5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seats comparison, Laramie Longhorn or Limited?

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Yet, I haven't seen any formal comparison for different trims of seating anywhere, neither on forums nor on Youtube. I am almost on the market for a Ram1500, My main focus is on Laramie, Longhorn or Limited. I drive average 30k miles a year. Therefore I am looking a comfort ride for myself, and my family sometimes. I have been test driving for a couple of times. I personally feel Limited has softest, the most comfortable seats. Surprisingly the seats on Laramie are softer, and more comfortable then Longhorn's. By appearance I like Longhorn's look the most, in and out, but never thought the seats are so firm. Has anyone notice it? Did I test a wrong Longhorn or that is what Longhorn is. BTW, it is my fist post here, and thanks in advance for any input!

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Love my Longhorn package on mine with 5% ceramic tint and doesn’t get too hot with light brown.
05329cdad5bd901fde93e0fd7495559d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Love my Longhorn package on mine with 5% ceramic tint and doesn’t get too hot with light brown.

It is a beautiful looking truck. May I ask how do you feel on a long trip with it?

derp

Reaction score
The laramie seat is the best seat i have ever put my bottom on. My understanding of the diff for a longhorn was a lot of gorgeous stitching on essentially the same seat.

In some trims you may be tempted to forgo vented seats for something elsewhere on the lot, dont.

Vented for summer, heated for winter makes life a bit more livable when you could be outside with heatstroke or frostbite.

Plus turning on pass vented seat without telling is funny.

derp

Reaction score

Please tell me more about this ceramic tint ?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yet, I haven't seen any formal comparison for different trims of seating anywhere, neither on forums nor on Youtube. I am almost on the market for a Ram1500, My main focus is on Laramie, Longhorn or Limited. I drive average 30k miles a year. Therefore I am looking a comfort ride for myself, and my family sometimes. I have been test driving for a couple of times. I personally feel Limited has softest, the most comfortable seats. Surprisingly the seats on Laramie are softer, and more comfortable then Longhorn's. By appearance I like Longhorn's look the most, in and out, but never thought the seats are so firm. Has anyone notice it? Did I test a wrong Longhorn or that is what Longhorn is. BTW, it is my fist post here, and thanks in advance for any input!
The Longhorn and Limited have (essentially) identical seats, with their leather covers (in different finishes, obviously) provided by the same manufacturer. The Laramie is somewhat different in that it’s a partial leather seat. I’d be very surprised if there’s a difference in seat construction and/or padding, particularly between the Longhorn and Limited.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
The laramie seat is the best seat i have ever put my bottom on. My understanding of the diff for a longhorn was a lot of gorgeous stitching on essentially the same seat.

In some trims you may be tempted to forgo vented seats for something elsewhere on the lot, dont.

Vented for summer, heated for winter makes life a bit more livable when you could be outside with heatstroke or frostbite.

Plus turning on pass vented seat without telling is funny.
Ventilated seat is a Must for me, but I am still debating if it is worthy to go with Longhorn or Limited to get rear seats Ventilated because it will be 2 child car seats in the rear most of the time.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
The Longhorn and Limited have (essentially) identical seats, with their leather covers (in different finishes, obviously) provided by the same manufacturer. The Laramie is somewhat different in that it’s a partial leather seat. I’d be very surprised if there’s a difference in seat construction and/or padding, particularly between the Longhorn and Limited.
Thanks a lot for the information! Both my wife and I was at the dealer once for comparing the Laramie and Longhorn the first time when we felt Laramie has better cushion that time. We will go back again for just testing out all 3 trims seats at the same time.

GerryS

Reaction score
I believe there are adjustments for lumbar support as well as tilt of the lower cushion. Perhaps they were not in the same position on the trucks you looked at, and that was the difference?

Toothninja

Reaction score
I will also add that the passenger seat is not as soft as the drivers seat. Maybe that’s because there’s not always a passenger in the truck, but after 3000 miles so far, I feel it’s noticeable. So, make sure you’re comparing drivers side to passenger side as well. I know when shopping for trucks, at times I’d just jump in the passenger seat, and say “nope, I’m out” or “ next” without even bothering to try the other one. Btw-love my longhorn! My kids are older and basically told me that there is no other truck that compares!

