5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusted Out Oil Pan

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Changed my oil today and as soon as a pulled the drain plug noticed my oil pan is rusting out. Couldn’t believe it. It’s a 2019 with only 70k on it. Never seen this happen before. Anyone else with similar issue?

Not weeping at all yet so that’s good but hoping it’s covered under my extended warranty.

F6C03D9A-C9C8-407F-84A9-6892787A5853.jpeg CBA01F75-1EB8-49EF-AEBD-9EAC12C3DFFF.jpeg 37F638DB-3BEC-4C5C-A25B-A058040822A2.jpeg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There's another post on here about it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You hoping that rust is covered by the extended warranty?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Both threads were on 2019 trucks. Hopefully it's isolated to just a certain run of oil pans in 2019

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a TJ sitting right now with an oil pan about as secure as a screen door from rust. I am not surprised earlier Rams might have the same problem.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That salty crap they spray all over the roads up there probably doesn't help too much either!
I haven't owned a singe car\truck that had an oil pan look like that and I have lived in MA my whole life and we put crap all over our roads in the winter.
Frame sure, but not the oil pan.

jessed1

Reaction score
My old dod
I haven't owned a singe car\truck that had an oil pan look like that and I have lived in MA my whole life and we put crap all over our roads in the winter.
Frame sure, but not the oil pan.
I had a 2005 dodge dakota that looked like that after 8 years of Syracuse salt. When I traded it in, it was weeping.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My old dod

I had a 2005 dodge dakota that looked like that after 8 years of Syracuse salt. When I traded it in, it was weeping.
Sounds like a Dodge/Ram problem. The pans should be aluminum and not rust. Sounds like Ram/Dodge cheaper out and used steel. That's odd and unfortunate.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like it's deep drawn from sheet, which requires pretty soft metal for best results, so probably little or no nickel or chromium content. They could maybe have tinned or galvanized it after forming, but probably didn't, so chip the paint and rust begins immediately.

Mostly I have questions.

First, what corrective maintenance actions could be taken? Like once in awhile run it up on a hoist (or ramps and crawl under), clean it and chip off the rust, dab it with rust converter, then paint with your favorite Rustoleum or whatever?

Also, what are the alternatives? Anyone make better substitute parts that will fit?

And what does it take to replace the pan with OEM or a substitute? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely out?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And what does it take to replace the pan with OEM or a substitute? Can it be done without pulling the engine completely out?
It is a 6.0 hour job and then about $400 in parts(pan, gasket, oil and filter). Drop the front diff out or raise the engine are the options. Service information says to drop front diff.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it's deep drawn from sheet, which requires pretty soft metal for best results, so probably little or no nickel or chromium content. They could maybe have tinned or galvanized it after forming, but probably didn't, so chip the paint and rust begins immediately.

Mostly I have questions.

First, what corrective maintenance actions could be taken? Like once in awhile run it up on a hoist (or ramps and crawl under), clean it and chip off the rust, dab it with rust converter, then paint with your favorite Rustoleum or whatever?

Also, what are the alternatives? Anyone make better substitute parts that will fit?

It's stamped steel. That's the word you are looking for. If it was coated properly, it should hold up. General maintenance z keep an eye on it during oil changes. That should be often enough to catch it before it gets too bad. If needed, hit it with some steel wool or a wire brush, then spray it with paint or other protective coating like POR15

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I meant term, not word. Basically arguing semantics at this point
Was poking a bit of fun, but from a tooling perspective "deep drawn" implies a lot more than just "stamped". Stamping usually implies basic tooling like punching out a two dimensional shape. You might form some shallow dimples at the same time and call it embossing, but drawing implies pulling and stretching sheets around corners into a shape with significant amounts of a third dimension, and it works best with alloys that are both soft and tear-resistant. As steels go, that can also mean not rust-resistant, and FCA was probably also going for cheap.

Av1

Reaction score
Mostly I have questions.

If the rust wasn't too bad, the repairs you and others mentioned would work just fine.

But if it was as bad as the one shown in the OP, I would just replace the pan.

Before it was installed it, I would strip the pan, apply a chromated epoxy primer, and then either have it powder coated or I'd at least apply a good polyurethane topcoat. Imron Elite Single Stage is pretty durable.

I know that seems like a lot of trouble, but I'd want to make the new one as rust resistant as possible before I installed it.

Users who are viewing this thread