5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen went black

vref80

Reaction score
Have had my 12” screen go blank 4 or 5 time in the past 1.5 weeks. I have had the truck for 1.5 weeks. Had it at the dealer and they said they reset it, which didn’t help. I will be calling and having some serious words about this with the service Dept and with RAM. Can’t use phone, radio, nav, or anything associated when this happens. Also had it freeze up twice with wireless carplay on the screen.
Dash/radio dimmer also causes an issue for some reason. When going from dim to full, and back to dim, the screen flickers and jumps, and the digital clock on the top disappears and reappears. It also restarts the TOMTOM nav when done 3-4 times. I replicated that a couple times to confirm. I have video of it. Not sure how to upload the video of it
Hey Sparcky - My 2019 2500 Longhorn has been in the shop for this problem 3X. I am on my 3rd screen now and it started happening again. The **** Hannah Ram dealership in Vancouver WA just informed me that the screen protector could be the problem and that removing it would be part of the troubleshooting process. I am quite sure it will do the same thing as the previous 3, of which the first 2 never had a screen protector on it. :rolleyes: I am going to pick up tomorrow and post the outcome. Good luck.

reman

Reaction score
Today, once again I ran into a similar problem. The radio doesn't turn on, but the climate controls work and the screen responds. This is the first time I was able to document the event.

On the 2nd driving cycle the radio did turn on after about 3 minutes of driving.

usedup

Reaction score
Mine went blank the 3rd day I had it, the next it was back and after 2 months it's been ok.

Sparcky

Reaction score
Hey Sparcky - My 2019 2500 Longhorn has been in the shop for this problem 3X. I am on my 3rd screen now and it started happening again. The **** Hannah Ram dealership in Vancouver WA just informed me that the screen protector could be the problem and that removing it would be part of the troubleshooting process. I am quite sure it will do the same thing as the previous 3, of which the first 2 never had a screen protector on it. :rolleyes: I am going to pick up tomorrow and post the outcome. Good luck.
Good luck. my dealer said they are not replacing any radios until the software fix comes out.

theRamguy

Reaction score
there was a software update released recently that fixes screens going blank I'm sharing my write up on how to do it. Inside the doc is a link to the TSB that shows what issues this update should fix. I also include links to all software updates to date. I omitted PR39.7 as 39.9 supercedes it and there is no need to install 39.7

User6838738

Reaction score
Just had the same issue on my 2022. Had to preform the soft reset procedure and it worked:

Ignition to ACC > hold phone and voice button on steering wheel for 30 seconds > ignition off > open door for 30 seconds > close door > start engine

liq001

Reaction score
I just had this happen on my 2022 Ram Sport... i've had it where the screen doesn't start up but the radio does, when that happens i find that turning the headlights off and back on seem to get the screen to turn on. I've also had it were the head unit doesn't turn on at all, then after sitting for an hour or so when i start the truck up the screen work...

dealership here says they've seen it at least once before and was glad i had videos of the problems as it's proof of what has happened as it can be difficult/impossible for them to replicate it as there doesn't seem to be a set number of steps to cause it to happen, it's just random. They indicated that it could be a module that needs to be replaced, they didn't give specifics, but once I get more information i'll share it here.
did you get your screen fixed? My 2022 limited has the same issue.

liq001

Reaction score
Have had my 12” screen go blank 4 or 5 time in the past 1.5 weeks. I have had the truck for 1.5 weeks. Had it at the dealer and they said they reset it, which didn’t help. I will be calling and having some serious words about this with the service Dept and with RAM. Can’t use phone, radio, nav, or anything associated when this happens. Also had it freeze up twice with wireless carplay on the screen.
Dash/radio dimmer also causes an issue for some reason. When going from dim to full, and back to dim, the screen flickers and jumps, and the digital clock on the top disappears and reappears. It also restarts the TOMTOM nav when done 3-4 times. I replicated that a couple times to confirm. I have video of it. Not sure how to upload the video of it
Did you get it fix? Same here

jgmac98

Reaction score
did you get your screen fixed? My 2022 limited has the same issue.
No, wasn't fixed by the dealership. the warrenty claim was denied and was told to wait for a software update. Haven't had this problem since the last update (but there have been a couple other bugs i've found, but nothing this bad)

switters

Reaction score
there was a software update released recently that fixes screens going blank I'm sharing my write up on how to do it. Inside the doc is a link to the TSB that shows what issues this update should fix. I also include links to all software updates to date. I omitted PR39.7 as 39.9 supercedes it and there is no need to install 39.7

