shine and slickness are great. Dust doesn’t stick to my truck as much as it would if it was waxed which is what I was after since my Longhorn is black.
You do have to keep the truck dry for at least 24 to 48 hours. If you don’t have a way to keep it dry, I would suggest not using the ceramic coating until you find a way to do so. Carpro emphasizes keeping it dry and keeping bird poop off for 24-48 hours

agjr85

Reaction score
That cure time is what may kill you. You would have wasted all that prep time and to not allow it to cure would suck.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like Kxlexus, I did the UK 3.0 myself. It was a little more grabby than I anticipated, but fine enough to use. It really isn't that difficult to do. I did not polish my truck first, as I did it right after receiving it and it was in almost perfect condition from a scratch/swirl standpoint. I followed all the other steps CarPro lists out though. Overall, the truck looks great and is so much easier to clean.

I did have one issue on the hood a couple months after application. Two lines formed where ice had been frozen. CarPro told me that was impossible to have been caused by the frozen water and that some other chemical must have done it. That wouldn't make sense to me though, as first no chemicals were on my truck, and second, how would they have affected only these two lines where the water was draining off? Either way, I still have some UK 3.0 and I plan to lightly polish the hood with Reflect and then recoat it. If it fails prematurely, I'll switch to the Crystal serum light or something similar.

But to echo other comments, if you can't let it cure, I'm not sure I'd invest the time into it. Even sealants want a cure time of 12 hours at least.

TSG305

Reaction score
Add me as a fan of Gtechniq CSL. One benefit I noticed immediately was how slick the paint felt after applying it. Great hydrophobic properties. As others have mentioned application is easy enough, but prep work was the most time consuming. I was foolish to let the dealer wash mine before taking delivery and got their special swirl n' scratch package. I was astonished to see how bad the paint condition was (Black Diamond Pearl). Spent probably 8-10 hours polishing out the scratches with a DA polisher before applying the CSL. Overall I'm pleased with the results.

AMG16

Reaction score
I used CarPro and lover it, but most of these coatings are all superior products. Like others have stated the prep work is key.!! You don’t want to coat with swirls since you would locking them underneath the coating.

I plan on using Wolfgang finishing glaze and then coating my ram. It says glaze, but it’s a light polish. Great for a new car that has light swirls.

Used it on my kia and it can out amazing!

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I used GYEON Q2 Mohs kit on my ram the first weekend. It had a few flaws which were easy to repair. The process is no hard than polishing a car, it just takes time and patience. Start to finish probably took 6 or 7 hours.

I did two coats and I use Gyeon cure with each wash after. It's pretty hydrophobic makes the pearl in the paint pop but the ease of which the dirt comes off the paint is the real benefit.

If you're not comfortable fixing the paint issues that exist first, I wouldn't attempt it.
6-8 hours? I spent 30+ hours on a close to perfect new truck that needed little correction. Then again I'm OCD on another level.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I have the Adams kit out in the garage waiting to get applied. I usually use Sonax CC36 which holds up about a year or so but have always liked Adams products so wanted to give it a try on the Rebel. Will use their light correcting polish on an orange pad with the DA first. I think they claim 18-24 month duration on this.

Here's my last Sonax job, probably 4 hours into it. Don't need it any shinier lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
9b0ebe95272bc4d4288bf766a7975900.jpg

Last edited:

Evoking1230

Reaction score
I have the Adams kit out in the garage waiting to get applied. I usually use Sonax which holds up about a year or so but have always liked Adams products so wanted to give it a try on the Rebel. Will use their light correcting polish on an orange pad with the DA first. I think they claim 18-24 month duration on this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also looking into the Adams line as well. Let us know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread