5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seats comparison, Laramie Longhorn or Limited?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Please stop with this as it is as far from the truth as can be. I have owned a leather repair business for the last 20+ years and I’m sorry, but you just do not know what you are talking about.
You've had the covers off a new Limited and Laramie Longhorn and personally inspected them?

BackAgain

Reaction score
Yet, I haven't seen any formal comparison for different trims of seating anywhere, neither on forums nor on Youtube. I am almost on the market for a Ram1500, My main focus is on Laramie, Longhorn or Limited. I drive average 30k miles a year. Therefore I am looking a comfort ride for myself, and my family sometimes. I have been test driving for a couple of times. I personally feel Limited has softest, the most comfortable seats. Surprisingly the seats on Laramie are softer, and more comfortable then Longhorn's. By appearance I like Longhorn's look the most, in and out, but never thought the seats are so firm. Has anyone notice it? Did I test a wrong Longhorn or that is what Longhorn is. BTW, it is my fist post here, and thanks in advance for any input!

Even my wife says the vinyl seats in my 1500 classic Tradesman are comfortable. And I agree. This is my third Chrysler/Dodge/RAM vehicle over the years, and without question the seats have been better than anything else I've driven. Even with no fancy adjustments. I can only imagine the upper trims must be like driving down the road on the sofa. :cool: My Challenger was like that,

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Even my wife says the vinyl seats in my 1500 classic Tradesman are comfortable. And I agree. This is my third Chrysler/Dodge/RAM vehicle over the years, and without question the seats have been better than anything else I've driven. Even with no fancy adjustments. I can only imagine the upper trims must be like driving down the road on the sofa. :cool: My Challenger was like that,
Nice to hear. I was pleased with the seats as well.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
The same sort of 'cheap' leather found in Porsches, Cadillacs, Audis, etc., looking at GST AutoLeather's website photos (the supplier for the Longhorn and Limited interiors). I'm not questioning the idea of coated leathers, and I don't use saddle conditioner on my seats, but I certainly question the "...cheapest bonded leather they could buy" comment.

I’m not taking sides as to if the seats are “real leather“ or not (I don’t know). But here’s a statement for what it’s worth on GST AutoLeather’s website.

”Finally, there is nothing artificial or synthetic produced at GST - only authentic REAL leather! Over time leather has remained as one of the most trusted and valued products across all industries. Long before it was the “right thing to do” leather has been one of the greatest recycleable, eco friendly stories in the world.”

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please stop with this as it is as far from the truth as can be. I have owned a leather repair business for the last 20+ years and I’m sorry, but you just do not know what you are talking about.

It is certainly not PU leather and not bonded either.... I know this because I had a ScentPortable melt and drip onto my leather seat from the sunvisor.... Needless to say the oil in the scentportable absorbed into the leather and I have scrubbed it well over 40 times to get the oil out and no flaking, cracking, peeling or anything other than just stretching and going back to shape. Now it is just a spot that keeps fading more with each scrub...

KRField

Reaction score
It is certainly not PU leather and not bonded either.... I know this because I had a ScentPortable melt and drip onto my leather seat from the sunvisor.... Needless to say the oil in the scentportable absorbed into the leather and I have scrubbed it well over 40 times to get the oil out and no flaking, cracking, peeling or anything other than just stretching and going back to shape. Now it is just a spot that keeps fading more with each scrub...

