5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Thoughts on Purchasing....reliability concerns...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This model has been out nearly 7 months now. Cannot fathom why it is taking so long for the brake manufacturers to come out with upgraded stuff.

First, there is little pressure on aftermarket parts makers with a vehicle so new. In the first year the demand for brake pads, rotor, calipers is going to be extremely low since most owners are going to be well under the mileage, on average, that would require replacements.

Second is the acquisitions of parts, like pad backers, rotor and caliper blanks. Aftermarket suppliers are faced with either buying blanks from the manufacturer (or OEM vendor), or making them. And that is IF the OEM wants to sell blanks, although they usually do.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006538 miles.

steveved

Reaction score
@Dusty1948, I hear you.

But with all of the documented cases of brake squeal on this forum alone, I think the aftermarket is missing out on a money-making opportunity here. I seriously doubt that I am the only person here who would rather just get better aftermarket pads, then have the dealer replace the squealing pads with other OEM pads.

So, I would think it is in the aftermarket manufacturers' best interest to get something on the market.

Just my 2 cents. I will continue to wait, somewhat, patiently...

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Our opinions are shaped by our personal experiences, but I would advise you to wait.

Mine had major issues and I’m just now wrapping up the lemon process. Trust me when I say you don’t want to have to put yourself in a position where you have to use the lemon law. Most of the people that throw it around like it’s some kind of painless and easy process have obviously never had to use it before.

Additionally, those who say FCA is doing a great job issuing TSB’s and other bulletins are incorrect and you don’t want to have to deal with FCA at the corporate level like I had to. Saying the warranty will cover everything is naive at best, FCA has had trouble diagnosing and fixing numerous issues with this first model year. It also doesn’t mean you won’t be shuffling back and forth to the dealer and if this is your only vehicle it could be a real problem with your work schedule and personal obligations.
Just wondering if you would mind elaborating on what issue/s you have encountered that let you complete the lemon law. I've heard it's not an easy process to complete.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Dusty1948, I hear you.

But with all of the documented cases of brake squeal on this forum alone, I think the aftermarket is missing out on a money-making opportunity here. I seriously doubt that I am the only person here who would rather just get better aftermarket pads, then have the dealer replace the squealing pads with other OEM pads.

So, I would think it is in the aftermarket manufacturers' best interest to get something on the market.

Just my 2 cents. I will continue to wait, somewhat, patiently...

I understand.

I thought I had read somewhere on this site that there is a factory pad replacement made from different material available that addresses this problem, and that they are replaced under warrantee.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006538 miles.

steveved

Reaction score
I read the same thing... But I still want an EBC, Performance friction or Stop Tech pad. They usually improve stopping distance over stock.

Pringles can

Reaction score
Hi,
We have negotiated $13K off a loaded Long Horn or Laramie (wife can chose which interior she wants). We are ready to go view one last time and make final purchase decision today.

However, the multiple reports of similar problems (in particular A/C, and Water Leaks) has us reconsidering spending this much on a first year of a fully designed truck..

Anyone else have purchase worries because of quality/reliability concerns?

Thanks
Dan
I have 2300 miles on my 2019 and regret ever buying it! Steering issues,arm rest squeks,radio doesn't turn on sometimes,sometimes it lugs at low rpms,Brakes squeal horribly!! I miss my 2016 sport. Will be my last ram. Been a loyal customer since 1996 even with transmition issues back then. Toyota here I come.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2300 miles on my 2019 and regret ever buying it! Steering issues,arm rest squeks,radio doesn't turn on sometimes,sometimes it lugs at low rpms,Brakes squeal horribly!! I miss my 2016 sport. Will be my last ram. Been a loyal customer since 1996 even with transmition issues back then. Toyota here I come.

Get on with it, and go buy the Toyota. News Flash....They have problems too. These posts really get me going especially a person who comes on here and 1st post is bashing the truck without even seeking guidance or assistance.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never been interested in FCA before, but we took the plunge on a new Limited and have been enjoying the heck out of it. No other manufacturer is on the same plane with 1/2 ton pickups. The interior is nicer than the 2016 Mercedes Benz GL 450 that the truck replaced.

Pringles can

Reaction score
Get on with it, and go buy the Toyota. News Flash....They have problems too. These posts really get me going especially a person who comes on here and 1st post is bashing the truck without even seeking guidance or assistance.
Ok so how many truck have you purchased New? I just had enuff of the quality issues as many people are having the EXACT Same problems! The number one complaint about the new truck is....BRAKES!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so how many truck have you purchased New? I just had enuff of the quality issues as many people are having the EXACT Same problems! The number one complaint about the new truck is....BRAKES!

6 Trucks new, 5 new cars. and sprinkled in some used ones. The brake situation has been resolved, do you have the new pads? Find a dealer that is willing to work for you.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
And if I go into Nissan, ford, Chevy, GMC, those people are having a lot of the same problems that others are in those forums.

My Silverado had zero problems but very minor annoyances, while I had a few Ford's that had horrible transmissions problems, my gf had a 2012 Silverado that always had this weird oil screen sensor go out and it was a real freaking pain in the butt to fix and it happened a lot, as well as hoses leaking. I bought her a 2018 Silverado and it runs great. I traded in my 2015 Silverado for a 2019 RAM and the only minor issue I have is the glove box is slightly crooked which they are replacing and the chrome framing on a couple of windows are not seated properly which they are fixing, this is not a problem at all.

The point here is regardless of make and model, there are good ones and bad ones, there isn't a perfect vehicle out there. So go to the dealer, get these issues even if they are minor, get them fixed.

jk101

Reaction score
Toyota is recalling 47k Tacoma’s. Ford is recalling almost 850k F Series trucks. Buying any brand is not a guarantee nor increased odds that you won’t get a truck with issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/