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I will also add that the passenger seat is not as soft as the drivers seat. Maybe that’s because there’s not always a passenger in the truck, but after 3000 miles so far, I feel it’s noticeable. So, make sure you’re comparing drivers side to passenger side as well. I know when shopping for trucks, at times I’d just jump in the passenger seat, and say “nope, I’m out” or “ next” without even bothering to try the other one. Btw-love my longhorn! My kids are older and basically told me that there is no other truck that compares!
Thanks for the input. I will spend more time to test out the Longhorn since some members in here like it and it actually was my initial pick before Limited and Laramie.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I believe there are adjustments for lumbar support as well as tilt of the lower cushion. Perhaps they were not in the same position on the trucks you looked at, and that was the difference?
Good point that you brought up. Yes if it is in the max lumbar support the seat will turns out harder than normal position. I will try out all the 3 terms' seat and update in here. Thanks!

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Just giving an update on the seats feeling from last Sunday. We went to the closest dealer and hooped in Laramie and Limited (Longhorn wasn't available by that time), confirmed that Limited has better seats in terms of softer cushion. The salesman was with us said that the seats on Longhorn are a bit stiffer than Limited's. However, I will be back for just testing out the seats between Longhorn and Limited.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just giving an update on the seats feeling from last Sunday. We went to the closest dealer and hooped in Laramie and Limited (Longhorn wasn't available by that time), confirmed that Limited has better seats in terms of softer cushion. The salesman was with us said that the seats on Longhorn are a bit stiffer than Limited's. However, I will be back for just testing out the seats between Longhorn and Limited.
It’s probably just a leather treatment / break-in issue. The seat frames and pads are almost certainly built and cut the same, leaving the leather as the most likely variable.

It’s only been 15 months, but my Longhorn leather seems to be doing very well. I see almost no discoloration, and they’ve softened a bit.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
The foam is going to soften over time (break down) Firmer is better so they'll last longer.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Go have the parts department pull the PN for both models seat cushions. Same PN, same part...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It’s probably just a leather treatment / break-in issue. The seat frames and pads are almost certainly built and cut the same, leaving the leather as the most likely variable.

It’s only been 15 months, but my Longhorn leather seems to be doing very well. I see almost no discoloration, and they’ve softened a bit.
Those of you "treating" your seats should know this isn't natural leather. Almost all automotive (and household) leather for seating is plasticized or coated leather. Nothing you treat it with is going to do anything other than end up on your clothing. Much of it is bicast, PU or Bonded leather. See all those posts about the Indigo Frost interiors cracking and peeling? That's because it's the cheapest bonded leather they could buy. Notice in the images of those posts there is a white fiber material under the "leather"? Bonded garbage.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you "treating" your seats should know this isn't natural leather. Almost all automotive (and household) leather for seating is plasticized or coated leather. Nothing you treat it with is going to do anything other than end up on your clothing. Much of it is bicast, PU or Bonded leather. See all those posts about the Indigo Frost interiors cracking and peeling? That's because it's the cheapest bonded leather they could buy. Notice in the images of those posts there is a white fiber material under the "leather"? Bonded garbage.

The same sort of 'cheap' leather found in Porsches, Cadillacs, Audis, etc., looking at GST AutoLeather's website photos (the supplier for the Longhorn and Limited interiors). I'm not questioning the idea of coated leathers, and I don't use saddle conditioner on my seats, but I certainly question the "...cheapest bonded leather they could buy" comment.

Saints

Reaction score
See all those posts about the Indigo Frost interiors cracking and peeling? That's because it's the cheapest bonded leather they could buy. Notice in the images of those posts there is a white fiber material under the "leather"? Bonded garbage.

Please stop with this as it is as far from the truth as can be. I have owned a leather repair business for the last 20+ years and I’m sorry, but you just do not know what you are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread