5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security system is not included/standard? WTH?!

Raydar

Reaction score
After playing with the fob and door locks, and after having consulted the user guide, I must conclude that the security system (you know... the one that blows the horn and flashes the lights, when someone breaks in) is NOT included. IN A $48,000 TRUCK!
WHY NOT?! All the hardware is there. Why must FCA "nickel and dime" their customers, just to enable this most basic of features? I am beyond pizzed. Every... EVERY vehicle that I have purchased since 2001 has had this feature included. Even the most basic ones.
Nice job, guys. Stellar.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huh, I'll have to check my truck - what did you do to simulate a break in?

Arm the truck w/window down
take the fob ~30' away
wait about 60sec just to be safe
reach in and open door?

Raydar

Reaction score
Rolled the window down just enough to reach in.
Locked the doors with two presses of the fob. (Got the "horn and lights" ACK.)
Took the fob into the garage, away from the truck.
Went back out and reached through the window, and pulled up the lock button.
Opened the door.
I was greeted by silence.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well that seems quite odd - I'll try the same; I haven't tripped my alarm yet, but I'll see if i can force it

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also saw your other thread (and commenting here as suggested) have you run your vin through the build sheet lookup tool?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even my 14 basic Big Horn had security. Remove the battery from your fob and then use the key to unlock it. Should sound the alarm.....mine always did.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build has the security honk. Make sure you don't have your key fob anywhere close to the vehicle when attempting the test. I had mine in my pocket and my security honk alarm did not activate until I placed it like 50ft outside the vicinity of the truck. It may be a product of an intuitive system where the close keyfob proximity will not activate the honking in the event you have windows down and open the door manually.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was about the say the same thing, if your key is anywhere around your the alarm will be disarmed.

Use the roll-down window trick or use the auxiliary key that is part of your fob.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtr

Raydar

Reaction score
Okay. Maybe I need to try it one more time. The fob was a good truck-length away when I opened the door. Maybe I need to carry it to the other end of the basement, and wait a bit longer.

Build sheet lookup tool? I was able to save a PDF of my window sticker, but I'm guessing you are talking about something different. Have you got a link? (If it's not handy, I can search it up.)
My window sticker includes "Remote Keyless Entry with All-Secure" and "Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System".
As I mentioned, someplace, I do not get the flashing "security" indicator in the cluster.

Raydar

Reaction score
Went and tried it again. This time I took the fob almost to the other end of the house. Waited several minutes while I was working on something else.
Reached in and opened the door. Nothing.
Strangely enough, I received a vehicle quality feedback questionnaire today. Absolutely blasted CFA, for this. Otherwise, my truck is just about perfect.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Just tried mine had key inside house,locked it with window down and open door through the inside and wow it is loud!!!!

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
VEHICLE SECURITY ALARM :

To Arm The System
Follow these steps to arm the vehicle security alarm:
1. Make sure the vehicle ignition system is "OFF."
2. Perform one of the following methods to lock the vehicle:

• Push lock button on the interior power door lock switch
with the driver and/or passenger door open.
• Push the lock button on the exterior Passive Entry Door
Handle with a valid key fob available in the same exte-
rior zone (refer to "Keyless Enter- N-Go — Passive
Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for further
information).
• Push the lock button on the key fob.
3. If any doors are open, close them.
The vehicle security alarm will set when you use the power
door locks, or use the key fob to lock the doors. After all the doors are locked and closed, the vehicle security light, in the instrument panel cluster, will flash rapidly for about 16
seconds to indicate that the alarm is being set. After the
alarm is set, the vehicle security light will flash at a slower
rate to indicate that the system is armed

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Dumb question:

Do you have to do this EVERY TIME YOU EXIT the truck - or just once to enable and then it arms every time?

Surprised they don't just enable during "dealer prep".

