5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad times, 2450 layoffs coming to the Warren plant.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just read the news, with 3700 jobs there, thats a high percentage (66%).

edit-cutting the RAM Classic out. Layoffs sometime in October. That will reduce the plant down to 1 shift from 2 for trucks.

It’s curious that they are dropping the most “affordable” truck (avg msrp close to 50K) which goes mostly to fleets. My small city has dozens of white tradesman quad cab 2x’s in their yard…

So what is the entry level buyer of a new truck supposed to do?
Well, my neighbor just traded off his 2016 Bighorn for a 24’ base 4 cyl turbo Silverado. He got it for $10K off msrp of $49, and they gave him $6K for his trade (a 190,000 mile horrible lifter ticking hemi), so he got a new truck for $33K plus tax and fees. Another RAM buyer gone.

Of course the UAW will have negotiated a decent pay package for them and I don’t have any idea of how long it may last yet its another sign of Stellantis being in trouble.

Last edited:
Just read the news, with 3700 jobs there, thats a high percentage (66%).

edit-cutting the RAM Classic out. Layoffs sometime in October. That will reduce the plant down to 1 shift from 2 for trucks.

It’s curious that they are dropping the most “affordable” truck (avg msrp close to 50K) which goes mostly to fleets. My small city has dozens of white tradesman quad cab 2x’s in their yard…

So what is the entry level buyer of a new truck supposed to do?
Well, my neighbor just traded off his 2016 Bighorn for a 24’ base 4 cyl turbo Silverado. He got it for $10K off msrp of $49, and they gave him $6K for his trade (a 190,000 mile horrible lifter ticking hemi), so he got a new truck for $33K plus tax and fees. Another RAM buyer gone.

Of course the UAW will have negotiated a decent pay package for them and I don’t have any idea of how long it may last yet its another sign of Stellantis being in trouble.
Aside from Ram still making the classic, which manufacturer has continued to make the old style truck alongside the new one?

Aside from Ram still making the classic, which manufacturer has continued to make the old style truck alongside the new one?
Don't know of any yet the Classic sold well to fleets.
It seems like engineers and designers dont know how to go backwards on content and tech so as to reduce costs, thats what the Classic allowed.

Ford has the Ranger, GM the Colorado, they aren’t full sized so there‘s apparently still a need for a less expensive full sized truck.

Sometimes “decontenting” in order to reduce costs isn’t so bad, but people “want their cake and eat it too” with all the tech and complex drivetrains.

A lot of it is EPA/CAFE driven, I understand.

They were going to make a Dakota sized truck at Belvedere and it's in the UAW contract but now Stellantis is saying "No".

Classic was simply never a long term plan.
Writing has been on the wall, those effected have had more than enough notification time, and those that aren’t moved elsewhere will get an incredible benefits package.

Website automotivedive.com said this: “Senior employees represented by the United Auto Workers will receive 52 weeks of supplemental unemployment benefits paid by Stellantis, as well as 52 weeks of transition assistance, the company said. These benefits are in addition to any state unemployment benefits workers may be eligible to receive. Displaced workers will also receive two years of healthcare coverage.“

So they will be taken care of.

Two years of possibly one of the best health care plans out… that’s a HUGE benefit to them.

I also don't really see the need to have two trucks that are so similar. Makes sense to eliminate the classic.

With inflation during the Biden term and post Covid, makes sense that less people want to commit to a new truck. I bought a fairly no frills new 2023 about four months ago and the sticker price was $61.8K. My wife wasn't exactly happy about that and I did consider buying used. Pulled the trigger when it was 20% off and she agreed just to shut me up haha.

My last F150 STX in 2018 was around $40K sticker. The Ram is nicer, but not $20K nicer. Somethings got to give and sounds like lower production is going to be the answer.

The Classic is really RAMs mid-size offering, at least in terms of pricing. But honestly surprised they made it this long, but I also assumed those workers would be transferred to whatever an actual small to mid-sized replacement, which if that happens, seems likely to be built in Mexico.

Other than my Rebel, which I adore, I'm not sure I'll be sticking around with RAM on my next truck, considering both the products and executive decisions at play right now.

Does this mean they are finally going to update the cab on the HD trucks?

The classic held on much longer than anyone else thought, they gradually cut the choices to just a tradesman and warlock models. Lots of shared parts, like the cab is still used on the HD trucks, probably the discontinuation of the Hemi lead to its ultimate demise.

Last edited:
IIRC, the Warren plant was to run until one of the new plants was up and running and then shutdown and retooled for new models like the reg cab shortbed in the new body style. But, what was planned and what actually happens are two different things...

The Classic is really RAMs mid-size offering, at least in terms of pricing. But honestly surprised they made it this long, but I also assumed those workers would be transferred to whatever an actual small to mid-sized replacement, which if that happens, seems likely to be built in Mexico.

Other than my Rebel, which I adore, I'm not sure I'll be sticking around with RAM on my next truck, considering both the products and executive decisions at play right now.
I talk to folks who have a 5th generation and it seems most have a lease are not that enthusiastic as members are on the forum. I started the 4th month with my Ram needing a motor based on it being started and sounding like a bucket of bolts. I don't know how service is with other brands but it will be hard for me to just buy a Ram again.

My dad had a 1966 Polaris and unfortunately it was in an accident and he purchased a 1970 Polaris which was a disaster. Never would even look at a Chrysler product.

Wtf is Stellantis doing

Having owned a 2014 Express myself I really loved that truck. It’s what sparked my interest in a 5th Gen, at first hated them when the Big horn..chrome bumpers, halogen headlight started showing up on lots, it wasn’t until the sport package trucks popped up that I thought hmm let me check one out. I loved how similar the 4th and 5th Gen are with the subtle improvements.

I get asked randomly on job sites from coworkers about what I think about my truck from guys that are currently car owners wanting to get into a pickup. I tell them look at the Classic, it’s very much more price friendly compared to 5th Gen pricing. It’s hard to convince someone that when you could at the time get into a Brand new Classic around the 30-35k as opposed to a 5th Gen that probably starts around 45k+ especially those with a wife and kids.

Give it a few years your Ram lots will be filled with nothing but those damn Hornets that Stellantis wants to push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wtf is Stellantis doing

Having owned a 2014 Express myself I really loved that truck. It’s what sparked my interest in a 5th Gen, at first hated them when the Big horn..chrome bumpers, halogen headlight started showing up on lots, it wasn’t until the sport package trucks popped up that I thought hmm let me check one out. I loved how similar the 4th and 5th Gen are with the subtle improvements.

I get asked randomly on job sites from coworkers about what I think about my truck from guys that are currently car owners wanting to get into a pickup. I tell them look at the Classic, it’s very much more price friendly compared to 5th Gen pricing. It’s hard to convince someone that when you could at the time get into a Brand new Classic around the 30-35k as opposed to a 5th Gen that probably starts around 45k+ especially those with a wife and kids.

Give it a few years your Ram lots will be filled with nothing but those damn Hornets that Stellantis wants to push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Classics were never intended to run as long as they did. It's an old platform. The 5th gen is a better truck overall. And even the last couple years of classics, they started in the mid 40s for pricing.

I talk to folks who have a 5th generation and it seems most have a lease are not that enthusiastic as members are on the forum. I started the 4th month with my Ram needing a motor based on it being started and sounding like a bucket of bolts. I don't know how service is with other brands but it will be hard for me to just buy a Ram again.

My dad had a 1966 Polaris and unfortunately it was in an accident and he purchased a 1970 Polaris which was a disaster. Never would even look at a Chrysler product.

Sounds like lifter bleed down, or you just need to run a thicker (5w-30) and higher quality oil + filter. Yes it makes a big difference in quieting the engine. The mopar filter doesn't use as a high quality ADBV and filters from Royal Purple or Fram Ultra use better material and seal better leading to less lifter bleed down.

Sounds like lifter bleed down, or you just need to run a thicker (5w-30) and higher quality oil + filter. Yes it makes a big difference in quieting the engine. The mopar filter doesn't use as a high quality ADBV and filters from Royal Purple or Fram Ultra use better material and seal better leading to less lifter bleed down.
Thanks for the info.
I've used the Mopar MO339 filter and Penzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) and Rotella 5W-20 both meeting the MS 6395 Mopar approved standard.

Thanks for the info.
I've used the Mopar MO339 filter and Penzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) and Rotella 5W-20 both meeting the MS 6395 Mopar approved standard.

So couple things:
  • the mopar filter uses nitrile whereas RP and Fram Ultra use silicone (seals better/lasts longer, nitrile can get hard and brittle)
  • 5w-20 isn't thick enough IMHO, thicker viscosity offers more protection (higher HT/HS) and also can help quiet a noisy valve train
  • the mopar MS6395 is a weak spec, it helps weed out some junk you might find in a gas station but a bunch of oils exceed the specs (without actually being certified for it) and I'd be running them instead (Redline 5w-30 is a very popular choice, as is HPL's oils, or Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 if you're feeling brave).
  • oils high in Moly also tend to be very quiet, Redline and HPL have oils > 500 ppm and users report very quiet engines.
TL;DR: throw some Redline 5w-30 in with a Fram XG2 filter and listen again after 1000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back