5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTFM: Read the F***ing Manual!

Awood05

Reaction score
I am a product support technician for an American company that manufactures construction equipment. Many calls I get could easily be answered if the caller had looked in the operation manual that ANSI code requires is attached to each machine
But we all know
Instructions are just another mans opinion!
I’m After Sales and Technical Support for a global truck equipment manufacturer and I experience the exact same thing on a daily basis.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have the paper manual and the digital one.

I’ve read the whole thing few times, over the past 2+ years, and I keep it right next to me on the end table.
Makes it easy to grab it quickly for reference to questions posed by those who don’t read it, or to verify something that I didn’t know about that a fellow forum member posted up.

I have always read owners manuals for products I’ve purchased, assembly instructions not so much every time. ;)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How old are you? I remember those days. What happened to the back of the cereal box?????????? Cheerios the same front and back or is that 2 fronts?
Gotta be two fronts at this point. Nothing beats reading a box of Froot Loops or Capn Crunch :cool: No shame in my game...49

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea, I've got it pretty bad. My wife just bought a new toaster... I read the manual cover to cover. I also keep boxes when I purchase electronics. Attic is full!
You should be reading the entire toaster manual cover to cover...those things can be dangerous! :p

jimchi

Reaction score
I tried to read the manual, but it was written by a safety committee, Warning! Caution! is on every other page. Sometimes the whole page is a warning. The warnings about the seat heater are kind of amusing in a scary way, and the children, my God the children! Apparently you shouldn't leave them unattended, after 90 pages or so I came across that warning at least 10 times
Not by the safety committee, but by the accountants. It costs (I'm estimating here) less than a cent per manual to add a warning, which may add up to a couple hundred thousand dollars in cost over the lifetime of a vehicle model. Although it sounds like a lot, it's a lot cheaper than a 4 million dollar settlement after someone got hurt or killed in an accident involving the vehicle. Each and every one of those warnings is in the manual specifically because someone did what the warning is advising against and sued.

A lot of my work involves product liability (I am not a lawyer though!), and one of the things investigators look for after an accident involving a subject product is to look at that product's manual. If there is evidence the owner of that product was doing something specifically warned against in the manual, their claims against the product lose a lot of their weight.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t know about the tire fill alert. Going to go read about it now.
My tire fill alert must be broke as it has never worked. It is indeed enabled in the settings.

arptsprt

Reaction score
I have looked and cannot find any reference in the 2020 manual about tire fill alert. I know it’s name sounds intuitive but what is it supposed to do and how?

And the truck is running when you check it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have looked and cannot find any reference in the 2020 manual about tire fill alert. I know it’s name sounds intuitive but what is it supposed to do and how?
If your tire pressure is low, you can fill the air in the tires until the HORN beeps telling you that you hit 36psi. It is an audible alert that the tire pressure is at the correct value. You should do it with the truck running.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the truck is running when you check it?
The last time yes. Had a slow leak in front passenger side tire. Forgot to check when I left house. Once I started driving and the pressure updated low pressure warning came on. Drove to gas station and left truck running while adding air. Horn never honked, signals didn't flash. My wife yelled out the window when it got to 36psi.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tire fill alert does not need the engine running to work. The ignition must be in the RUN mode, with the transmission in park.

Only one tire can be filled at a time when using the Tire Fill Alert system.

The Tire Fill Alert Feature cannot be entered if an existing TPM system fault is set to “active“ or if the system is in deactivation mode. The system will be activated when there is over 1.5 psi of change in tire pressure .

The hazard lamps will come on to confirm the vehicle is in Tire Fill Alert. When Tire Fill Alert Mode is entered, the tire pressure display screen will be shown in the instrument cluster.

Operation:

The horn will chirp to let the user know when to stop filling the tire, when it reaches recommended pressure.
Tire Fill Alert will only work with the recommended tire pressure posted on the placard found inside the driver side door frame.

The horn will chirp three times if the tire is over filled and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to inflate the tire.

The horn will chirp once again when enough air is let out to reach the proper inflation level. The horn will also chirp three times if the tire is then under-inflated, and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to deflate the tire.

Tire Fill Alert will only work with the recommended tire pressure posted on the placard found inside the driver side door frame.

Last edited:

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also read all the manuals I get, although oddly, my engineer wife does not!! She does however have a fascination with the label maker she bought. and yes, it has a label on it that says "label maker" She even has different colors of ink that must have a secret code to them, :unsure:

Oh, and I read in my fire extinguisher manual that boxes from electronics are extremely flammable and may cause cancer.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am a product support technician for an American company that manufactures construction equipment. Many calls I get could easily be answered if the caller had looked in the operation manual that ANSI code requires is attached to each machine
But we all know
Instructions are just another mans opinion!
Same with forums. You’d think the “search’ tab was completely missing...

SilasB

Reaction score
Ran across this while digging through the manual.

p 418. Emergency Gas Can Refueling. 1. Retrieve funnel from spare tire storage area.

Immediately began wondering how they secured this near the spare tire, under the vehicle, and why make it such a pain in the *** to retrieve. Not that I ever plan on running out of fuel but you never know. Thought about it for a bit and then looked under the passenger seat. Bingo.

Poorly worded. Manuals, are mostly written by humans who can and do make mistakes.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ran across this while digging through the manual.

p 418. Emergency Gas Can Refueling. 1. Retrieve funnel from spare tire storage area.

Immediately began wondering how they secured this near the spare tire, under the vehicle, and why make it such a pain in the *** to retrieve. Not that I ever plan on running out of fuel but you never know. Thought about it for a bit and then looked under the passenger seat. Bingo.

Poorly worded. Manuals, are mostly written by humans who can and do make mistakes.
As someone who didn't read the whole manual, I wondered what that funnel was for under the seat; I thought it was just a nice perk for adding oil 😜

Users who are viewing this thread