Regards,

Rick

VEHICLE SECURITY ALARM :

To Arm The System
Follow these steps to arm the vehicle security alarm:
1. Make sure the vehicle ignition system is "OFF."
2. Perform one of the following methods to lock the vehicle:

• Push lock button on the interior power door lock switch
with the driver and/or passenger door open.
• Push the lock button on the exterior Passive Entry Door
Handle with a valid key fob available in the same exte-
rior zone (refer to "Keyless Enter- N-Go — Passive
Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for further
information).
• Push the lock button on the key fob.
3. If any doors are open, close them.
The vehicle security alarm will set when you use the power
door locks, or use the key fob to lock the doors. After all the doors are locked and closed, the vehicle security light, in the instrument panel cluster, will flash rapidly for about 16
seconds to indicate that the alarm is being set. After the
alarm is set, the vehicle security light will flash at a slower
rate to indicate that the system is armed

cra1g

Reaction score
Dumb question:

Do you have to do this EVERY TIME YOU EXIT the truck - or just once to enable and then it arms every time?

Surprised they don't just enable during "dealer prep".

Regards,

Rick

All it's saying is that you have to turn off the ignition, lock the truck*, and close the doors. So yes, you have to do that every time.

* you just can't use the physical key or the lock posts on the doors to lock it--has to be the fob or the power lock button.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
That's about THE.DUMBEST.THING I've ever heard.

You have to ARM the system EVERY TIME?

Another thing that's kinda weird (coming from a Honda Pilot Touring) is, that it doesn't do a walk-away lock (that is, truck autolocks if the FOB isn't in range). One of the reasons I went with the RAM Limited (over the competition), is the feature set (adaptive cruise control was a deal breaker) that even the Top Of The Line competitors didn't have (F-150 Platinum, GMC Denali) - plus the ride is outstanding on the Limited (with the air suspension - only the F-150 Platinum CAME CLOSE).

So you have to lock it with the door open, then lock it again - EVERY TIME?

Buncha BS -one more thing to remember...

Rick

All it's saying is that you have to turn off the ignition, lock the truck*, and close the doors. So yes, you have to do that every time.

* you just can't use the physical key or the lock posts on the doors to lock it--has to be the fob or the power lock button.

Glenn54

Reaction score
OP, I did the same as you but my alarm went off. I would think your truck should have the same alarm. I did not have to do any arming. Also, I recently opened my tailgate with the FOB in my pocket at the alarm went off. I guess I could have accidentally hit the Alarm button on the FOB while it was in my pocket.

Rick J

Reaction score
That's about THE.DUMBEST.THING I've ever heard.

You have to ARM the system EVERY TIME?

Another thing that's kinda weird (coming from a Honda Pilot Touring) is, that it doesn't do a walk-away lock (that is, truck autolocks if the FOB isn't in range). One of the reasons I went with the RAM Limited (over the competition), is the feature set (adaptive cruise control was a deal breaker) that even the Top Of The Line competitors didn't have (F-150 Platinum, GMC Denali) - plus the ride is outstanding on the Limited (with the air suspension - only the F-150 Platinum CAME CLOSE).

Buncha BS -one more thing to remember...

Rick
I think you are mis-understanding how it works. If the door is open, you can push the door panel lock button (not the lock stem) and shut the door, you can push the lock button in the handle when the door is open or closed or you can push the lock button on the fob with the door open or closed. Any of these set the alarm when you close the door if not already closed.

Security System Manual Override: The vehicle security alarm will not arm/disarm if you lock/unlock the doors using the manual door lock plunger.

Works the same as other vehicles I have owned.

cra1g

Reaction score

Rick

No. You have to turn it off, the doors have to be closed and locked (not necessarily in that order), and the locking has to be done electrically, not with the physical key or the posts on top of the doors.

Klute

Reaction score
So your FOB has to 50 feet away for the alarm to work? That's crazy. Your truck parked in the driveway and be broken into and alarm does not go off b/c the FOB is 30 feet away? Never heard of/thought of this before.

So you need to put your FOB in a Faraday Box/Bag?

Users who are viewing this thread