5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security system is not included/standard? WTH?!

dsmonline

Reaction score
When my Security Alarm is armed, I do not have a Security Alarm light blinking in my instrument cluster as described in the manual. I do have the alarm on the truck as it is shown on my build sheet and I tested it using the open window method. It is arming and it is working as it is suppose to, just no blinking light in the dash. Does anyone that has the Security Alarm also have the blinking light (fast at first, then slowly till disarmed)? My other vehicles all have a blinking light. If others have the blinking Security Alarm light, I will need to have the dealer take a look at why mine does not.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my Security Alarm is armed, I do not have a Security Alarm light blinking in my instrument cluster as described in the manual. I do have the alarm on the truck as it is shown on my build sheet and I tested it using the open window method. It is arming and it is working as it is suppose to, just no blinking light in the dash. Does anyone that has the Security Alarm also have the blinking light (fast at first, then slowly till disarmed)? My other vehicles all have a blinking light. If others have the blinking Security Alarm light, I will need to have the dealer take a look at why mine does not.

Mine Security Alarm light is blinking, i may test it later on today to see the Security Alarm thing really working or not if i remember.

Rick J

Reaction score
My limited has a red blinking light in the upper right quadrant of the instrument cluster. Fast at first and then slows down just as you described.

dsmonline

Reaction score
That settles it, I should have a blinking light. I will have to add this to my list for the dealer service department to look at down the road, I want to wait till there is a more serious issue to address before taking her in tho.

Timmy0278

Reaction score
That settles it, I should have a blinking light. I will have to add this to my list for the dealer service department to look at down the road, I want to wait till there is a more serious issue to address before taking her in tho.

The light needs to be enabled. Activating the alarm does not activate the light. The light has it‘s own activation switch. I think its ”CBC Vehicle Theft Warning light NO” it needs to be YES.

Timmy0278

Reaction score
The light needs to be enabled. Activating the alarm does not activate the light. The light has it‘s own activation switch. I think its ”CBC Vehicle Theft Warning light NO” it needs to be YES.

^^^^^ That’s assuming you’ve activated your factory alarm using ALPHA OBD.

dsmonline

Reaction score

Actually, the alarm was activated from the factory and works as it should, just no light. I am sure it will be an easy fix for the dealer to correct if it is indeed just a setting within their tech system.

Konrad

Reaction score
Actually, the alarm was activated from the factory and works as it should, just no light. I am sure it will be an easy fix for the dealer to correct if it is indeed just a setting within their tech system.

I'm sure that will be an easy fix. Also, apparently my dealer's rate is $10,000/hour for such services. I witnessed how they charged a gentleman $125 for activating OEM bed lights he installed himself. Took them all 45 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bighorn Level 2 with security alarm. Have the light but I wouldn't know it if the forum did not point it out. Barely noticeable from outside the car in daytime.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Just tried mine had key inside house,locked it with window down and open door through the inside and wow it is loud!!!!

LoL

I thought about doing that too ... then it passed as I’ve done enough damage to my hearing with the sound system

Raydar

Reaction score
I'm sure that will be an easy fix. Also, apparently my dealer's rate is $10,000/hour for such services. I witnessed how they charged a gentleman $125 for activating OEM bed lights he installed himself. Took them all 45 seconds.

Yeah... That's one thing that really chaps my azz about FCA. The needed hardware is there (ignoring the hood switch) but you have to pay their service department's rates (usually at a 1 hour minimum, even if it only takes ten minutes) to get this stuff turned on. My selling dealer wanted like $165 to enable my trailer brake controller, after I installed it. A dealer across town quoted me $75, which was sort of acceptable, except that it was across town. (i.e., 50 miles across Atlanta.)
When I started thinking about adding the security system too, AlfaOBD became much more realistic.

To answer a couple of previous questions...
In AlfaOBD, you will need to choose "yes" for the Theft Alarm dropdown, and THEN choose "yes" to have the LED enabled. (I don't recall that it actually mentions that the LED is for the theft alarm. It's kind of cryptic.)
When I first turned on my alarm system, I didn't realize that. The alarm worked as designed, but the lack of an indicator made me unsure of whether I had activated it correctly, so I backed out the change.

Edit - Remember... If they ever have to flash the BCM to upgrade firmware, or whatever, there's a really good chance that any changes that you have made using AlfaOBD will be over-written. You'll have to do it again.

Last edited:

Rons5thgen

Reaction score

OK guys, why can't l find the vehicle theft alarm sale code for 2019 ram at all? Somebody knows something... l have alphobd, is that all l need?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is a hoot! Doors open? Doors closed? Arm every time? You just close the door and either lock it with the fob, door handle button if you have one, or hit the door lock button on the door trim panel before closing door. Same as my last 10 vehicles. Lol

Belowjo

Reaction score
This was a pretty long thread for a mfrg alarm availability. I had to check mines after reading though. Works as designed after I locked with fob. I can see light on the instrument cluster flashing also.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After locking electrically/closing doors etc. look for the indicator flashing rapidly above the speedometer. It will do that for 16 seconds as stated in the manual and then flash slowly indicating the alarm is set. How easy is that? As already stated, just like probably 99% of all vehicles in the history of car alarms.

Don't be too concerned though. Have you ever done anything when you heard a car alarm going of except said to yourself "I wish that would stop" LOL
i just went to the window to see if my truck light is flashing...it is.all this time i never paid it any attention :LOL: :LOL: (y)

yellowboy

Reaction score
You know how I found out I had it ? I locked my truck in the driveway one day and left the drivers window down. I did not have the fob with me so I reached in to open the door from the inside - scared the crap out of me o_O

Users who are viewing this thread