5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusted Out Oil Pan

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Before it was installed it, I would strip the pan, apply a chromated epoxy primer, and then either have it powder coated or I'd at least apply a good polyurethane topcoat. Imron Elite Single Stage is pretty durable.

I know that seems like a lot of trouble, but I'd want to make the new one as rust resistant as possible before I installed it.
Or you just buy an aluminum replacement so you don't rip your hair out in another 5-10 years.

Av1

Reaction score
Or you just buy an aluminum replacement so you don't rip your hair out in another 5-10 years.
I would do the same thing to an aluminum pan. You do realize aluminum corrodes too, right?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't buy bare aluminum.......
Nobody puts bare steel oil pans on either. If properly protected both will work just fine. If either gets chips down to bare metal they will corrode. Spent many hours in the Navy treating corrosion on aluminum aircraft parts. Even painted parts

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nobody puts bare steel oil pans on either. If properly protected both will work just fine. If either gets chips down to bare metal they will corrode. Spent many hours in the Navy treating corrosion on aluminum aircraft parts. Even painted parts
If properly protected... I guess that's not what Ram did then lol?

tbski100

Reaction score
Just dealing with This now myself. 2019 limited. 29k miles. Oil was leaking and I thought maybe the filter got loose. Dealer found the oil pan heavily rusted out in several areas. Oil seeping out all over. ...And they are on back order. Hopefully they get one soon as I'm going to be going through alot of absorbent.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just dealing with This now myself. 2019 limited. 29k miles. Oil was leaking and I thought maybe the filter got loose. Dealer found the oil pan heavily rusted out in several areas. Oil seeping out all over. ...And they are on back order. Hopefully they get one soon as I'm going to be going through alot of absorbent.
There are plenty of aftermarket options for that too.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Following up from my original post…

Dealer looked at it said not covered under warranty. Not a ‘mechanical issue’ and the corrosion warranty only covers the body.

Got a price to get it done $1000-$1200 at a shop (not the dealer).

Looked into saving the money and doing it myself. Could I do it? Yes. So I want to do it in my driveway without a lift? No. I have two little kids and better things to do with my time.

The worst parts were the front and the bottom by the drain plug. Last weekend I spent two hours wire brushing, wire wheeling, grinding, cleaning, and painting. I used some duplicolor engine paint (as recommended by Derek from VGG! IFKYK) and it came out good enough for the girls I date. At least it will make it last a lot longer. I will just keep and eye on it every 5-10k and paint as needed.

Once I got through the rust the metal was ok. And fortunately no weeping of oil. Although I have been keeping a close eye on my oil pressure!

Regardless for two hours labor and using paint I already had I’m happy enough with it for now.

BostonBLS

Reaction score

If you are going to spend the money to replace stay away from OEM if it’s anything like the original not worth it.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
I haven't owned a singe car\truck that had an oil pan look like that and I have lived in MA my whole life and we put crap all over our roads in the winter.
Frame sure, but not the oil pan.
Same here never I have I seen this. Absolutely ridiculous 3.5 years and 70k it looks like this. Just add it to the list of issues I’ve had I guess….

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
looked at mine, same condition, all rusted 2019 CC non-etorque, hemi 61k ehhhhh

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is something that should never happen especially on a vehicle less than 5 years old. They obviously used cheap material on those pans with an even cheaper paint process. A bunch of newer RAM’s keaking oil all over isn’t good for anybody. Not covering this is a very bad look for the company.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is something that should never happen especially on a vehicle less than 5 years old. They obviously used cheap material on those pans with an even cheaper paint process. A bunch of newer RAM’s keaking oil all over isn’t good for anybody. Not covering this is a very bad look for the company.
Maybe, but who would know. It's not like people see a truck with all of it's oil coming out of it's oil pan on the road.
Only people that have them fail or are looking to buy used would know. They might just be playing the numbers game.

Chrisplm

Reaction score
4.5 years old, 49k miles. Regularly washed in the winter. the rest of the underside has barely any rust. This is now seeping through the pan and 4 dealers near me said they are 3-4 weeks out before they can look at it. Not sure the pan will last that long.

Attachments

• 20230817_173448.jpg
    20230817_173448.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 60

ws6guy

Reaction score
The pan on my 21 is dirty of course but show 0 signs of rust starting. I'll keep an eye on when I'm changing the oil.

Ruffideas

Reaction score
Ugh... I'm in the same boat... got the oil change today, and they notified me that its leaking.

I've been on the fence about getting a new truck, but dealers still want a crazy price for new ones and I'm not ready to give up on my 2019.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember when trucks were built to last, but lately it seems to be more of a race to the bottom. How little can we get away with? What's the warranty, only three years? Well then why would we use good steel and paint? Let's find something cheaper...

Users who are viewing this thread