As far as the oil spot, pour talcum powder on the spot and let it sit. The longer the better should pull a majority if not all of it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saints

Reaction score
You've had the covers off a new Limited and Laramie Longhorn and personally inspected them?
I do not need to have the cover off to tell what material the seat, sofa, shoes, purse, etc... is made of. I have a Laramie in my driveway and almost bought a Limited. Ive seen a few posters on here think that just because a leather is coated that it is not “real” or “natural” leather and I can assure you that you would not enjoy leather in your car if it were not coated. An untanned or coated hide is not very luxurious. What you saw on the indigo frost leather is an adhesion problem where the coating was failing.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I do not need to have the cover off to tell what material the seat, sofa, shoes, purse, etc... is made of. I have a Laramie in my driveway and almost bought a Limited. Ive seen a few posters on here think that just because a leather is coated that it is not “real” or “natural” leather and I can assure you that you would not enjoy leather in your car if it were not coated. An untanned or coated hide is not very luxurious. What you saw on the indigo frost leather is an adhesion problem where the coating was failing.
It's semantics at this point. Seems the complaints all include Frost interior. That was my first choice until I read threads like this one. Hopefully, the YeeeeHawwwww Cowboy interior on my shiny new Laramie Longhorny will hold up to my fat **** sliding in and out a bazillion times a day.

Coated. It also means that applying "treatments" to the leather is pretty much a waste of time. The coating keeps the treatment mostly out of the hide. Would you disagree?

Capsfloyd

Reaction score
The Longhorn and Limited have (essentially) identical seats, with their leather covers (in different finishes, obviously) provided by the same manufacturer. The Laramie is somewhat different in that it’s a partial leather seat. I’d be very surprised if there’s a difference in seat construction and/or padding, particularly between the Longhorn and Limited.
Dealership gave me a limited 2500 Megacab for 2 weeks till my longhorn came in
The ride was the same , seats were very good in both trucks .

my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 crewcab Rambox hemi SLT , has the premium cloth bucket seats .
440,500 miles I’ve had my seat reformed and cloth 2xs

derp

Reaction score
I know when shopping for trucks, at times I’d just jump in the passenger seat, and say “nope, I’m out” or “ next” without even bothering to try the other one. Btw-love my longhorn! My kids are older and basically told me that there is no other truck that compares!
Im with you 100%. All car shopping starts at the seat. I have to enjoy my position before anything else goes into the decision.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as the oil spot, pour talcum powder on the spot and let it sit. The longer the better should pull a majority if not all of it out.

Thanks for that advice. I will give this a shot, see how it works and report back.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
i had both new 2019 Laramie trade for a used 2019 Limited both are comfortable , i feel the limited had more support / foam is more supported

Saints

Reaction score
Coated. It also means that applying "treatments" to the leather is pretty much a waste of time. The coating keeps the treatment mostly out of the hide. Would you disagree?
I agree. The most important thing is to keep it clean. When leather gets dirty and dirt gets into the cracks or natural creases of the leather the dirt acts like sand paper further degrading the leather. A simple wipe down with warm water and maybe a mild cleaner every other week will prolong the life of it. A lot of these products on the market that claim to condition only attract more dust and dirt.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice. I will give this a shot, see how it works and report back.

I tried the talcum powder and it may have pulled some of the scent oil out but not much. I think I am stuck with the leather stain unless I get a replacement leather seat cover which probably ain't cheap from the dealer.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
After just switching out my lemon truck - I can say the seats def soften up over time. My new LongHorn is much more firm than the one I just got rid of. Highly doubt anything changed other than me sitting on it for 15k miles.

RJS

Reaction score
I tried the talcum powder and it may have pulled some of the scent oil out but not much. I think I am stuck with the leather stain unless I get a replacement leather seat cover which probably ain't cheap from the dealer.
If it bothers you, and it would me, I'd find a local detailer with experience and see what he had to say about the stain. Some of these folks can do wonders.

KRField

Reaction score

My next step is plain clear dawn dish soap one ounce diluted in a 32oz bottle. Spray area and gently scrub with a leather brush. Then blot area with a towel. May take multiple treatments. Let the leather dry a little while between scrubbing sessions. Not allowing the leather to dry or scrubbing too aggressively will damage the coating on the leather. After a few scrubbing it is not removed then I use a highly diluted degreaser and scrub.

The talc is where I start. Always try to use the least aggressive methods first. Once removed to your satisfaction follow with a leather conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online