5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Thoughts on Purchasing....reliability concerns...

cruz-in

Reaction score
Hi,
We have negotiated $13K off a loaded Long Horn or Laramie (wife can chose which interior she wants). We are ready to go view one last time and make final purchase decision today.

However, the multiple reports of similar problems (in particular A/C, and Water Leaks) has us reconsidering spending this much on a first year of a fully designed truck..

Anyone else have purchase worries because of quality/reliability concerns?

Thanks
Dan

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want a 19 really bad but my current 15 is perfectly fine and has less than 30k miles on it. I decided pretty early on that I would let FCA work the kinks out of the new truck and wait until next year to buy and I’ve exercised restraint. However if the perfectly optioned truck just happened to appear on my local dealers lot tomorrow, I might just have to go get it.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Hi,
We have negotiated $13K off a loaded Long Horn or Laramie (wife can chose which interior she wants). We are ready to go view one last time and make final purchase decision today.

However, the multiple reports of similar problems (in particular A/C, and Water Leaks) has us reconsidering spending this much on a first year of a fully designed truck..

Anyone else have purchase worries because of quality/reliability concerns?

Thanks
Dan
I shared those concerns when buying a limited. Ultimately, I went ahead and bought. When you’re buying new, you have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. And if you get a dud, states have pretty good lemon laws.

Additionally, you have to weigh the amount of people taking about their issues on this forum to the actual number of trucks out there. People are more likely to come to forums with problems because they’re searching for help. The people with 0 problems are less likely to join forums or speak up.

Just my 2 cents.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Ditto what Gatornation said. It’s unfortunate that some here have had real issues but I for one have have only 1 minor issue and wouldn’t hesitate for a minute to go buy again if something were to happen to my 19. You ask me, I’d say go for it but if you ask one of the few who have major issues, they very well may tell you to go buy elsewhere. Boils down to your comfort level.

stevetom84

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, but decided to go ahead and order my truck. It seems like FCA has been pretty proactive about fixing some of the common issues with TSBs and software updates. If you decide to purchase, I would check the build date and require that all applicable TSBs and software updates are done before taking delivery.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dan, everyone has some purchase worries, especially in a first year major updated vehicle. You see the range of great to lemon, it’s a crap shoot. Every manufacturer has issues, bro.

My Laramie A/C works great. I run my truck through a pressurized water shower at work almost daily, not a single drop of moisture in the cab, (no sunroof).

As posted, the bumper to bumper warranty will cover any issue.

hopefully you get competent service department to take care of your issues if they do happen.

I just wish the updated and refined EcoDiesel was available at the time of purchase, I really like that power plant.

Last edited:

immersivenc

Reaction score
Our opinions are shaped by our personal experiences, but I would advise you to wait.

Mine had major issues and I’m just now wrapping up the lemon process. Trust me when I say you don’t want to have to put yourself in a position where you have to use the lemon law. Most of the people that throw it around like it’s some kind of painless and easy process have obviously never had to use it before.

Additionally, those who say FCA is doing a great job issuing TSB’s and other bulletins are incorrect and you don’t want to have to deal with FCA at the corporate level like I had to. Saying the warranty will cover everything is naive at best, FCA has had trouble diagnosing and fixing numerous issues with this first model year. It also doesn’t mean you won’t be shuffling back and forth to the dealer and if this is your only vehicle it could be a real problem with your work schedule and personal obligations.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brand new Rebel here looked at the drains for the roof they were installed good as shown on this forum had the shop flash the stereo for latest update pleased to state NO problems truck is awesome. Don’t let the few with problems deter you. I’m not minimizing their situation but yes amount sold to amount with issues a non issue. Also new truck warranty drive and enjoy it’s just a truck it’s not your health

Zinger

Reaction score
Dan, I am in the same boat as you. I've settled on what I want and was ready to pick one up, but I've decided to cool my jets until the initial quality issues are resolved. There are just too many reported issues at this time. Yes, they are getting resolved, and yes, there is the warranty, but who wants the hassle of getting things fixed? Not me. I just want my truck to work.

I'm not towing my camper around until April and my current rig is perfectly functional, so it's not a hard decision to wait.

stevetom84

Reaction score
One other thing, probably what's more important than FCA corporate is having a good local dealer with a great service department. A crappy service department can make for an awful experience, regardless of the severity of the problem.

tpartain

Reaction score
I shared those concerns when buying a limited. Ultimately, I went ahead and bought. When you’re buying new, you have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. And if you get a dud, states have pretty good lemon laws.

Additionally, you have to weigh the amount of people taking about their issues on this forum to the actual number of trucks out there. People are more likely to come to forums with problems because they’re searching for help. The people with 0 problems are less likely to join forums or speak up.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. One more point to illuminate is that FCA builds over 5000 trucks every week so the number of people on the forum with problems is minuscule.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here’s my 0.02 for what it’s worth...

I bought my Limited in early July, so almost 6 months old, and I have had nothing but a grin every time I get in my truck and drive it. It has been almost perfect, with the exception of minor things that were fixed (the first time) by my dealer.

- Those were the brake squeal (dealer replaced rotors and new re-designed pads). Been squeal free for about two months now.
- AC cooling not optimal (dealer found refrigerant low from factory. They topped it off and problem solved).
- Glovebox ambient lighting out (dealer replaced LED unit).
- Center dash lid squeak (dealer replaced lid).

I also had two or three intermittent UConnect black screens early on, which were fixed with OTA update.

Just yesterday I had an issue with my overhead console’s upper buttons and lights go dark. Turns out there was a bad connection with a plug. Reseated plugs and all is well.

That’s it. In my case, no clunks when turning, no leaks of any kind, or windshield condensation. My air suspension works w/o issues every time I manually raise or lower it. No rattles or noise, or issues with fit, finish, or drivetrain. Even the tonneau cover is great and surprisingly keeps water out of the bed even in the heaviest thunderstorms.

Like others have said, we are a very small sample of all the owners out there, so people come to forums mainly when they have issues, and even then, folks on this site have been more on the positive side of ownership then not.

Would I buy my truck again? Absolutely!

Cheers,
Neurobit BDDD04ED-B3F1-40D8-8F72-68F42D23B611.jpeg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have an extra vehicle, don't hesitate. Having owned a 4th Gen 2500 that had very few issues, but spent lots of time at the dealer to fix...a 2nd vehicle or a great dealership is a must.

The only real reason to not, is if you are waiting for a possible trim package that hasn't showed up yet. If it is a realistic want...like (Rebel 12 or Canadian Sport or North Edition turned out)...that can be had with time(6'4 Rambox...eventually? ) then wait.

If you don't need the new truck, then take some time and wait.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the 5th Gen numerous times, my only reason to not...the 4.5 HD and a certain 4th Gen HD that still hasn't sold.

But I got extra vehicles and only live 3 blocks from work...so it is easy for me to deal with any issues.

The great builds are out there, just keep not there are bad ones.

Go to the dealership with the info here, from the delivery checklist to the TSB info, to the horror stories of a bad egg.

Good luck in the decision you make,

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues with my ordered truck built in late May.

Take a look on the F150 forum and read all the issues other brands have... it's honestly the luck of the draw. My 2014 F150 was flawless, 2016 F150 only had issues with the frozen door locks that Ford couldn't resolve.

7200 miles on the Ram and loving it. Sounds like your getting a solid deal... buy buy buy!!

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has been great (Knock on wood) only minor cosmetic items and flash update for rear park sensors that would brake for no reason that have been fixed by that dealer.

Mopar offers lifetime warranty as well. Which I have.

Best bet is to buy one with a more recent build date. I got mine back in May with a May build date.

14000 miles on mine already.
IMG_9721.jpg

cruz-in

Reaction score
Thanks team....gonna buy it....wife/I love the long horn interior in two tone brown without the filagree (sp). Pictures really don't do it justice. Has every option the limited has (retractable running boards, air ride, etc.) plus etorque, 3.93 Locking Rear, all the electronic safety stuff, and Trailer brake controller (did not want to lose the surround view).

It is an 8/18 build so all the IIHS crash test results apply. With rebates (we only qualified for the general public ones, none of thee conditional ones) we got $13+K off MSRP.

Had planned to wait till spring. However, the reported expiration of the Forever Warranty motivated us to move sooner. $2990 for a Forever Bumper-to-bumper warranty on a $68K tech heavy truck is, IMHO a bargain....and I never purchase extended warranties...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over the holidays I listened to a person grieve about a number of issues with his brand new truck that is now in its third year of the generation. A couple of these were moderately serious, in my opinion, and each of them would be totally dissatisfying. He, too, is dealing with the manufacturer and not very happy with the results so far.

It was NOT a Ram. Which means you could be taking a risk even with a more mature model.

When I ordered my 2019 in April I knew the vehicle was being built in a new assembly plant, with all new equipment, and by a staff that had never built Ram trucks before. Even though I hoped differently, I was not surprised to have some quality issues. But my dealer has taken care of every single one without any fuss, leaving me with the most satisfying vehicle I've owned in over 25 years.

The servicing dealer can make a big difference, either positively or negatively, when these early build issues show up.

It so happens I haven't had any of the 'common' issues you've read about on this site. Uconnect works fine (I don't have the 12 inch), AC works fine, no clunks or water leaks. My three problems were purely cosmetic.

Best of luck,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006538 miles.

steveved

Reaction score
No regrets at all with my Laramie either. I have had it 7 weeks now and have put 4500 miles on it. The only issues I have had are the occasional clunk in the front end when turning (yes, I know there is a TSB out there, but since it only happens occasionally, I doubt it will happen when the dealer can hear it) AND the squealing brakes.

For the squealing brakes, I just turn up the stereo for now. I suppose I could take it to the dealer and get them to replace the pads. But, I am waiting for stop tech or EBC to come out with cryo treated rotors and better pads. The brakes are good, but the stop tech stuff I put on my 2014 Silverado stopped way better. So, I will live with the noise until I can do a proper upgrade.

This model has been out nearly 7 months now. Cannot fathom why it is taking so long for the brake manufacturers to come out with upgraded stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread