5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusty/Corrosion DASH Frame !!! on my Brand New 2019 Ram Laramie Normal?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NOT NORMAL AT ALL...that is some serious rusting and pitting especially on fasteners that may or may not be related to the safety aspects of the vehicle and compromise them. It almost looks like possible flood damage?
If flood water reached the high, it’d be totaled. Everything would need replaced.
Thank you for your feedback

I am not happy about buying a brand new truck that looks like this already.

I took my truck into a private mechanic and he wasn’t happy that they even call or consider this to be a new truck.

New means new no rust !!!

sure rust will form in time if your not careful but as the vehicle owner it’s on you if that happens or not based on your level of care for your own vehicle.

he thinks the dealership (or transportation company who transported the truck ) something like this happened for moisture to enter the truck to cause this, or the factory installed a rusty part and didn’t care.
Did you buy the truck from a high humidity area? Coastal area? Might have a water leak somewhere causing high humidity inside the truck? Looks normal to me, albeit accelerated at only a year old. I wouldn’t really worry about it. Even if you did get a warranty repair approved, that’s a lot of work to replace something for an unseen cosmetic issue and may not be worth the hassle. Try to ask the dealer to show you another 2019 truck on the lot (If they still have any) to prove that it’s not excessive rust on your truck alluding to a different issue at play here.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Several Photos have been posted .... are you unable to see them?

My Engine Block is all rusty I have seen that before to me that's cast iron and will have rust. Sure it being a 100% new Truck didn't expect it but I get it. The inside rust. This I have never seen before.

My Dealer is claiming its normal and not a warranty issues. I am not even at a warranty issues state of mind I am at WTF wasn't I shown and told about this before buying this Truck if its a know issues. It should be disclosed to me at point of sale. Truck is 2 month old found the rust during my Dash Cam installation.

I have only driven it 20 times .... it was sold to me brand new like this.

having difficulties wrapping my head around this .... that a brand new truck would be like this.

Hi @smokinjo36jt - Just had a chance to respond to your private message!

Mark
RamCares

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
OhhhEmmmGeeee! I will be looking at mine because that is a lot of corrosion/rust! It is hard for me to tell where those areas are in the truck. Could someone elaborate on what covers you removed to see that?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
OhhhEmmmGeeee! I will be looking at mine because that is a lot of corrosion/rust! It is hard for me to tell where those areas are in the truck. Could someone elaborate on what covers you removed to see that?
Just look under the dash you'll see most components before removing panels.
If you want to remove the side cover, use a trim tool to pop it out:

1592406819387.png

STR

Reaction score
^^^ This... the pic that I took was under the steering column. Just put you head down near the pedals and look up. I believe that the OP did this, and also removed a few panels.

Last edited:

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I saw this rust above the pedal area. That one is the steering column!!! What will this look like in 10 years?

20200618_075716.jpg
20200618_075738.jpg

Attachments

• 20200618_075738.jpg
    20200618_075738.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 6

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
This is not normal either... I'd get the dealer to fix it.
Roger that, thanks for the input. I didn't think it was normal either. What kind of parts are they using under there????? How rookie. Are they just cutting corners to save money on mass production hoping the owners would never notice? That's what it seems like.

JayStein

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 that was a one owner here in middle TN. The other day I found the same amount of rust and pitting as the OP. If I didn't know better, I'd say I was looking at my truck. Very disappointing... even more so to have a service manager at the dealership say that it is normal. I was like I just sold a 13 year old truck for this that had less rust. I'm guessing rust inhibitor is no longer a thing in the manufacturing process.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You all must have/had water leaks.
April 2018 build, 38 000 miles, lives in humid SoMd.
Four trips to salty Gulf Coast Florida, cracked rear window frame, granted I caught it right of way.

Attachments

• no rust 1.jpg
    no rust 1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 36
  • no rust 2.jpg
    no rust 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 36
  • no rust 3.jpg
    no rust 3.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread