5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country 2" level on OR Laramie w/ pics

JBeckman

Reaction score
I figure I would write this up real quick while I wait on my alignment appointment.

Out of the box you get 2 front strut spacers. As @VaderRebel mentioned in a different post, they are NOT a true 2". They are actually 1 7/16" spacers. So keep that in mind if it matters.

The paperwork to install is pretty solid. They offer a complete list of tools needed and step by step instructions. However 1 thing I would add for tools is a 3' pry bar. Just to assist with installing the UCA.

I did this job by myself in my driveway. And it took me about 1.5hrs in total. Worked on vehicles all my life, and was pretty simple. Even if you have never done anything like this before, still quite easy. Be safe and take your time.

Here are the measurements of the front from factory. 20181011_092108.jpg
Here is the rear.
20181011_092131.jpg
Once your truck is on stands and the tires are off. Pop off tie rod bolt, lower away bar link bolt and UCA bolt. The instructions are pretty straight forward.

Strut is out and on the bench. Rented a coil spring tool from orallys for $55. Which I get back once returned. Take your time here and compress coil. Here I have the spacer installed. Make alignment Mark's just to help reassembly. **FYI** I had to take a old 18mm socket and grind down to make it extremely shallow. So the tip of the strut would stick through the socket end. Held socket with vice grips and used a 8mm socket to take nut off strut.
20181011_100607.jpg

Putting the new strut on in is pretty straight forward as well. Reverse steps.

Now here is where I needed a 3' pry bar. Once you have strut installed and bolted down, I used the pry bar to push the UCA down and get the UBJ seated into the knuckle. 20181011_100952.jpg

Once everything was bolted back down and torqued, installed tires and took off stands. Drive it around the block real quick to settle the suspension.

Here are the measurement after install but w/o the alignment.

Front
20181011_110919.jpg Rear
20181011_110945.jpg

So after all this fun, and pre alignment, I'm almost even between f&r @ 39 1/2". I am going to assume one the alignment is done, the front will drop a little.

I will post before and after pics of my truck after the alignment.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence abt doing it themselves.
Shop cost would be $375 w/alignment for install.
Alignment alone is $75.

Jeremy

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice write up, can you snap a picture of your upper ball joint from the back side? What is the factory part number on your UCA it should be cast into the underside of the arm near the ball joint?

JBeckman

Reaction score
Nice write up, can you snap a picture of your upper ball joint from the back side? What is the factory part number on your UCA it should be cast into the underside of the arm near the ball joint?
Here is the UCA factory part # 20181011_122827.jpg
Pic from the back side. NO alignment yet.

Attachments

• 20181011_122713.jpg
    20181011_122713.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 192

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the UCA factory part # View attachment 6136
Pic from the back side. NO alignment yet.
Thanks, Do you plan on replacing the upper control arms? it appears by your part number they are the same arms on the offroad package as the regular 4x4. I want to go 3" front 1" rear on mine I don't have the ORP. My end results would be the same as yours 39-1/2" front and rear. I don't like the looks of that UBJ though.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Thanks, Do you plan on replacing the upper control arms? it appears by your part number they are the same arms on the offroad package as the regular 4x4. I want to go 3" front 1" rear on mine I don't have the ORP. My end results would be the same as yours 39-1/2" front and rear. I don't like the looks of that UBJ though.

I agree with you on the angle. I have to search through some of the posts here. I found someone saying they can purchase the UCA from the mopar lift separately. I may go that route.

Crappy part is the shop that was supposed to do my alignment cannot. They dont have "update" for the rack. So I scheduled with dealer for tomorrow.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Looks good, hows the ride quality? (nice flag btw!)
Thanks! I have several stars and bars flying around as well. Lol
I honestly couldn't tell any difference regarding the ride. It is noticeable when driving. You look forward instead of down. If that makes sense.

At the dealer tomorrow I will get a price for mopar UCA. And check the UBJ angle again. If questionable, I'll just order some arms and be done. No need to stress anything prematurely lol

wolf1776

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell any difference regarding the ride. It is noticeable when driving. You look forward instead of down. If that makes sense.

At the dealer tomorrow I will get a price for mopar UCA. And check the UBJ angle again. If questionable, I'll just order some arms and be done. No need to stress anything prematurely lol
I'm surprised the ride quality is still the same or extremely close to factory. I thought it would have stiffened it up a lot. That's great news though. Think I may go with the same kit then. Keep us posted after you go to the dealer!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with you on the angle. I have to search through some of the posts here. I found someone saying they can purchase the UCA from the mopar lift separately. I may go that route.

Crappy part is the shop that was supposed to do my alignment cannot. They dont have "update" for the rack. So I scheduled with dealer for tomorrow.

Yeah I was thinking about getting the Mopar 2" arms, not sure how well they correct the BJ angle though, I haven't seen pics of the UBJ post installation with the truck on the ground just sitting on the rack with the suspension at full droop and the arm doesn't appear to be all that different than the sock arms. Cheapest place I found them below. Although I can't confirm they actually have them in stock ready to ship or if it's just a part number in their system with a price attached I have been waiting to see some pics before pulling the trigger.

moparwholesaleparts.com

Right side p/n 68323530AA
Left side p/n 68323531AA

JBeckman

Reaction score
I already had the factor 1" with the ORP. So the ride was a little stiffer than one w/o the ORP. However adding the additional lift really didnt change much. Still is a great ride.

I would like to find somewhere where there is a side by side comparison of the factory UCA and the Mopar. I would have to assume it helps the angle in some way. Otherwise why brand a new part # and offer it in a kit. Right? Lol

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already had the factor 1" with the ORP. So the ride was a little stiffer than one w/o the ORP. However adding the additional lift really didnt change much. Still is a great ride.

I would like to find somewhere where there is a side by side comparison of the factory UCA and the Mopar. I would have to assume it helps the angle in some way. Otherwise why brand a new part # and offer it in a kit. Right? Lol

I want to see the same thing, I just don't want to be the guy that invests a hundred bucks to see it. Lol but yeah I agree why would you offer them if they don't do something

JBeckman

Reaction score
Truck looks great, what are you going to do about them itty bitty tires? The wheel wells on these trucks are huge.

Actually there is a member here that has a set of Rebel wheels that I am going to get. Will just use the falcon that I currently have until next summer. Then I'm going to go with a set of 285 or 295 goodyear duratrac.

Going to ask my dealer if they will be interested in my factory wheels. Maybe barter for a set of mopar running boards.

I want to get a set of fuel D606. However the 1200 price tag for the 4 isnt in the stars at the moment. Lol especially when the tires are another 1500.

Lawdog

Reaction score

I am having the dealer install my MOPAR lift while the truck is there waiting on a new side step bar damaged in transport before I take delivery. I asked the owner of the dealer, my salesman, to have the mechanic take some photo's as he installs the kit. Comparisons between the stock and Fox struts and the stock and new UCA's. I could easily do the lift as I have installed lifts for years, but I can work 8 hours OT to pay the dealer to do it and then MOPAR can't say a word. AND I don't get dirty

Dmart255

Reaction score

Any updates? How's the ubj angle, did you end up ordering the uca's? I'm debating whether I need both the spacers and new ucas

Users who are viewing this thread