5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen went black

sashby77

Reaction score
Yes, Just bought a 2019 Ram 3500 Limited and under 200 miles, 2nd drive, the 12in screen went completely black. It was -8 this morning and even after warming the truck up it would not work.

sashby77

Reaction score
Unplug battery and plug it back in.
Kinda like when you call maintenance at work and they say turn the master switch off then back on to fix the machine. Except the dragline I operate, kinda hard to just kill the power. I suppose you mean to disconnect the battery leads.

azzx

Reaction score
I have had the screen turn itself off on few occasions. 3 times when my drive duration was around 4 hours.
I had to manually turn it on
wild guess - is it overheating because it was on for few hours and shut itself off to protect the circuits?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has started doing this. Basically rebooting itself while driving. Within a minute or so it returns to the configuration and radio station. Guess I'll try to do a real reboot on it and see what happens.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. The 8.4” screen just went black. I started pressing the power button, screen off button, etc. it finally came back on and said to finish setting up CarPlay. Eventually everything went back to normal.

any idea why this would happen?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. The 8.4” screen just went black. I started pressing the power button, screen off button, etc. it finally came back on and said to finish setting up CarPlay. Eventually everything went back to normal.

any idea why this would happen?
No and the dealer will be no help. Welcome to the club. Sorry.

Wayno

Reaction score
Just had this happen on my 12” uconnect while driving around town. Restarted it twice, with no response. Only 3300 miles.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No and the dealer will be no help. Welcome to the club. Sorry.

Then take it to another dealer --

Has anyone seen their 12" go black and then turn back on?

It is MOST likely the OTA (Over The Air) updates kicking in. (You were supposed to see a message about the update waiting). But, there are TSB's they can follow as the 12" has had many problems related to what you described. There are also forced updates that can be installed using a USB as well.

Gemlin

Reaction score
There is a RECALL on the 12" screens too. They'll reflash the system at the dealer if you take it in.

Charliebunch

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? I just had this happen on my 2020 Ram 2500 12" uconnect. Started the truck up and now display. Completely unresponsive screen,. Satellite radio works and the steering controls work, but no heat/ac, seat controls cameras none of it works. What was the solution? I tried resetting on the steering wheel controls and disconnected the batteries for 1/2 an hour. No luck. Very frustrating.

phrocker

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well. We are too, along with a dead battery after only 12 months. Dealer updated our software earlier this week, so I suspect it's related to the update. A coworker suggested resetting the unit ( hold the volume and tune buttons for 10-15s ). I don't know if this is a solution but will try it next time we have an issue and approach the dealer if it doesn't work. I've found a RamCares post on another forum about a "soft reset of the UConnect System" which I think has a bit more guidance. Again...not sure it'll help, but may be worth a try. I'll post here if I find anything out from a dealer visit. Good luck...

Last edited:

jgmac98

Reaction score
I just had this happen on my 2022 Ram Sport... i've had it where the screen doesn't start up but the radio does, when that happens i find that turning the headlights off and back on seem to get the screen to turn on. I've also had it were the head unit doesn't turn on at all, then after sitting for an hour or so when i start the truck up the screen work...

dealership here says they've seen it at least once before and was glad i had videos of the problems as it's proof of what has happened as it can be difficult/impossible for them to replicate it as there doesn't seem to be a set number of steps to cause it to happen, it's just random. They indicated that it could be a module that needs to be replaced, they didn't give specifics, but once I get more information i'll share it here.

cphillips82

Reaction score
Never had an issue with my 8" screen on my 2019 Ram but 2 nights ago my backup cam didnt come on, then the next day no screen at all. Tried all the buttons as others mentioned. Tried reinserting fuse, nothing. Disconnected battery for 30 seconds to a minute and that did it. First startup after that the screen was back on but looked slightly different and backup cam still didnt come on, but then after restarting again it was back to normal.
Edit: It's a #10 socket to loosen the battery connect FYI

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Every once in awhile my center stack screen wont turn on. Sometimes it fixes itself, sometimes i turn the truck off and on.

Sparcky

Reaction score
Have had my 12” screen go blank 4 or 5 time in the past 1.5 weeks. I have had the truck for 1.5 weeks. Had it at the dealer and they said they reset it, which didn’t help. I will be calling and having some serious words about this with the service Dept and with RAM. Can’t use phone, radio, nav, or anything associated when this happens. Also had it freeze up twice with wireless carplay on the screen.
Dash/radio dimmer also causes an issue for some reason. When going from dim to full, and back to dim, the screen flickers and jumps, and the digital clock on the top disappears and reappears. It also restarts the TOMTOM nav when done 3-4 times. I replicated that a couple times to confirm. I have video of it. Not sure how to upload the video of it

Last edited:

Breagan1029

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? I just had this happen on my 2020 Ram 2500 12" uconnect. Started the truck up and now display. Completely unresponsive screen,. Satellite radio works and the steering controls work, but no heat/ac, seat controls cameras none of it works. What was the solution? I tried resetting on the steering wheel controls and disconnected the batteries for 1/2 an hour. No luck. Very frustrating.
Did you ever figure out what your issue was? I have the same problem and dealer is 7-10 out just to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread