5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust prevention??

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey all, coming from an aluminum F-150, the main thing I'm worried about on the new 1500 is rust. I live in an area with a lot of rain (vancouver) and is very moist too. Any suggestions on how to keep the car rust free (shorterm/longterm). Factory rust proofing...blow drying...skid plates...etc

Thanks in advance

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all, coming from an aluminum F-150, the main thing I'm worried about on the new 1500 is rust. I live in an area with a lot of rain (vancouver) and is very moist too. Any suggestions on how to keep the car rust free (shorterm/longterm). Factory rust proofing...blow drying...skid plates...etc

Thanks in advance

Get it Krown. I got my 2014 done and it looks brand new people always ask me what year it is and when I tell them 2014 they can't believe it. Will get my 2019 Rebel done when I get it too.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Get it Krown. I got my 2014 done and it looks brand new people always ask me what year it is and when I tell them 2014 they can't believe it. Will get my 2019 Rebel done when I get it too.

Seems like a pretty good investment for sure. How much did it cost?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty good investment for sure. How much did it cost?

I got discount on mine being a CAA member but $130 a year done annually and they have a guarantee for the life of vehicle not rusting or they will fix it.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
I got discount on mine being a CAA member but $130 a year done annually and they have a guarantee for the life of vehicle not rusting or they will fix it.

Sounds like a deal to me! I'll get it done when I get my vehicle.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
These new vehicles are chemically treated so well from the factory that just simple washes weakly will keep it looking new for 10+ years. You can spend the money on a pressure washer instead and not have to worry about coatings. I've never seen a 4th gen with a rusted body, so I'm expecting mine will fair the same with regular washes.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 2010 ram that I purchased nesw and kept 8-1/2 years. No rust at all and I see some of these with rockers totally gone. I live in Michigan so it sees lots of salt. Best prevention is to take good care of it. Wash the salt off from behind the rockers and quarters. Wash the door jambs and seems routinely. Even with that eventually it time will catch up. Bottoms line is you should be able to get 8-10 years and still look like new. Keep in mind just because the F-150’s are aluminum does’t mean they don’t have Corrossion issues. Research that or issues with mustang hoods and you will find all kinds of problems. The aluminum still corrodes and the repairs are harder and more costly to perform

drsubie

Reaction score
Unless they treat their roads in Vancouver any differently than Seattle, I doubt body rust will be an issue depending on how long you keep it. I have had 10 year old cars w/out body rust in the Pacific NW, but after 4 years driving in the midWest, it was a rust belt due to all the road salt...

Users who are viewing this thread