Is there any way to figure out if we need this update? When I put my VIN into the uConnect software update site, it says my software is already up to date. Yet I am having the blank screen problem.

Has anyone else tried the procedure described in theRamguy's Google Doc?

I am really regretting not coming to these forums and doing more research before buying my 2022 RAM 1500 Rebel. I love the truck overall, but I would not have bought it had I known how common (and serious) the uConnect software issues are.

switters

Reaction score
Update: I just went outside and started up the truck. The screen came on. I plugged in my iPhone and CarPlay started immediately. Not only that, the CarPlay screen looked different (see photo below) than what I had seen before when I plugged in my phone. Is it possible that FCA finally released an update? Or maybe my software was not up-to-date before, and it updated overnight?

For anyone with an iPhone, is this the screen you see when you plug in your phone?

IMG_2906.jpeg

theRamguy

Reaction score
Update: I just went outside and started up the truck. The screen came on. I plugged in my iPhone and CarPlay started immediately. Not only that, the CarPlay screen looked different (see photo below) than what I had seen before when I plugged in my phone. Is it possible that FCA finally released an update? Or maybe my software was not up-to-date before, and it updated overnight?

For anyone with an iPhone, is this the screen you see when you plug in your phone?

View attachment 131587
My Google doc is for 19-21 systems you have a 22

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 12” screen has been working great until today when I tried to select the Apps option. The screen went black for about a second and then went right back to the screen I was on. Does that every single time I choose the Apps. Basically I cannot view them anymore. Hoping next start cycle all is back to normal.

Been hearing a lot of people talking about doing a reset. Is that the same as the older Uconnect where you push in and hold the two dials for a few seconds till screen resets? Thought maybe it was changed on these.

jdspartan117

Reaction score
Has anyone seen their 12" go black and then turn back on?
continually. and, Home button does not always take me to designated Home Screen I set up. AND split screen navigation and radio display continually loses the navigation display. Dealer has reset twice, I've reset half a dozen time. Still occurs. disappointed with the integrity of the software.

RamCares

Reaction score
continually. and, Home button does not always take me to designated Home Screen I set up. AND split screen navigation and radio display continually loses the navigation display. Dealer has reset twice, I've reset half a dozen time. Still occurs. disappointed with the integrity of the software.
Jdspartan117,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM reiterating your concern, along with your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

William
Ram Cares

lswald

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this? I just had it happen after my battery went dead and I had a jump start. Now the screen won't come on and I'm also getting lots of error codes, i think it had to do with the dead battery and then getting a charge in it. The computer went haywire, I'm hoping the screen comes back up later on.

RamCares

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this? I just had it happen after my battery went dead and I had a jump start. Now the screen won't come on and I'm also getting lots of error codes, i think it had to do with the dead battery and then getting a charge in it. The computer went haywire, I'm hoping the screen comes back up later on.

If you're still experiencing concerns with the screen, we're happy to look into it via private message, lswald.

Steph
Ram Cares

RedlineRebel

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution?
I started to experience the same issue. I went to start my RAM and the screen did not power on. The buttons for the a/c and heater light up on the sides, but nothing on the screen.

I attempted a soft reset where the power and tune buttons are pressed and held down but i got nothing. Also tried disconnecting my battery and still nothing. I noticed my compass on my cluster also isnt working not sure if its related to this. What a bummer to be going through all this.

Users who are viewing this thread